Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best bankrupt? Not bankrupt!

Forum for kitesurfers
dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Re: Best bankrupt?

Postby dylan* » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:51 pm

Yeah, pretty much every kite you used to see here was best, since they had a (factory? distribution centre?) nearby that would throw deals to locals. when they shut that down cabrinha slowly took over, i think im the only one with any best kites that i know of.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:29 pm

Ar you based in Florida Dylan ?
Best had its headquarter and main warehouse in Delray Beach.
I visited it once.

Now Cabrinha (Neil Pryde) USA is based in Miami with a big warehouse.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:08 am

Toby wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:29 pm
Ar you based in Florida Dylan ?
Best had its headquarter and main warehouse in Delray Beach.
I visited it once.

Now Cabrinha (Neil Pryde) USA is based in Miami with a big warehouse.
yes, i live a couple miles away from where the warehouse was

Krazedkiter
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Krazedkiter » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:21 am

dylan* wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:51 pm
Yeah, pretty much every kite you used to see here was best, since they had a (factory? distribution centre?) nearby that would throw deals to locals. when they shut that down cabrinha slowly took over, i think im the only one with any best kites that i know of.
I still have 1/2 dozen Best kites. My favorite kite I still use today is my 2008 Best Nemesis 10 meter. I have replaced the bridal and bladder but that kite still rocks. I have so much fun with it and boosting is incredible. Visited the Delray warehouse many times. The only thing is, whenever I take it out everybody thinks its my first session and I got the kite at a flea market since its so old. I also have a load of Cabrinha kites also, each have their own place and day.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:41 am

Rebirthing my 2009 Nemi's into single struts for foiling, they work well, The thin leading edge is light weight so the 10 mtr is now 2.8 kg and drifts really well. Currently my favourite foiling kite. Thanks Best.

anthohopk70
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cornwall beaches
Style: Waves
Gear: Naish & Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Postby anthohopk70 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:23 pm

It is obvious that Best has made some really great kites, no question on this ! Their designer was known for being one of the best out in this industry... I spoke with one old Best retailer recently, he also told me that this designer was gone, as well as a very big part of the people working there... Not sure who is designing new kites for Best, what will be his experience... So far not a single word from Best on this for now... it is a pitty that they ended up in such a bad situation, I still remember 2008 when all spots worldwide were absolutely full of Waroos and Nemesis...

Massivemick
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Bantham, UK
Style: freeride
Gear: Best TS 7 & 8m
Best Roca 10 & 12m
Best Armada TT
Been thanked: 0

Postby Massivemick » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:31 pm

shane1 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:50 pm
Hey Massivemick,

Where in the US is the Best company located these days? Hatteras is closed, San Francisco is closed…Let us know!
Hi Shane

I'm from the UK so not that familiar with US Market so had to 'ask a friend' (contact I know at Best). See below his response;

Right now we do not have any logistic or office in US . For the early future US market will be managed by our US Sales Director Lia Feriancek .
She will work remotely as most of the company do apart for the accounting and warehouse guys.
Gear will be delivered to the US and Canada (duty and taxes paid) in around 6-8 business days .
Best will ship worldwide from Barcelona, thanks to our new shipping provider Best will be able to deliver in all main markets duty and taxes paid at very competitive prices.
This is part of the strategy of cost reduction and efficiency we have been working on it during the last months.

I personally think there's some good work being done at Best and that the above message looks very positive in a very challenging / competitive industry.

I wish them all the Best and look forward to see their new gear this Spring

Mick

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:03 pm

anthohopk70 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:23 pm
It is obvious that Best has made some really great kites, no question on this ! Their designer was known for being one of the best out in this industry... I spoke with one old Best retailer recently, he also told me that this designer was gone, as well as a very big part of the people working there... Not sure who is designing new kites for Best, what will be his experience... So far not a single word from Best on this for now... it is a pitty that they ended up in such a bad situation, I still remember 2008 when all spots worldwide were absolutely full of Waroos and Nemesis...
Peter Stiewe is now with eleveight kites and the rest of the crew seems to have moved on. Peter always designed a kite with a great bar feel. After a year on the original crossbow, the waroo saved my elbows and wrists.

I had a 10m nemesis hp that I never did find the top end on. That kite was amazig at jumping finally updated my kahoona v6 quiver. Easiest relaunch kite, and easy to fly, Red left wing tip panel so you could quickly orient when the kite was down.

Best had the most elaborate kite backpack and a genius stuff sack that doubled as a sausage bag.

They had a great forum and they listened to their riders.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:48 pm

purdyd wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:03 pm
anthohopk70 wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:23 pm
Peter Stiewe is now with eleveight kites and the rest of the crew seems to have moved on. Peter always designed a kite with a great bar feel. After a year on the original crossbow, the waroo saved my elbows and wrists.

I had a 10m nemesis hp that I never did find the top end on. That kite was amazig at jumping finally updated my kahoona v6 quiver. Easiest relaunch kite, and easy to fly, Red left wing tip panel so you could quickly orient when the kite was down.

Best had the most elaborate kite backpack and a genius stuff sack that doubled as a sausage bag.

They had a great forum and they listened to their riders.
Some interesting points. Surely the first & second generation Waroos were already better kites than the Cabrinhas, which had notoriously heavy bar pressure? And the Waroos were selling for less than 1/3 the price.

The more recent Best "backpacks" & stuff sacks were great. The stuff sacks very compact & lightweight & the backpacks light weight & roomy so that you could put 2 kites, bars & pumps in. Some other brands are still supplying heavy duty, but smallish backpacks with their kites & no stuff sack - absolutely the most impractical solution for carrying & storing your gear.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:25 pm

Maybe it's been mentioned already, but what is Shannon Best up to now? Last I heard he was going back to KiteSurf to design some new kites for them.
https://www.air-head.com/2013/08/shanno ... urf-brand/
http://kitemovement.com/general/shannon ... g-company/

Return to “Kitesurfing”