Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Safety Alert: Cabrinha 2017 Power Bracket Seat Replacement

Postby Toby » Thu May 18, 2017 12:27 am

Cabrinha News:

Cabrinha 2017 Power Bracket Seat Replacement

PB Recall Poster.jpg

Dear Valued Customer,

The Cabrinha brand has always placed our product quality and the safety of our customers upfront in all our product development efforts.

We have recently identified a design defect in a component of the 2017 Power Bracket Seat. The control systems affected by this issue are:

Model Name: Overdrive 1X Recoil (Fireball or Quickloop versions), Overdrive 1X TrimLite (Fireball or Quickloop versions), 1X TrimLite (Fireball or Quickloop versions) and Chaos 1X TrimLite control systems.

Product Codes: KS7CSCHFX000STD, KS7CSFXFC000044, KS7CSFXFC000052, KS7CSFXFC000060, KS7CSFXQC000052, KS7CSFXQC000044, KS7CSFXQC000060, KS7CSODFC000STD, KS7CSODFR000STD, KS7CSODQC000STD, KS7CSODQR000STD

cab 1.jpg
cab 1.jpg (49.59 KiB) Viewed 4442 times
cab 2.jpg
cab 2.jpg (15.73 KiB) Viewed 4442 times

The component in topic is the stainless steel POWER BRACKET SEAT (PBS) and the lower front line that connects with the landing line. The point of connection between the lower front line and the landing line can break causing a loss of kite control posing a risk of injury.

In the event of a broken line at this connection point, the 1X security systems will be rendered invalid. Activating the main quick release also known as QR1 under these circumstances will release the kite completely from the rider.

There is a limited number of 2017 control systems affected by this issue which can be identified by the description below. We have decided to issue a product recall to ensure the safety and confidence of our customers. We will ask that all end user customers with an affected control system, bring their control systems to the point of purchase to have a free replacement part installed which will immediately remedy the issue. The part was designed from the outset to be serviceable: the replacement is simple to install and will only take a few minutes.

Identifying A Control System Which Is Subject To This Recall
We have changed the defective parts in all manufactured control systems as of March 13, 2017. You can distinguish the modified and corrected control systems by a GREEN DOT on the packaging hangtag of the control system.

Any 2017 control system without a green dot on the hang tag will need the replacement Power Bracket Seat Kit installed.

Further, the corrected Power Bracket Seat can be identified by its plastic material and light gray color. (the defective Power bracket Seat was made with stainless steel).

In the effort to provide our customers with the highest level of safety and product service, we kindly ask that you bring any affected control system (as identified above) to your Cabrinha dealer for a free authorized replacement kit. The replacement process takes approximately 4 minutes.

We kindly thank you in advance for your required assistance to ensure that 100% of all control systems receive the replacement Power Bracket Seat. We appreciate your help in this matter and we are sure that you share in our commitment to providing the highest level of security and safety for our customers.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your support in helping us to deliver on our promise of quality and customer care.

This product recall is being conducted in cooperation with the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. More information can be found at www.cabrinhakites.com, www.cpsc.gov. or by emailing info@cabrinhakites.com or calling +1 808 8930286

PROCESS OF REPLACEMENT/INSTALLMENT:

We have taken steps to make the process as easy as possible:

1. Identify whether your 2017 control system is affected by this recall. All products made after March 13, 2017 have the proper modifications made, you can distinguish this by a GREEN DOT on the packaging hangtag of the control system and/or a light gray plastic Power Bracket Seat installed on the control system.
2. Bring your control system back to your authorized Cabrinha dealer to receive a free Power Bracket Seat Kit which is supplied by Cabrinha. Alternatively you can contact Cabrinha through the contact points listed above to inquire how to receive a free Power Bracket Seat replacement kit.
3. A video of the Power Bracket Seat Kit installation instructions can be found below.
4. Download Power Bracket Seat installation instructions HERE.
5. Please return your metal PBS to your dealer once you have reworked your Control System.
We kindly ask that you take action on the above points immediately as it is a requirement of the CPSC protocol.

Any questions, please let us know. Once again, please accept our sincerest apologies for ANY inconvenience this may have caused.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZasOj9v6Yw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZasOj9v6Yw

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Safety Alert: Cabrinha 2017 Power Bracket Seat Replacement

Postby lovethepirk » Thu May 18, 2017 1:13 am

Man, this looks challenging for a beginner. Is this an abrasion over time issue like the switch swivel issue, or a kink that could occur during line slack and reload? Was the red plastic ball not sufficient? It looks like they replicated the stainless steel piece into another plastic piece. Kudos for them getting in front of the issue and for Toby on top of his shit too.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu May 18, 2017 11:18 am

Is there a high rez picture of the parts that we can actually see as something other than a grey blur? :-/

dejavu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Any that have steady wind
Favorite Beaches: Any
Style: Freeride with the conditions on the day
Gear: Cabrinha, Flysurfer, NP, Rip Curl, WFMG, Aquapak, Loksac, Gopro, Suunto, apple watch.

