Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Drag launch tips, line tangle

Postby jeromeL » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:58 am

dylan* wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 1:06 am
I haven't considered rigging up upwind. That might just keep the lines clear until the kite is flipped all the way around. I'll give that a try, thanks.

And yeah the lines are always totally fine, I make sure bridles are laid out nicely, they get snagged as I'm pulling it around 90 degrees.
Don't pull 90 degree, pull from downwind position walkback away from kite, kite sill still rotate then you can walk upwind and back.

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:24 am

I've tried rigging upwind & downwind (prefer upwind) & still get the occasional line wrap. I think it's just a slack line wrapping right on when my kite is rotating to launch. I used to laugh at those bungey,s on the North kites but now think their a good idea.
It only happens when I least expect it, I'm thinking if i keep the offending line tight as kite is getting into launch position this should sort it.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:40 pm

topmick wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:24 am
I'I'm thinking if i keep the offending line tight as kite is getting into launch position this should sort it.
Yup, slack lines are always a potential problem anywhere. Rigging upwind or downwind is much less of an issue than getting the last 2 meters just before launching right.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:42 pm

That's what I thought, I keep my lines tight though. I rig up directly downwind, rotate the kite into the wind a bit and walk maybe 45 degrees and get lines tight (no tangles), then keeping lines tight continue walking upwind rotating the kite around. As you get to 90 degrees to the wind the kite starts to roll over into launch position and as it does, that's when it tangles.

I was thinking maybe the front line just happens to be exactly the right length that when it's tensioned and on the ground, it can wrap around the rear line or wingtip (not sure exactly where it tangles). Maybe rigging upwind of the kite and keeping the lines under it until you pull the kite into position directly upwind will keep them free...

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:00 pm

Where is the bar when you are doing this? Seems to work best for me when there is no tension on the bar. Half the time I don't touch it at all until the kite has stood up so the lines seem to take care of spreading the correct tension themselves if you are at the right angle. Sheeting the bar in seems to make it worse, sometimes the kite seems to do better when I don't over control it.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:05 pm

hooked in, just holding on to the bar. I don't think I'm sheeted in but I haven't paid attention to it. I'll make sure I'm sheeted out next time

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9

Postby salvino » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:45 pm

Rig lines behind kite. Then there's zero blind spot. Lines go directly from bar to kite attachment in straight line. No hidden moment of lines underneath kite and maybe bridle.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:43 pm

dylan* wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:42 pm
Maybe rigging upwind of the kite and keeping the lines under it until you pull the kite into position directly upwind will keep them free...
Dylan, I think that might be the best approach. I have had the same problem (LF kites), and I think the wrap occurs when the kite has been raised onto its tip but hasn't launched.....if it slides downwind slightly on its tip before leaving the beach, a wrap can occur. If you keep the bottom tip's lines tucked slightly under the LE, there should be less chance of a wrap.

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:45 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:43 pm
dylan* wrote:
Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:42 pm
Maybe rigging upwind of the kite and keeping the lines under it until you pull the kite into position directly upwind will keep them free...
Dylan, I think that might be the best approach. I have had the same problem (LF kites), and I think the wrap occurs when the kite has been raised onto its tip but hasn't launched.....if it slides downwind slightly on its tip before leaving the beach, a wrap can occur. If you keep the bottom tip's lines tucked slightly under the LE, there should be less chance of a wrap.
Or identify & grab the slack line & keep it tight until lift off.
Also something else to look out for, the front & steering lines can get caught up on the bridle connection knots.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:30 pm

Have you tried reverse launching? Some kites like it some don't. The bonus is that the lines are tight and they don't drag so there is no danger of snagging lines. Just get ready for a hotter launch.

Return to “Kitesurfing”