Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Naish Pivot 14m vs Cabrinha Contra 13m

Postby Bartolo » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:43 pm

Hi All,

I have a set of Pivots 6/8/10m and I am considering adding a lightwind kite for my quiver (below 17 knots as low as possible).

It would be logical to choose a Pivot 14m but I have a feeling it's not really a lightwind kite, more suitabe for a heavier rider.

Therefore i am also considering the Contra 13m.

Most important for me is to be able to ride my regular TT (Cab. Tronic) with lighter wind. To be ok on my TT I have to be able to do some jumping for back- and frontrolls and tranistions. Maybe even learn some new tricks. So not just cruising around.

For the surfboard it is offcourse needed that the kite turns and drifts reasonably good.

Who is using the Pivot 14m and with what weigth do you get what lowend? What are your experiences with this size?

What do people think of the Contra 13m for someone 80kgs as opposed to an 15 or 17m? My guess is I give up a 1 or 2 knots lowend but win faster steering..

Thanks!
Last edited by Bartolo on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CorradoWest
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: X
Gear: Naish/North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Naish Pivot 14m vs Cabrinha Contra 13m

Postby CorradoWest » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:18 am

I'm going to bump this back back up as I am interested forum input as well.

I rode a friends 12M Pivot and was impressed, and I am considering the 12M Pivot to replace my older 11M Switchblade. I am also considering a 13M Contra as my lighter wind kite. From what other members have mentioned, I do not want a 14M Pivot as my lighter wind kite as the 14M is more of a "big guy's" 12M Pivot. I went through this when I bought a used 16M Cabrinha, and ended up selling it a month later.

Not to derail the OP's 14M Pivot vs Contra 13M, but curious as to the 12M Pivot vs the Contra 13M. In a perfect world I would have $$ for both, but as it stands I can only get one kite at a time. FYI I am about 72 kg. and I am looking for more days on the water. Contra first? Maybe this could help the OP as well.

Thanks!

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:39 am

The two kite are not really in the same category.

Contra is a low wind kite and the Pivot is a free ride/surf kite. They are both good choices but since you already have 3 pivots, I think the answer is obvious........

Get an Ozone Zephyr! Easily the best light wind kite out there. Period.

But if that is not an option for you, stick with what you know and get the Pivot. Same control system and a very familiar feel when flying the kite.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:20 am

I just got a 14 pivot. Basically from a friend recommending it so highly. I have yet to take it out, and I certainly cannot compare it to the cab kite...but personally, I just want a powerful and relatively fast turning kite. I think I'll be super happy with the 14 pivot.

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:56 pm

I have a 2017 Contra 15m as my lightwind kite. Im 80kgs. The 15 is the fastest turning large kite i have ridden. Much faster than the 13m xbow it replaced. its too powerful for my foil in the lightest of conditions and i only use it with the tt or freerace board. Decent jumper to.

Bartolo
Medium Poster

Postby Bartolo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:38 pm

rogue_kiteboarder wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:39 am

But if that is not an option for you, stick with what you know and get the Pivot. Same control system and a very familiar feel when flying the kite.
That's some interesting advice from someone who apparently owns 6 , 7 different kitetypes ;-)
But it makes sense anyway, although i use a Cabrinha bar already for the pivots as well.
Last edited by Bartolo on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bartolo
Medium Poster

Postby Bartolo » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:43 pm

tautologies wrote:
Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:20 am
I just got a 14 pivot. Basically from a friend recommending it so highly. I have yet to take it out, and I certainly cannot compare it to the cab kite...but personally, I just want a powerful and relatively fast turning kite. I think I'll be super happy with the 14 pivot.
Please keep me up to date when you have used it

BCKiter123
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Squamish, Vancouver BC
Style: Freeride, newbie foiler
Gear: North, Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Postby BCKiter123 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:49 pm

I've got 2016 Contra 13m, and I'm about 82kg without gear, minimal experience with other kites, and I'm intermediate level. Awesome kite, nimble fast turning, amazing float when I get the jump right. Fun kite for jumps, jump transitions (including jump loop transitions), downloop transitions etc (I seem to be looping it all the time cuz it's just so much fun!). I ride TT 140/43 Naish Hero and feel the optimal wind range is 14-20kn to stay comfortably upwind (maybe 13kn on the low end, and I'm feeling VERY powered when i get into the high teens, but still doable with trimming), sweet spot likely 16kn.

LTD WaterSports
Medium Poster
Local Beach: DESTIN, Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: Anguilla, OBX, Destin
Style: Freestyle
Gear: BEST, AirRush, F-ONE, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: LTD WaterSports
Been thanked: 0

Postby LTD WaterSports » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:07 pm

We just started with the Naish Pivot this year. WOW! this kite has impressed everyone here in the shop. Its got one of the best light wind pulls, fast but not crazy, the bar is much improved! I have used it for lesson, personal ridding, Foiling, Waves and big air sessions.

Cant say enough great things about the kite!

Bartolo
Medium Poster

Postby Bartolo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:37 pm

LTD WaterSports wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:07 pm
We just started with the Naish Pivot this year. WOW! this kite has impressed everyone here in the shop. Its got one of the best light wind pulls, fast but not crazy, the bar is much improved! I have used it for lesson, personal ridding, Foiling, Waves and big air sessions.

Cant say enough great things about the kite!
I agree it's a great kite. But did you also use the 14m? If so , what can you say about its lowend?

Return to “Kitesurfing”