Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone Chrono: Standard or Ultralight?? (13m)

Forum for kitesurfers
Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Re: Ozone Chrono: Standard or Ultralight?? (13m)

Postby Mossy 757 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:43 pm

Get the ultralight. If it's your light wind kite and you're planning to use it at or below 10 knots, it'll never be windy enough to really screw it up, your launches and landings should be really gentle and light. When it's very light, I can land my 15m on the trailing edge in the hot launch position, secure the rear lines to a landing stake or just keep them under tension in my hand, then just walk up to the thing and grab it by myself...so long as your beach is sandy and wide, it shouldn't be a problem.

I, too, wondered about the self-rescue/swim home thing with the ultralight fabric but I've seen guys keep those kites flying in RIDICULOUSLY light winds when even other foils were struggling to fly, so I think the light cloth really does pay off in keep the kite in the air. No accounting for screwed up tricks or tacks or whatever, you can still drop it that way, but I think the risk is worth the reward in terms of adding to the kite's lowend.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Regis-de-giens » Mon May 22, 2017 10:26 pm

The light cloth has another positive impact on top of staying in the air (and avoid swimming back to shore) : it is easier and more efficient to work the kite in the lulls and to foil up : indeed you need to sheet-out the bar less with a light kite when the kite is in its upward travel, so this lead to a more regular traction during the sinusoids.

Regarding the size, as I have the same weight as you :
I own two ultra-utra light foils : 12m and 15 m, even lighter than chrono UL ; so as you suspected, the wind range in more narrow on the 15, clearly : say 4-5 knots to 10 knots while the 12m is 5-6 knots to 16 knots (in my wind scale corresponding to actual wind measured in altitude). You just gain 1 knot or less, but you get more power and speed between 5 and 7, while you loose a lot of all-round ability and agility compared to the 12m! I am happy to have both 15 and 12 but should I select one only , I would save the 12m (so 13m for you if you stick to Chrono v2).

Last remark for our weight in hyper light wind : my 15m has a slighlty higher AR than the 12m, leading to a bit less auto-stability at the zenith. This is in fact my limiting low end factor , since I mostly ride in on-shore wind and need to swimm away from the shore. This is also why in practice and real life , I gain almost no low end with the 15m if I start from beach. Knowing that the chrono v2 15m will have even a slighlty higher AR than mine, you will certainly get the same problem or worse around 4-5 knots in you ride off-shore winds and have to swimm away with both hands. Which would go more in favor of the 13m again...

marekmk
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: africa, new zealand, madagascar, LA, brazil prea, ect
Style: twin tip, strapless surf board, foil
Gear: this year (15) teaching & riding on f-one, Ozone, North Kites
Ocean Rodeo Duke board, Nugget board, Bomb and more
Kentos foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby marekmk » Tue May 23, 2017 7:26 am

UL hand down for super light winds, its amazing.................

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Tue May 23, 2017 7:41 am

Thanks for the advice...which I have ignored! All makes sense but since it's mostly about keeping the kite flying in winds that are too light to kitesurf in anyway I'm not sure how relevant it is for me. PKS selling the standard very cheap at the moment, along with a 10% discount code which is still working, which makes the UL over £700 more expensive, not to mention a 2 month wait for it to be made. Standard it is. Given how easily it flew in less than 10 knots, and how efficient it was even with wind going in same direction as tide / current I doubt I will be disappointed.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Tue May 23, 2017 8:04 am

I've had both Chrono V2 versions currently use the Chrono V2 15M Ultralight in stupid light winds. The main advantage of the UL is the relaunch. I have not tried or owned any kite tube or foil that relaunches better in marginal winds. For me this is huge advantage since I often ride in the ocean alone. if relaunch is not important I think the wind range is not that much different except offcourse the UL will hang in the air better in lulls.

flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4

Postby flaps1111 » Tue May 23, 2017 11:19 am

I have a doubt, I'm sure that sailing in straight line in ultra light wind is possible with a 12 or 15m foilkite but it is the same in transitions? Because is there where you need more stability or you need to hang on the kite, at least is what I do in my surface gibes.

martino86
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Allround
Gear: Ozone Enduro, Lieuwe Shotgun, Firewire Evo
Been thanked: 0

Postby martino86 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi guys, I could get a Chrono V2 Ultralight 15 at a really good price. Do you think it is too big at 140lbs for overall TT riding in 3bft?

I already own Enduros in 7/9/12

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:02 pm

I've got the 13 (standard) and weigh 140 lbs ish. Gets me going on tt from 8 knots approx. 15m would be too big I think.

martino86
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Allround
Gear: Ozone Enduro, Lieuwe Shotgun, Firewire Evo
Been thanked: 0

Postby martino86 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:45 pm

A 13 might be better then. What's your highend on the 13?

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:00 pm

I haven't really found it yet - have used from about 8knots to maybe 13 knots without trimming it at all - I would guess probably could just about hold it down up to maybe 18 knots? By then though I'd probably be on the LEI.

Return to “Kitesurfing”