Quikfin - tool free fin system

Forum for kitesurfers
POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Quikfin - tool free fin system

Postby POACHER » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:20 pm

Just thought I'd post a short review of the Quikfin system I bought a couple weeks ago. I saw this item pop up here on KF a few years ago but they were planning on going OEM with board manufacturers. After a few years of FB creeping, I found out they're selling individually. So I popped for a set.

Disclaimer: No affiliation, I paid the $49.00 retail for them. In my mind they are worth it. I liked the tool free system I had on my Nobile NHP, so these are a great option for other brands.

These things are pretty cool. They are a great accessory for travel or if you like to swap out fins/go finless. My intent was primarily for travel. Super easy on/off, in less than 30 seconds installed and I'm the first one out riding when we land somewhere on vacation. Yes......I'm competent at working a screwdriver, but why bother if you don't have to? BTW, TSA has nabbed a couple of my tools in the past, so no more freebies for them.

The system takes a few minutes to install initially. There aren't any tool slots for the pins so I just used a pliers with some leather on the teeth to adjust them. Once set, they are ready to use. Just snap on the retainer and lock it down. Super easy. The pins are M6 thread.

I did get to use them installed on my board last Sunday. They work just as well as the standard fin screws. No play, didn't work loose and the board carved perfectly.

The only heads up for other boards would be to check your hole spacing, diameter and ridges/molding in your board. I don't think these would work on some boards that don't have a flat deck for the retainer to lock onto. Some boards have funky ridges or creases in the deck near the fin holes that could create an issue.
quikfin.com
(I ordered through their Facebook page)
qf1.jpg
qf1.jpg (102.15 KiB) Viewed 2782 times
17523469_1410206702351639_5101497400378670895_n.jpg
small fin.jpg

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Quikfin - tool free fin system

Postby Bushflyr » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:46 pm

Interesting concept, but how many people actually swap out their TT fins on a regular basis? They aren't like surfboard fins. I've never even heard of anybody changing TT fins for different conditions.

It also doesn't make any sense for travel because, if you're going to pull your fins off, you need to take a screwdriver anyway to remount your bindings. Pretty silly to remove your fins but leave the straps on.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:02 pm

Nice pictures ;)

Wonder if there is added benefit in term of stability/performance (2 screws vs 1) compared to nobile system. On Nobile it s pretty tight already with 1 screw, also has added benefit of fin poping out of board without damaging board in case you catch a shallow sandbar.

Bushflyr wrote: Interesting concept, but how many people actually swap out their TT fins on a regular basis? They aren't like surfboard fins. I've never even heard of anybody changing TT fins for different conditions.

It also doesn't make any sense for travel because, if you're going to pull your fins off, you need to take a screwdriver anyway to remount your bindings. Pretty silly to remove your fins but leave the straps on.
Got used Nobile board with 2 sets of fins, one small one large. I was adviced to use larger fins ocean side or in light wind. I haven't been ocean side or in chop in a while, also I don't think I would bother switching them but I see why people like that system.

When I travel I don't remove the straps, I feel like they are less likely to get damaged while staying on the board, they have to be somewhere in the bag anyway... So I don't need a screwdriver when I travel.
Leaving fins on can break the board because of centered pressure around the fin. + grinding fins and a hole through the bag.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:34 pm

Yeah my NHP Carbon came with two sets of fins as well. I never used the small set as we next to never have butter conditions to ride in.......always heavy chop. So swapping fins for conditions wasn't the priority it's purely for ease of travel. I take 3-4 kite trips a year and dealing with the fins off/on and tools is a hassle that $49 just cured. (And I don't take my footstraps off. Why would you need to do that? The board is at the bottom of the golf bag and everything else just goes on top.)

Jerome is spot on - you don't take the fins off and your going to damage the board or punch through your bag.

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75kg
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:42 pm

Looks well thought out and engineered.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:27 am

Looks like a great idea

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:50 am

Hmm,

the question is, what is "the standard screws"?

Cab, Best, North are using different fin bolts, they are M6 but different threading.

I think I did backed up this project on the Net, it's good idea tho.

FredBGG
Very Frequent Poster

Postby FredBGG » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:35 pm

Looks like your adding 4 new snag points for your lines on your board.
Counter sunk screws are better, simpler and only require one simple little tool... a screw driver.

Jonpnw
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Pacific Northwest
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: Quikfin

Postby Jonpnw » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:59 pm

Poacher , Thank you for posting this review. I am biased because I am part of the team but the system works great. A nice feature for the frequent traveler is that the Quikfin pins stay threaded in your fins so your chances of dropping a fin screw in the sand are minimized.
IMG_7913.JPG

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:08 am

Bushflyr wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:46 pm
Interesting concept, but how many people actually swap out their TT fins on a regular basis? They aren't like surfboard fins. I've never even heard of anybody changing TT fins for different conditions.

I'd definitely buy a set of these if I lived somewhere with a slider park again. Hitting sliders you can't have fins, but if I was riding outside it (boost session or whatever) you want fins. Swapping back and forth all season got annoying pretty quick :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”