Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How does your bar handle center line Twists?

Forum for kitesurfers
ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Re: How does your bar handle center line Twists?

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Sat May 20, 2017 11:28 pm

POACHER wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 3:11 pm
Alright Whale Shaver, I know you are sitting on a bunch of these Mutiny swivels........so out with it.

Name your price. :cash:
Sorry Poacher - no I only have 3 on my short, medium and long bars. I dont know if anyone sells them still...
After they fail in another 3-4 years - Ill be back on the tools, manual labour style :)

How ive maintain my swivels. (I cant afford to go out and by new gear every year)
Rinse bar after use then once a month or as needed, soak it in a cup of hot (not boiling) water for a minute then twist, any crystallized salt gets melted and the fine granuals of sand will appear in the cup.

Blow on it to get initial water out, let it dry - then spray with good old WD40.

I have tried various lube sprays but they ended up holding on to sand or the dried coating actually stops it from free apinning.

There are 3 major design faults with the big and small brands why they stop untwisting...

1. The wrong bearing type, they put a bicycle type bearing without regard to the side thrust created from lift.

2. The plastic housing that surrounds the bearing is too thin between the upper and lower - creating flex and warping or stretch under big loads say like high powered jumps or when the kite lines go slack - then 100% full power and you get yanked..

3.The kite companies dont give a f*** and keep taking your money laughing all the way to the bank - OBVIOUSLY.

Nukin
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Nukin » Sun May 21, 2017 2:46 am

Core Sensor 2 Carbon Bar
Light, Strong, no twists, not cheap (but probably less than the North bar...)

Problem solved

http://corekites.com/us/bars/sensor-2s-pro

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Almost air tacking on hydrofoil...
Gear: Delta Race Hydrofoil, 15m SS Turbine, 12m Switchblade, 9m Switchblade
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby lovethepirk » Sun May 21, 2017 4:01 am

I lucked into a liquid force 2013 bar with its swivel from buying an NRG from Dracop....IT WORKS...I spent 2 months looking for another one and found one. Now I have two bars with LF swivels that work 95% of the time. When I notice it not working, I spray it with silicon lubricant and it is good for a month or two. I'm a MASSIVE fan of that swivel and every company should look at that design and copy it.

I previously had the switch swivel and after every rotation I would have to unwind the centerlines as I tacked out. I had a guy take my bar out recently and when he came back in he was freaking out about the center lines not getting crossed, he thought it was black magic, lol.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Sun May 21, 2017 6:25 am

Nukin wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 2:46 am
Core Sensor 2 Carbon Bar
Light, Strong, no twists, not cheap (but probably less than the North bar...)

Problem solved

http://corekites.com/us/bars/sensor-2s-pro
+1 !

I have two bars, really good. With plastic coated depower lines bar hole does not wear these out and it's super smooth! Search is over.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Mon May 22, 2017 4:02 pm

downunder wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 3:03 am
NorCalNomad wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 4:51 pm
downunder wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 4:55 am
^
What he says.

Swivel problems? Nah....

Spinning a bearing with no load = jack shit
Buy yourself an swivel which doesn't spin than.

Post the results here after...And your diminishing comments are noted.
Oh no...is this going on my permanent record?

No load "bearing tests" tell you nothing. It's the same as asking how fast something can go in a frictionless environment, it will never happen, throws out variables that are important, and tells you nothing about actual use. http://youtu.be/uD7Lzv5fWhs?t=2m46s
Last edited by NorCalNomad on Wed May 24, 2017 6:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lovethepirk » Tue May 23, 2017 1:43 am

NorCalNomad wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 4:02 pm

No load "bearing tests" tell you nothing. It's the same as asking how fast something can go in a frictionless environment, it will never happen, throws out variables that are important, and tells you nothing about actual use.
Nor,

I agree with you 100% and what you are saying is one of the exact reasons the switch metal swivel does not work and the liquid force or that swivel in that video does. The slop in the switch swivel prevents it from working as the slop in the design creates enough friction to deny it from working. Anyone with a switch swivel can put the kite to 12 and slap the shit out of the center lines and it will most likely unwind, but when tacking it won't.

I may take some gopro this week, if I do, I'll post a video of the swivel working 100% of the time. I'm surprised there isn't more praise for the LF swivel. I freaking love it. No more bar spin and then manual center line spin or riding with center lines until you do an opposite rotation.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Tue May 23, 2017 2:56 am

NorCalNomad wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 4:02 pm
downunder wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 3:03 am
NorCalNomad wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 4:51 pm

Spinning a bearing with no load = jack shit
Buy yourself an swivel which doesn't spin than.

Post the results here after...And your diminishing comments are noted.
Oh no...is this going on my permanent record?

No load "bearing tests" tell you nothing. It's the same as asking how fast something can go in a frictionless environment, it will never happen, throws out variables that are important, and tells you nothing about actual use.

Yes, why not. If you are diminishing my comments don't expect that I will not do the same. Or, you can learn to be a bit more polite since the is a German site, not a place where Yanks can piss on everyone and anyone. Gesundheit.

Read again and again what lovethepirk posted. So hard to swallow, is't it?

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Tue May 23, 2017 4:08 am

lovethepirk wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:43 am
...I may take some gopro this week, if I do, I'll post a video of the swivel working 100% of the time. I'm surprised there isn't more praise for the LF swivel. I freaking love it. No more bar spin and then manual center line spin or riding with center lines until you do an opposite rotation.
Which LF bar/year are you talking about?

I went to their website, they have the Mission Control System bar which has a below the bar manual swivel.
They have the Response Control System bar which has the above the bar (out of reach) top swivel.

lovethepirk
Very Frequent Poster

Postby lovethepirk » Tue May 23, 2017 4:52 am

CaptainArgh wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 4:08 am
Which LF bar/year are you talking about?

I went to their website, they have the Mission Control System bar which has a below the bar manual swivel.
They have the Response Control System bar which has the above the bar (out of reach) top swivel.
The first swivel I got is from a 2013 bar, then next swivel I believe is from 2014 b/c it is slightly different but works the same so I think it is the 2014 version. Both work 95% of the time...the ONLY time they don't work is after 2 months of not spraying the swivel...even then if would work 80% of the time. I started with the switch swivels which are a joke and work 15% of the time at best.

Return to “Kitesurfing”