Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

new 2017/2018 Naish Boxer

Forum for kitesurfers
Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Re: new 2017/2018 Naish Boxer

Postby Dirk » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:15 pm

clint2070 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:11 am
Strekke wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:29 am
! Is it lighter ? I have my doubts on that.
I believe the cloth itself is heavier, but the kites´weight stayed at least the same. I weighed 8m 2016 Pivot and 8m 2017 and the 2017 was slightly lighter. But I think my kitchen scale has tolerances.
In the 2017 model they were able to reduce a bit of the reinforcements like areas where the cloth was doubled. Still solid reinforcements.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:27 pm

Whats your take on the Boxer in a large size as a surf kite? What about for jumping?

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:19 pm

magnusod wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:41 am
clint2070 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:25 am
magnusod wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:45 am
Great post Clint. Interested to hear how your thoughts on the Slaish vs Pivot. Is it all better in the surf or do you feel you loose on the low end/upwind capabilties to get a faster kite that drifts better?
Bro ! I only bought the 10m Slash and Ive only had 2 sessions on it but I love it ! Finally a powered surf kite ! I love my pivots ! They drift good but still have low end power and turn speed without launching your ass 3 waves down after kite looping it. The only thing about the pivot is if you commit to a wave and at the last second decide it was a bad decision, Looping your kite to get the hell out of dodge might not help you ! haha ! The Slash has constant power without heavy bar pressure.It also has more drift than the pivot andt gives me a really good sense of where it is without being overwhelming. Its got really good low end, turns fast, stays where you put , doesn't shoot through the window like my old rabbit kites. Its definitetly different than any of my previous wave kites.I don't know why Naish is marketing it as a side shore/side off kite ! I don't have those conditions here in Southern CA. It works well in side on.The only thing that might make it non beginner friendly or wave specific is if I hold the bar in it doesn't back stall but does put on the brakes a bit. I wouldn't call it a unhooked wave kite. It also has good pop for strapless airs like the pivot. The only time I used it with a TT was in La Ventana and it was to qualify for the crossing so I don't know if its good for jumping on a TT ! Ive never tried it. My friends have North NEOs and after flying them the only thing I was envious about was the drifting of the Neo compared to The pivot. The pivot to me me seemed better in all other aspects especially low end. The Slash drifts ! And it has power ! Anyway, I should have started a post on it not make such a huge reply.
No worries bro, I really appreciate your detailed answer. While you're at it..:-)..and more related to the topic. I've just started switching my kite quiver over to Naish starting with the Pivot 11. It replaced a LF Solo 12 and I still have Airush Wave 5, 7 and 9 which in, the hope not so long future, will be replaced by the Slash.
Before that I need a specific light wind kite above my Pivot 11. I got the Pivot 11 as I wanted a much faster kite than the Solo 12 and a lot of guys riding the Pivot pointed out that the 11 was significantly faster than the 12. While searching Pivot topics on KF I believe it was you who had the Pivot 14 as your light wind kite. Has the Boxer changed that or do you still feel that the Pivot 14 has a definite edge over the Boxer 12 in light wind?
Wow ! Thats a good one. The Boxer will stay in the air in lighter wind but not sure if it will have the low end of the Pivot 14m while on a surfboard or TT. Ill try it next time theres some wind here. I think Sunday and Monday we have a forecast. It should drift really well. I worry about dropping it in the surf too. The pivot re launches really quick. Not sure if the boxer will too. Ive only dropped the Boxer in winds that were like 6-9mph. The pivot Rocks as long as the average is 12mph or more. Ill keep you updated on that. I was just going to use it as my foil boarding kite.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,

Postby clint2070 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:25 pm

tautologies wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:27 pm
Whats your take on the Boxer in a large size as a surf kite? What about for jumping?
Ive only used it for foiling. I attempted 2 jumps with my foil so far. The first attempt my timing was on and it scared the crap out of me. Shot me straight up. landed soft on my back too. Second attempt I just surfaced the foil and skipped like a flat rock right under the kite and it fell out. Today was going to be my 11th time foiling but its 5-10mph here. Ill see when I take it in the surf with my surfboard if its has any pop for strapless airs but I don't see myself using a TT until I travel again and that could be in the fall. Sorry !

