Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Re: Airush Ultra: one strut kite that meets expectations of a ram air lover

Postby Bletti » Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:32 am

pikovsg wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:27 am
@Mitaka - quite a bit of truth to what you are saying, but in winds that light, weight is almost everything. Design of kite/ratio can help a tiny, but weight triumphs everything. The Cloud 13.4D will fly better in less wind than the 15m Ultra. That's a fact - I tried it. However, based on a beach test and the TT session, I think Ultra has more power. Which could man if you fly it well, it gets you down lower. Will have to test it.

The Cloud is about 0.5lbs lighter. Curious about the 12m Ultra - that one may stay in less air than the Cloud due to weight and the added strut design.
The 13.4m cloud is ~1lb (0.5 kg) lighter than the 12m ultra, or 1.7lbs lighter than an equivalent sized 13.4 ultra. I agree that profile is important, but when the wind is super light to the point the kite is barely hanging in the air, a kite that's 33% heavier won't respond or stay in the air as well.

Wielandt
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Denmark
Favorite Beaches: Holten
Farø
Style: HF,
Gear: Naish Draft, Cabrinha Apollo, Airush Ultra, Storm Voyager, Gong strutless
LFSolo
Moses HF.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Wielandt » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi guys

Recently got myself a 9 and a 12 m Airush Ultra's. I use them for foiling and can compare them with LF Solos and Storm Voyager and Gong, both struttless in the same sizes.

When I started out foiling 2-3 years ago I bought LF Solo's because they where light and easy to relaunch. Before that I used Naish Draft's for TT and jumping.

The solo's did the job, but I wanted something even ligther and bought the Voyager/Gong. Those felt way lighter to foil than the Solo and just as easy to relaunch. The strutless are IMO more unstable when the wind picks up and you get overpowered, but it's amazing in how light wind you can fly them. IMO there are a noticeable different between the Solo and the struttless in marginal low wind. I never experienced the struttless fall out of the sky, no matter how little wind there was. All in all the Solo,s felt heavy compared to the struttless.

The Ultras are like the struttless very easy to handle in next to no wind. I have the same secure feeling that they stay up there no matter what....Compared to the struttless I feel that the Ultra reacts a bit faster when looping etc. and also drift better. For sure the Ultra are more stable when a bit overpowered....

Soo my currently quiver is 15 m Voyager, for the "no" wind days, 12 and 9 ultras for in between and 6.5 Solo for +16 knots.

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:07 pm

That's a nice quiver , now can you compare the 12 ultra to the 15 storm .

Mitaka
Frequent Poster
Style: wave riding
Gear: Cabrinha Drifter, BRM Cloud D0, F-One MITU, KETOS foil

Postby Mitaka » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:47 am

@Pikovsg & Bletti
In my statement I was talking generally and not specifically about 13.4 Cloud vs 12m Airush Ultra. :)

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:39 pm

Wielandt wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:27 pm
Hi guys

Recently got myself a 9 and a 12 m Airush Ultra's. I use them for foiling and can compare them with LF Solos and Storm Voyager and Gong, both struttless in the same sizes.

When I started out foiling 2-3 years ago I bought LF Solo's because they where light and easy to relaunch. Before that I used Naish Draft's for TT and jumping.

The solo's did the job, but I wanted something even ligther and bought the Voyager/Gong. Those felt way lighter to foil than the Solo and just as easy to relaunch. The strutless are IMO more unstable when the wind picks up and you get overpowered, but it's amazing in how light wind you can fly them. IMO there are a noticeable different between the Solo and the struttless in marginal low wind. I never experienced the struttless fall out of the sky, no matter how little wind there was. All in all the Solo,s felt heavy compared to the struttless.

The Ultras are like the struttless very easy to handle in next to no wind. I have the same secure feeling that they stay up there no matter what....Compared to the struttless I feel that the Ultra reacts a bit faster when looping etc. and also drift better. For sure the Ultra are more stable when a bit overpowered....

