Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

surfboard ding repair

Forum for kitesurfers
Bill
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

surfboard ding repair

Postby Bill » Sat May 20, 2017 5:10 pm

Made a small hole in my surfboard. Its an old airush converse but in great condition, apart from the hole! Was gonna just repair it with some epoxy resin, but I know the repair will turn a horrible yellow colour. My board us white. Is there any way to make the epoxy white and not discolour?

Thanks

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Re: surfboard ding repair

Postby JakeFarley » Sat May 20, 2017 5:19 pm

Bill wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 5:10 pm
Made a small hole in my surfboard. Its an old airush converse but in great condition, apart from the hole! Was gonna just repair it with some epoxy resin, but I know the repair will turn a horrible yellow colour. My board us white. Is there any way to make the epoxy white and not discolour?

Thanks
You could buy some marine tex at a West Marine store, or buy some white pigment to mix in the epoxy. Or buy some white appliance epoxy spray paint at Home Depot. I've used it on alll the boards I make and it holds up well. The problem is matching the color as some boards are off white.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat May 20, 2017 5:31 pm

SolarRez is clear and stays clear for as long as I have had it in the sun. It actually cures with sun light.

But I think you are thinking of it the wrong way. If you put epoxy in the hole and the epoxy yellows, you can always grind it out and re-fill it when you sell it. Dremels with metal wood carving, or carbide tile grinders will do a great job on small dings if the area is small. Or you can get a cut out saw from Harbor freight and use it like a die grinder with a $30 Christmas tree bit.

But I have to second the white MarineTex as your first choice.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Sat May 20, 2017 6:52 pm

Aquamend... I never leave home without it!
http://www.polymericsystems.com/epoxies ... uamend.htm
Apply, let dry, sand, and paint to match.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards

Postby jespin4845 » Sat May 20, 2017 6:58 pm

I've been using jb weld waterweld to fill in holes the past year, it works great!!!

Just cut off a piece smush it up and mix it and apply, hardens in like two hours and is usable

After about a day I sand it, apply a piece of fiberglass over if u really want on the deck or it's a rail it really doesn't matter

Similar to the aquamend above

Return to “Kitesurfing”