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:07 am

clint2070 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:25 pm
Ive only used it for foiling. I attempted 2 jumps with my foil so far. The first attempt my timing was on and it scared the crap out of me. Shot me straight up. landed soft on my back too. Second attempt I just surfaced the foil and skipped like a flat rock right under the kite and it fell out. Today was going to be my 11th time foiling but its 5-10mph here. Ill see when I take it in the surf with my surfboard if its has any pop for strapless airs but I don't see myself using a TT until I travel again and that could be in the fall. Sorry !
no worries....it makes sense.
On jumping with a foil....so back when I foiled for jumping I always imagined going off a wave for jumping to get max height. So more patience and a slightly different timing than a TT where its more immediate.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster

Postby clint2070 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:22 am

tautologies wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:07 am
clint2070 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:25 pm
no worries....it makes sense.
On jumping with a foil....so back when I foiled for jumping I always imagined going off a wave for jumping to get max height. So more patience and a slightly different timing than a TT where its more immediate.
Yah ! HaHa! Im just worried that foil is going to chop my head off !

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:39 pm

clint2070 wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:22 am
For me the worst was always when the foil detoured opposite direction of where I thought it would go...that had a prett decent impact on my shins and my face tended to hit the water just beside the foil. That said, I think the current foils seems to be better in terms of control...I also tried to go fast on a LOW AR blade which wasn't really feasible. The jumping was never really an issue.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster

Postby clint2070 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:59 am

tautologies wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:39 pm
clint2070 wrote:
Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:22 am
For me the worst was always when the foil detoured opposite direction of where I thought it would go...that had a prett decent impact on my shins and my face tended to hit the water just beside the foil. That said, I think the current foils seems to be better in terms of control...I also tried to go fast on a LOW AR blade which wasn't really feasible. The jumping was never really an issue.
Yah, I don't really care about speed. I just love having more kitable days here in CA. If its 13mph or more I would much rather be on my surfboard !Im not out to win any races, just carve and have fun in light wind. Ive read some comments on here where people are talking down about the low AR foils. Im the only one of my friends that has a low AR foil and they can't believe how far Ive come in just 11 sessions. They've been at it for over a year. Im already about to take off my straps. Or at least see how it goes w/o them. I can't even jibe a surfboard with straps. I don't see how Ill be able to jibe on my foil w them. I just keep tripping over them.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster

Postby clint2070 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:57 am

magnusod wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:41 am
clint2070 wrote:
Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:25 am
magnusod wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:45 am
Great post Clint. Interested to hear how your thoughts on the Slaish vs Pivot. Is it all better in the surf or do you feel you loose on the low end/upwind capabilties to get a faster kite that drifts better?
Bro ! I only bought the 10m Slash and Ive only had 2 sessions on it but I love it ! Finally a powered surf kite ! I love my pivots ! They drift good but still have low end power and turn speed without launching your ass 3 waves down after kite looping it. The only thing about the pivot is if you commit to a wave and at the last second decide it was a bad decision, Looping your kite to get the hell out of dodge might not help you ! haha ! The Slash has constant power without heavy bar pressure.It also has more drift than the pivot andt gives me a really good sense of where it is without being overwhelming. Its got really good low end, turns fast, stays where you put , doesn't shoot through the window like my old rabbit kites. Its definitetly different than any of my previous wave kites.I don't know why Naish is marketing it as a side shore/side off kite ! I don't have those conditions here in Southern CA. It works well in side on.The only thing that might make it non beginner friendly or wave specific is if I hold the bar in it doesn't back stall but does put on the brakes a bit. I wouldn't call it a unhooked wave kite. It also has good pop for strapless airs like the pivot. The only time I used it with a TT was in La Ventana and it was to qualify for the crossing so I don't know if its good for jumping on a TT ! Ive never tried it. My friends have North NEOs and after flying them the only thing I was envious about was the drifting of the Neo compared to The pivot. The pivot to me me seemed better in all other aspects especially low end. The Slash drifts ! And it has power ! Anyway, I should have started a post on it not make such a huge reply.
No worries bro, I really appreciate your detailed answer. While you're at it..:-)..and more related to the topic. I've just started switching my kite quiver over to Naish starting with the Pivot 11. It replaced a LF Solo 12 and I still have Airush Wave 5, 7 and 9 which in, the hope not so long future, will be replaced by the Slash.
Before that I need a specific light wind kite above my Pivot 11. I got the Pivot 11 as I wanted a much faster kite than the Solo 12 and a lot of guys riding the Pivot pointed out that the 11 was significantly faster than the 12. While searching Pivot topics on KF I believe it was you who had the Pivot 14 as your light wind kite. Has the Boxer changed that or do you still feel that the Pivot 14 has a definite edge over the Boxer 12 in light wind?
I just found this on the web. They explain the slash a little better than me ! haha
http://www.naishkites.com/kite-lowdown- ... ite-range/

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:04 pm

Thanks, great video!

Return to “Kitesurfing”