Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Liquid Force Fish w/Foil Fish
Dakine Pyro Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Dakine C1 break-in?

Postby KitingPolak » Thu May 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Been needing a new harness for a while to replace my aging Dakine Pyro. The Pyro was never super comfortable but I was able to kite a full day without much issue minus the lower back pain afterward. Tried an Ocean Rodeo hybrid late last year and it hurt everywhere. Bruised me in areas i didn't know could be bruised.

I picked up a small 2017 C1 a couple days ago (my waist size is 30-31”) and it felt like the fit was fine in the store. Had my first session with it yesterday and it was digging into the bottom of my ribs so much that I had to take multiple breaks due to the pain, and that was with a wetsuit on.

My question is, can I reasonably expect this harness to feel more comfortable in that regard after more use or am I better off trying to exchange it now while it's still spotless? Looking for feedback from C1 owners.

ralu81
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sherman island, Roosevelt park- gorge, Moriah Harbor-Great Exuma Bahamas, Little Sable Point Lake Michigan, Oscoda Lake Huron, Long Beach IN Lake Michigan, Escanaba, HWY 2 U.P. Michigan, Lake St. Clair, Harsen's Island, Tawas.
Gear: Slingshot RPM
Slingshot Rally
Duotone Evo
Liquid Force DLX
Slingshot Celeritas

Re: Dakine C1 break-in?

Postby ralu81 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:35 pm

I have a 2017 C1 small and have the same waist as you. The first time I wore it I felt like I bruised my ribs in the same place as you and also felt like I had been punched in the kidneys. I've worn it 5-6 times now and no longer feel pain in either area. It starts feeling better after you wear it a few times. I hated it after the first time I wore it and considered trading it in but glad I didn't. It doesn't ride up and feels great to jump with.

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Thu May 18, 2017 9:38 pm

Leave it in the car, on a hot day, and let it get very warm. Be sure that nothing is pressing on it when you do this. Once the harness is warm,, hot, very warm, put it on and wear it until it cools off. This will speed the 'molding" process and give you a more comfortable fit sooner.

NEkitesurfing
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby NEkitesurfing » Thu May 18, 2017 9:56 pm

:rollgrin:
That sounds funny! Is this a new sport to torture his own body instead with piercings with bad fitting harnesses?

Try a Ride Engine and when it feels good for the first time it will feel perfect forever with or without a wetsuit and it will cause no bruises and abrasions at all.

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Thu May 18, 2017 10:33 pm

Ummm.............that's actually how a lot of memory foam works. It requires heat or continued use to form. (think ski boots)

But yeah, I have no dog in this fight. I had a Ride Engine that lasted a week in the Turks before it needed to be sent back on warranty. It was comfy....but fit is subjective.

KitingPolak
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot KeyHD 2010 10
RRD Obsession 2010 13.5
Boardriding Maui Cloud 1st Gen 17
Pansh Aurora 2015 19
Liquid Force Solo v2 2016 6.5
RRD Obsession Mk9 2017 12
Eleveight RS V1 2018 14
Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Liquid Force Fish w/Foil Fish
Dakine Pyro Harness

Postby KitingPolak » Fri May 19, 2017 12:24 am

I've received really good after-sales support from Dakine in the past and the Pyro was a pretty good harness overall, aside that my lower back would hurt after a day of kiteboarding. No lower back pain with the C1 but my kidneys and ribs are sore. Ideally it would be great if I could try a bunch of different harness before plopping down the cash, but unfortunately the reality is that there are limited options at the local store and shipping harnesses back and forth is both expensive and cumbersome - since many places do not want to take back used items, and you do not know if if truly fits until you actually use it.

Thanks all for the feedback, I'm going to give it a couple more sessions. I let the shop owner know and that's what he told me to do also so I hope there will not be any issues if I do end up needing to return it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”