Unhooked self-launch for safety

Forum for kitesurfers
PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: Unhooked self-launch for safety

Postby PullStrings » Tue May 23, 2017 9:52 pm

The only true safe unhooked self launch /or assisted would have to be with both hands on the bar with the chicken loop leashed and butted against bar

To do so it would require the front lines to be attached to a trimmer that allows a full shortening trim of 22- 24 inches....(back lines slack enough that you are still able to steer kite a bit)

Does anyone know how much trim racers with foilboards can apply to their front lines ?

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby knotwindy » Tue May 23, 2017 10:38 pm

Seems to me the only way an unhooked launch is safer is if you honestly believe that that the kite can fly better without your hands on the bar and no rider input than with your hands on the bar controlling it. If you really believe that, you are SO not ready to launch a kite. Why screw around with a hand on the chicken loop trying to maintain proper power with both hands busy trying to work with/against each other rather than a hand on the QR and just one hand to pay attention to to maintain power and steer?
I have done both and hooked in/hand on QR is so much easier and safer for me.
Thanks for the discussion, To each his own.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu May 25, 2017 1:02 pm

andylc wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 3:14 pm
The second version is just a completely normal launch. I would assume it's fairly normal to hook in just before launch, and attach the leash first. I still don't get the first one, where your kite appears to take off from leading edge down without any input at all. Perhaps you have a particular kite with supernatural properties but my C kites would definitely not do this!
Watching the original video again, he doesn't walk downwind as the kite starts to flip up.

Watch at about 52 seconds in this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5XvVmf1pas

He's using a C4 to demonstrate this which is fairly c-shaped - albeit with a bridle. You could do all the preparation unhooked to self launch in the same way as per that video I guess.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Thu May 25, 2017 1:40 pm

People should maybe try some of these ideas out before they comment. Unhooked must have too many people thinking they have both hands on the bar, sacrificing control of the kites angle of attack. Nothing is further from the truth. If a gust hits, you let go or the bar but keep the chicken loop in hand. 9.9/10 it all works out and you simply hook in and go ride. For that rare 0.1 you simply let go of the chicken loop or it gets yanked forcefully from your hand. Either way, its a simple reset and go again. Not an injury.

Pullstrings last post about both hands on the bar, unhooked, leashed and trimmed all the way in is a disaster. No control of angle of attack at launch is the best way to get yanked.

Look, there are a lot of different ways to launch a kite, and they suit different conditions and locations. That being said, launching any standard LEI unhooked is not rocket science, any more than flying a kite one handed is rocket science.

You must be able to fly a kite well with only one hand on the bar near the middle. Holding near the middle keeps input mellow as all you are doing is raising the kite off the ground and holding it there.

You must be able to position yourself to the kite well enough to avoid sudden power spike. Avoiding stall and yank is the whole point, but if it happens due to poor positioning your going to learn the easy way, not the hard way.

You must be able to control the angle of attack with the chicken loop hand You are flying the kite actively at all times with both hands to avoid stalling and keep the kite flying smoothly as wind gusts, lulls or shifts. Even in powered conditions if your positioning to the kite is decent, there should not be more pull from the chicken loop than you can hold in one hand with the other on the bar sheeted nearly all the way out.

You must be able to hook your chicken loop in without looking at it. Competent riders hook in and out by feel due to repetition. They don't look down to see if their hooked back in, they can feel it. Same goes when hooking in while holding the chicken loop instead of the bar.

If any one of these seems difficult or does not make perfect intuitive sense, you are probably not yet a candidate for the safest possible option and will be better served going with what you know until such time as your skills allow you to comprehend how this all might be safer.

Once proficient, there are many who are quite capable of solo launching this way.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Thu May 25, 2017 2:54 pm

Watch at about 52 seconds in this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5XvVmf1pas

He's using a C4 to demonstrate this which is fairly c-shaped - albeit with a bridle. You could do all the preparation unhooked to self launch in the same way as per that video I guess.

That video makes perfect sense and is largely how I self launch and land when the need arises.

knyfe
Very Frequent Poster

Postby knyfe » Thu May 25, 2017 4:32 pm

sarc wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:02 pm
Folks, I'll only respond to reasonable on-topic questions. I respond because a guy died launching hooked in a short while ago; if this video prevents even just 1 accident, then it's great
Are you an Alameda local and can comment on the specifics? I doubt so please keep out of it.

Lets be realistic both approaches are ways to go with their advantages and disadvantages. The biggest problem is the guy bind the bar - not the way you launch. Stay focused on releasing at the first mishap. For me personally launching unhooked will not work at all.

G

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Thu May 25, 2017 5:24 pm

Starsky wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 1:40 pm

Pullstrings last post about both hands on the bar, unhooked, leashed and trimmed all the way in is a disaster. No control of angle of attack at launch is the best way to get yanked.
Read again...it would require a special trimmer that shortens front lines 22-24 inches...of course with trimmers we use now that shortens front lines 7-9 inches it would not work at all
That's why i ask how much "trim racers" have on their foilboards...is it 15 inches....18 inches...more ??........do you know...maybe those guys can launch the way i'm talking about

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu May 25, 2017 7:14 pm

knyfe wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 4:32 pm
The biggest problem is the guy bind the bar - not the way you launch. Stay focused on releasing at the first mishap.

this

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Fri May 26, 2017 1:14 am

PullStrings wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 5:24 pm
Starsky wrote:
Thu May 25, 2017 1:40 pm

Read again...it would require a special trimmer that shortens front lines 22-24 inches...of course with trimmers we use now that shortens front lines 7-9 inches it would not work at all
That's why i ask how much "trim racers" have on their foilboards...is it 15 inches....18 inches...more ??........do you know...maybe those guys can launch the way i'm talking about
Your still talking about both hands on the bar. That will never work for launching unhooked regardless of the length of the trimmer. The aim is to launch WITH active control of the angle of attack, not with it fixed.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Fri May 26, 2017 2:04 am

@Star...if for example the Ocean Rodeo stick-shift was able to trim out 22 inches of back lines...you could launch unhooked holding the bar with both hands
The angle of attack like you say would be such that the kite would launch depowered spilling wind and could be steered it until it is safe to hook in
However such a bar design does not exist yet from anybody...but it would work...and be safe

Return to “Kitesurfing”