Postby dejavu » Thu May 18, 2017 11:46 am

I have two of the effected bars and with a quick visit to the Cabrinha dealer I picked up the replacement parts and after following the Tech video both were done in half an hour. All modern day products have the potential for things to go wrong as products change so quickly and testing may not identify an issue straight away. I like the way Cabrinha have tech tips, keeping the sport safe. Well done.

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019

Postby skideeppow » Thu May 18, 2017 4:17 pm

So, i was in Necker Island in January. and had this failure. I flagged the kite by pulling on a strearing line.

So i sent the bar back when i got home, and paid around 100 to have it fixed. I wonder if they will cover that cost?

Now i have two bars with this issue, and heading to maui on Saturday. Hopefully Adventure Sports will have these replacements.

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019

Postby skideeppow » Thu May 18, 2017 6:01 pm

Called Big Winds, refunded my the cost. Love doing business with those guys.
So last summer i was kiting and guy had this bar and had a major malfunction with the bar. he had no idea how the line snapped. He was foiling.
He lost his board and found it two days later, destroyed.

I guess this was a result of this recall. He is trying to get Cabrinha to cover the cost of the board.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Thu May 18, 2017 7:24 pm

Are Cab bars overly problematic or do other companies just not do recalls/safety bulletins?

This is a serious question, and I'm not trying to start a flame war with Cab. I just really would like to know?
I've had a couple Cab bars in the past. 2014 was total trash and the 2015 was fine, but did have a recall within the first 2 weeks of me getting it. No biggie, small part replaced in 10 min. all good.

So I can't imagine other kite bar manufacturers get their bars right 100% of the time. I would just genuinely like to know if any bar I own is going to maim myself or others....?

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Thu May 18, 2017 7:48 pm

POACHER wrote:
Thu May 18, 2017 7:24 pm
Are Cab bars overly problematic or do other companies just not do recalls/safety bulletins?

This is a serious question, and I'm not trying to start a flame war with Cab. I just really would like to know?
I've had a couple Cab bars in the past. 2014 was total trash and the 2015 was fine, but did have a recall within the first 2 weeks of me getting it. No biggie, small part replaced in 10 min. all good.

So I can't imagine other kite bar manufacturers get their bars right 100% of the time. I would just genuinely like to know if any bar I own is going to maim myself or others....?
They are generally problematic. That's what you get if you refuse to stick to proven systems, and try to reinvent the wheel every other season just to be different. Almost every year they have a recall, and sometimes a 'tech tip' (which means; we know there's a problem, but we don't care enough to issue a recall because there aren't enough complaints)

Allready seeing complaints about the Fireball here and there... so maybe there'll be a recall at the end of the year :roll:

But at least it's a good thing they are finally taking their responsibility with this issue. So kudos :thumb:

ichabod
Medium Poster
Gear: kite, strings, short wooden plank

Postby ichabod » Fri May 19, 2017 1:39 pm

Nope, North had a similar recall in 2015

danidr
Medium Poster
Style: Twintip
Gear: Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Postby danidr » Fri May 19, 2017 3:01 pm

That point of connection was problematic in the 2016 bar already, but no recall issue. The metal stopper being replaced in this video is where the junction gets blocked from passing through the hole. The junction is squished into a ball (because all the pressure of that flying line is held in that point). In the 2016 bars (and on 2017 bars I've seen at the beach), the wear comes from that junction passing through the entrance of the PU tubing when releasing, which is not wide enough. Release the kite with the safety a few times and that junction point starts wearing. If it breaks and you flagged, the line goes right through the metal piece and bye bye kite. The reason it wears is because the junction between both lines forms a sort of squished ball inside that plastic/metal part, which gets wider than the PU tubing entrance.

It's funny, I sent photos of this issue to Cabrinha and they told me it's a non issue and probably sand and insinuated it's user error and left me on my own. My dealer did understand what I was telling them and had in fact seen the issue before and sent me replacement parts for free. More funny is that a normal user like me, not an engineer or super advanced kiter was able to spot this issue when they launched the 2016 bar.

It's a pitty, the trimlite bar basically only needs this weak design point to have fixed before being a top choice.

Return to “Kitesurfing”