Soo my currently quiver is 15 m Voyager, for the "no" wind days, 12 and 9 ultras for in between and 6.5 Solo for +16 knots.
Hey Wielant,
Can you please elaborate more on the comparison between the 12 Solo and the 12 Ultra

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:52 pm

Tested the Ultra 15 on a calm day. Decided to keep the 13.4 Cloud D.

alexrider
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: foils and foils

Postby alexrider » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:01 pm

A new kite on the block to compete with the Ultra: the RRD Emotion MK3. It's the strutless MK2 to which one strut was added. Wise move.
Seen a hydrofoil rider with a MK3 17 m a few days ago in very marginal conditions (6-7 knots). Was looking good, very clean canopy, turning fast for a 17. Less of a Delta shape and more beef at the tips than the Ultra, which makes me speculate that it could be somewhat harder to relaunch, but on the other hand should be less likely to drop when held low at the edge of the window in light airs.
They come in sizes 3, 5, 7, 9, 10.5, 12, 14.5 and 17.
Cannot wait to try it. I did weigh it at 3.6 kg, which compares favourably with the Ultra 15 at 3.4 kg. Having the projected area of these kites would be useful for a better weight/area comparison.

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:18 am

Looking forward to your thoughts on the RRD.

I sold the Ultra 15 for good and kept the Cloud D 13.4. It's a good kite for what it is, but it simply can't compete with the Cloud. Was really psyched about the Ultra too. What's better about the Cloud:

- turning speed (way faster)
- low end foiling (Cloud stays up in roughly 1-2 knots less of wind)
- weight (Cloud is 2.3 lbs lighter - that's a LOT)
- relaunch in water (yes, believe it or not)
- stability in low wind
- wave riding
- pack size (Cloud is about 1/2 the size when packed)
- feels lighter in hand (that's a Clincher for me)

I love the idea behind the Ultra and it still boosts better than the Cloud, but unfortunately at 7.2 lbs it's still too heavy. I suspect the same thing will happen with the RRD. In conditions below 7-8 knots you need a kite that weighs 4-5 lbs or less, otherwise it will at some point drop out of the sky. Which is what happens to the Ultra in very low wind. The Cloud is 4.3 lbs. I wonder if the 12 Ultra would actually have more low end for foiling than a 15.

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:37 pm

pikovsg wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:18 am
I wonder if the 12 Ultra would actually have more low end for foiling than a 15.
That's the same question I asked myself and calculated the weight to surface ratio of both, finding that there is a negligible advantage for the 15.
If the aerodynamics is equal for both sizes, then both will fall at the same low end. But that's theory. 8)
I doubt the 15 has a tangible difference for the extra 1 knot at 5 knots. The wind force difference between 6 and 5 knots is ~44% while the extra surface is only 25%.
Of course the practical way to know is comparing both back to back. Maybe I'll have a chance to test a 15 , should I convince the dealer to open one for the purpose :naughty:
For the time being, the Ultra 12 is all I need for my practical 7-10 knots purposes. It absolutely doesn't fall in that range.

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:58 am

abel wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:37 pm
pikovsg wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:18 am
I wonder if the 12 Ultra would actually have more low end for foiling than a 15.
That's the same question I asked myself and calculated the weight to surface ratio of both, finding that there is a negligible advantage for the 15.
If the aerodynamics is equal for both sizes, then both will fall at the same low end. But that's theory. 8)
I doubt the 15 has a tangible difference for the extra 1 knot at 5 knots. The wind force difference between 6 and 5 knots is ~44% while the extra surface is only 25%.
Of course the practical way to know is comparing both back to back. Maybe I'll have a chance to test a 15 , should I convince the dealer to open one for the purpose :naughty:
For the time being, the Ultra 12 is all I need for my practical 7-10 knots purposes. It absolutely doesn't fall in that range.
You can check this thread and video on Seabreeze as well https://www.seabreeze.com.au/forums/Kit ... nots-winds

Return to “Kitesurfing”