North Evo vs. Dice

Forum for kitesurfers
kitegirls
Medium Poster
Gear: North Kites and Click Bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

North Evo vs. Dice

Postby kitegirls » Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:47 am

If you could pick one for all sizes in your quiver for hooked-in freestyle/freeride 10 months per year and 2-3 months per year surf which would it be and why?

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Re: North Evo vs. Dice

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:07 pm

Ideally you should try to get demos. I think you're on Maui and the local shop should have both models available for demo. If you're somewhere else in North America feel free to PM me and I'll see if I can set you up with a demo. However, to give you an idea of the differences I've noticed from personal use and feedback at demos:

The simple answer is that they'll both work. Which I would recommend depends on what you mean by 'freestyle' and 'surf'.

The Evo is better for hooked-in, sent-kite moves like spins, board-offs, big-air, etc. The Dice will work for those types of moves as well, but it will give you less drift and less forgiveness if you're a little off on your timing with redirecting the kite. I would favor the Dice for pop-based freestyle/wakestyle, which is generally unhooked. For kiteloop-based freestyle (hooked or unhooked) they both work, the Evo is much quicker around and is much less punishing when you screw it up while the Dice will be a more consistent, more powerful pull.

For waves, if you like parking your kite and riding down-the-line where you're using mostly the power of the wave as the kite drifts downwind with you (hooked or unhooked), the Dice is the way to go. It is lighter so it drifts a little better and when hanging low in one position it holds that position really well. The Evo has better range (more power and more depower) and is a little quicker, so if you like to move the kite as you ride a wave, often matching your movement up and down the wave with sweeping the kite back and forth, it will work better as it likes to move and is more easily shut off even if you've got the kite in the middle of the window. You need pretty good conditions to get the most out of the Dice while the Evo will probably be easier to use for crappier conditions and/or for less experienced wave riders.

Hope this helps and if you've got more specific questions you're always welcome to PM me.

-Dan

K-I
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby K-I » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:18 pm

:thumb:

potato
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 68kg
Gear: North Rebel 2018 9m
North Rebel 2018 12m
Duotone Juice 2020 15m
Nobile 50Fifty 140cm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby potato » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:58 pm

Hey Dan!
What is your take on the applications of Evo vs Dice for the 2020 or 2021 series? Have they changed?
I read that both kites went through quite a few changes.

I am looking to start completing a new set of kites early next year that would fit my progression (I shared a set Rebels so far, but am moving away).

I am looking to leverage faster kiteloops in hooked in jumps, go high for rotations out of pop and to start riding unhooked.

Advice would be much appreciated!

andikite
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 77
Local Beach: Matalascañas, Huelva, Spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa, Cádiz, Spain
Caños de Meca, Cádiz, Spain
Isla Canela, Huelva, Spain
Matalascañas, Huelva, Spain
Style: Strapless
Gear: Duotone Dice 6, 9, 12.
Duotone Clickbar 22-24
Duotone whip SLS 5'1
Mystic Majestic 2020 Harness

Postby andikite » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:41 am

kitegirls wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:47 am
If you could pick one for all sizes in your quiver for hooked-in freestyle/freeride 10 months per year and 2-3 months per year surf which would it be and why?
Adittionaly to Dan's Comments.

I use Dice for these purposes since 2015. The main difference for me between these two kites is the steering of the kite. Dice has much more direct feeling because wingtips are designed in the same plane as pigtails/lines of your bar (open-C shape), maybe kite doesn't turn quicker than Evo, but it starts to turn earlier. Is a more precise kite, where timing for going high in jumps is more important than Evo.

Today I could try Dice 12 meters 2021 with new flite 99 2021 lines and I have to say that steering is amazing. Only 12 knots gusting 14 knots were enough to enjoy a freeride session with new Jaime twintip 2021.

Thanks to Jaime and the rest of Duotone team for this "mini test" in Isla Canela, Huelva, Spain.

Return to “Kitesurfing”