Forum for kitesurfers
tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Lift Electric Motor Foil

Postby tautologies » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:11 am

DIY-eFoil wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:19 am

I dont think the build is worth the time and effort for a slow dull ride, you can already buy pre-build SUP and surfboard motors for that slow cruise ride. I hope to have a simple complete efoil kit for this in the future.
Nice. I'll be on your list. and I agree 100% it has to be fast!
I think putting the shit together isn't incredibly complex, once the engine is built. I imagine the t-bar / mast already coming with an entry point for both wiring and engine attachment. Maybe consider collaborating with a kite / SUP company for that. I am willing to bet it will be a lot better to keep the battery in the board, but a lot easier to build it into the engine.

A.

DIY-eFoil
Rare Poster
Gear: Airush Lithium Kits, LF Board, Slingshot Fish Foil
Brand Affiliation: Creating DIY Electric Hydrofoil Kit
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby DIY-eFoil » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:06 pm

Sounds good Tautologies, Yes my focus is either Plug, bolt, ride. Or already built, unbox, charge and ride..

Yes, I'm already in talks with a couple different companies (foil and board) to work with :)

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:49 pm

DIY-eFoil wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:06 pm
Sounds good Tautologies, Yes my focus is either Plug, bolt, ride. Or already built, unbox, charge and ride..

Yes, I'm already in talks with a couple different companies (foil and board) to work with :)
What you're doing is magic! Will follow your project closely, can't wait for the finished kit!

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:04 pm

here is turnkey solution.
you just need to duct tape it to your fuselage. :-)
http://www.scubajet.com/
anyone has 1500EUR to bet on it and report?
From the spec and videos, it should be enough to propel a foil with bigger wings for 10-15minutes.. maybe more..
I'd just work with that startup to add a bit more juice to it (make it longer for extra battery and add fuselage adapter)
It might be a viable alternative to efoil for around 2K

DIY-eFoil
Rare Poster

Postby DIY-eFoil » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:48 pm

Ya, I reviewed that in detail as well a while back. I think it's just enough speed to feel like you can get up and foil, but Not... leaving you wanting a speed rush more than ever... LOL

Just keep in mind the throttle control... its slow, medium, fast, ZERO feathering of the control as your carve turns etc... super easy to fall back or fall forward when adjusting the throttle.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:53 pm

DIY-eFoil wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:48 pm
Ya, I reviewed that in detail as well a while back. I think it's just enough speed to feel like you can get up and foil, but Not... leaving you wanting a speed rush more than ever... LOL

Just keep in mind the throttle control... its slow, medium, fast, ZERO feathering of the control as your carve turns etc... super easy to fall back or fall forward when adjusting the throttle.
according to scubajet, the engine is good for up to 3.5KW, which should be more than enough, according to your own assessment.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/scub ... r-jet--2#/
with their external 1200WH battery pack, it should run for 30min at 2KW or about 20min at 3KW.

DIY-eFoil
Rare Poster

Postby DIY-eFoil » Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:14 pm

I was on their site and they show in a table if you run it at high speed its just 20 minutes, at low and its much longer life. If it would work awesome, just keep in mind wireless remotes are only good for 6-12" under water, so putting 3' deep could be an issue. The unit is fairly small, not much room for batteries. I love their concept, simple clean... If you could buy it and test it for us we would all be grateful :)

I'm sure we can all build one for the same price that will get your adrenaline flowing and have a real remote control :)

alkiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Jupiter
Style: Freestyle
Gear: Whatever works

Postby alkiter » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:00 am

deniska wrote:
Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:04 pm
here is turnkey solution.
you just need to duct tape it to your fuselage. :-)
http://www.scubajet.com/
anyone has 1500EUR to bet on it and report?
From the spec and videos, it should be enough to propel a foil with bigger wings for 10-15minutes.. maybe more..
I'd just work with that startup to add a bit more juice to it (make it longer for extra battery and add fuselage adapter)
It might be a viable alternative to efoil for around 2K
Funny you said that. I've thought the exact same thing. Have one on order, should be getting it end of Aug, early Sept. Will report on the results.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:51 am

If you look deeper for performance and efficiency in the powerboat world you can find some getting more efficient performance than the table on your blog, more like 2-4% slip in some light catamarans etc. maybe more on this in thehulltruth.com or go fast or scream and fly, although all these would be more about boats usually over 2000 lbs. and usually max speed more than 30 knots, a lot more sometimes.

for foilboards the rider weight will be a bigger factor, another comsideration....

DIY-eFoil
Rare Poster

Postby DIY-eFoil » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:44 pm

BWD wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:51 am
If you look deeper for performance and efficiency in the powerboat world you can find some getting more efficient performance than the table on your blog, more like 2-4% slip in some light catamarans etc. maybe more on this in thehulltruth.com or go fast or scream and fly, although all these would be more about boats usually over 2000 lbs. and usually max speed more than 30 knots, a lot more sometimes.

for foilboards the rider weight will be a bigger factor, another comsideration....
Yes for sure... I agree, I was just showing the general concept of slippage between boat hull types and how a hydrofoil boat/board would be very little once up on wings.
I was watching the Cat race last weekend, 11kt wind, those large centerman's were going 30-40kt in speed.. insane how efficient they are. I too my Hobbie Cat out last night, just cant get enough wind and water time... love it!

Return to “Kitesurfing”