Forum for kitesurfers
ichabod
Medium Poster
Gear: kite, strings, short wooden plank
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

North Quad Bar 2015 pulley recall?

Postby ichabod » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:39 pm

I guess this is a question for Dan at North really but someone else may be able to help too..

I recently found out about the recall for the metal block on the 2015 Quad bar - recalled as it caused excessive wear to the front line passing through it. I picked up the replacement ring and swapped it out but clearly too late.. Although the bar has only had a couple of months use and is otherwise in near perfect condition, the front line looks completely chewed up and ready to snap. It was lucky I took it apart and noticed this before it actually did snap. Several strands of the line have worn through and it is definitely unsafe to use.

Where do I stand on warranty with this? A new set of lines is going to be insanely expensive (thanks North!) and North have admitted that this is a design fault. Does this mean they will send out new lines? Or at least a single new front line?

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Re: North Quad Bar 2015 pulley recall?

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:04 am

PMing you to follow up on this but if anyone else is in a similar situation I'd recommend contacting your retailer. Most of these bars were modified before they left the warehouse, and the vast majority of those that did go out with the original block were sold years ago and have been fixed since so I don't anticipate many being in this boat, but if you are and you have any issues with/after contacting your retailer feel free to contact me as well.

-Dan

ichabod
Medium Poster

Postby ichabod » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:03 pm

Thanks Dan, PM sent back

ichabod
Medium Poster

Postby ichabod » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:57 am

I quick follow up question on the replacement ring as seen here:

https://www.northkiteboarding.com/blog/ ... SZ3l_RRrvg

Would it make more sense to convert it so that the other front line with black pigtail becomes the flag out line? This way the new metal ring runs over the braided black sheathing rather than rubbing directly against the red front kite line. As long as the ring is free to slide it should be better? Or am I missing something obvious?

Cheers

ichabod
Medium Poster

Postby ichabod » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:32 pm

Another follow up - North have agreed to send out a new front line so all good!

flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4

Postby flaps1111 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:02 pm

Can this wing fit the following description?:
Peter_Frank wrote:
I think I know what many would like:

The option to choose an extra really big and easy wing (area/lift) that can be used for learning and going easy, or waveriding hanging onto the wave at really low speed, or for learning jibes and tacks "easier" as you have more margin for error when it does not stall and fall down as easy, and finally they can be used for marginal winds too, riding in the utmost lowest possible winds and even carve without going down, much better :thumb:

And last but not least, it is a must for heavier riders

Twright180
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Camber sands
Gear: North Evo
North X ride
Been thanked: 0

Postby Twright180 » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:35 pm

Dan-at-Duotone wrote:
Tue Apr 11, 2017 12:04 am
PMing you to follow up on this but if anyone else is in a similar situation I'd recommend contacting your retailer. Most of these bars were modified before they left the warehouse, and the vast majority of those that did go out with the original block were sold years ago and have been fixed since so I don't anticipate many being in this boat, but if you are and you have any issues with/after contacting your retailer feel free to contact me as well.

-Dan
Hi dan, I am in a similar boat with the old pulley, will send you a PM thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”