Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cornwall beaches
Style: Waves
Gear: Naish & Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Best bankrupt?

Postby anthohopk70 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:42 pm

Last clearing before death, it looks clear... When you click on products or offers, an error appears...

Donniehall14
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kite Point/Princeton Point, Robinson's Island
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8M Takoon Chrono
10M Ocean Rodeo Razor
12 Switch Nitro

Postby Donniehall14 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:55 pm

Has anyone purchased a kite during this 2 for 1 sale? It's a pretty tempting deal.

Beardytello
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Isle of Man
Gear: North / Spleene / Ozone / CrazyFly / Mystic

Postby Beardytello » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:13 pm

Donniehall14 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:55 pm
Has anyone purchased a kite during this 2 for 1 sale? It's a pretty tempting deal.
Make sure you use Paypal or a credit card in case your order never shows up.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:42 pm

A year ago the signs of death were more visible, as they were clearing kites at ebay as low as $350. I think they are pioneering new path once again with dramatically lowered cost, keeping only essentials: manufacturing and website. Clearly, you as customer expect no support, but can you complain for $400 kite?

bjw
Medium Poster
Gear: Best

Postby bjw » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:59 pm

Apparently they are using older Best kite files. I'm told they haven't got a new kite designer.

Massivemick
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bantham, UK
Style: freeride
Gear: Best TS 7 & 8m
Best Roca 10 & 12m
Best Armada TT
Been thanked: 0

Postby Massivemick » Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:57 pm

Donniehall14 wrote:
Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:55 pm
No but i bought three new 2017 kites last year (10 & 12 Roca and a 7m TS) and am really please with the quality. handling etc (love-em). I haven't seen there 2018 kites in the flesh but no reason to believe they won't be every bit as good.

as to their current 2 for 1 deal, you can get better than that :dance: :dance:

good luck

sq225917
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Local Beach: Cleethorpes, Hunstanton, Lytham
Gear: Eleveight and Flysurfer

Postby sq225917 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:08 am

Those closeout deals are looking pretty tempting if price is your driver. I've had a couple of Roca's in my hands and they're fine kites. Slightly tweaked from the previous year's design and a bit better on the bar fully sheeted.

They've just simplified it, gone back to low prices, great performance and a direct sales model. Bets of luck with it.

Of course, if you want cutting-edge design then maybe it's not the brand for you, that's why I have a quiver of Eleveight FS.

If you want the most kiting for your dollar though then they're looking hard to beat.

Leon van Bergen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, Netherlands
Gear: Duotone Rebel 7,9,11 SLS ‘23 | 14m Juice Dlab | Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Leon van Bergen » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:38 am

Still I not dare to order anything from them, I expect them to fall over any moment.. Roca was scheduled to be launched in July but still no Roca..

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:01 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:46 pm
sq225917 wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:04 pm
he has been forced to leverage any value he had in BEST.
sq225917,

Thanks for your service to the kiteboarding community. I still quote you on a few things when I am asked certain questions. I hope some one starts paying you what you deserve.

As far as Best's current value, it could be zero. Best has had a declining market share, image, and internal issues since around 2012. That means that their potential sales for next year would be less than this year, and the following year less than next year. That puts the value of most companies in this situation solely in their current assets (land, buildings, patents, paid for stock on hand), as there is no potential for a return on investment. If the brand name is untarnished, some value can be assigned to it for sale. I would argue that is not the case given the current status of the company. If this guy is leveraging Best, he is leveraging some prime swamp land.

Please do not take this as bashing Best, but from an investors point of view, I am confident that I my assessment is accurate.

And again, this is why other kite companies are watching what is happening and making sure to avoid the mistakes of Best's marketing choices.
So....quoting myself, and I still I admit I could be wrong.....but I am leaning toward thinking I am dead on with this one.

Best's kiteboarding market share has already moved on to other brands. Other brands with complete re-designs are also having issues - just look at Switch with their new designs. Even if Best was just operating with no debt, their value is only in their physical assets. Their intellectual property has already been surpassed by their former designer in reality, and most importantly, in "hype".

So how much investment could a "bargain" brand attract by re-inventing itself? A lottery ticket sounds like a better bet to me.

Randy G
Rare Poster
Gear: Best ts

Postby Randy G » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:15 pm

I took a Gamble and went for ts 2 for 1 deal..
Kites showed up yesterday .. if they perform like the ones I have.. I'm sure I'll be happy.
Basically the bottom line is price and this makes it more affordable to get on the water.. I know there's quite a bit of bar pressure on the smaller ts but the 15M is my go-to kite for many years now.. So a 16M with a free 12M... that is just pretty hard to find anywhere.

Return to “Kitesurfing”