Jpbarnlight
Rare Poster
Local Beach: NJ
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Ride Engine vs. Mystic Majestic X

Postby Jpbarnlight » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:35 pm

I've been using a '16 Ride Engine Elite with carbon slider for a little bit over one year.

Awesome harness but occasionally get a few sore spots.
Once in a while with a hard crash it will ride up into my rib cage.

Anybody that has used both that can give an honest assessment
and comparison between these two hardshells??
Last edited by Jpbarnlight on Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

maffhieu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Les Aresquiers
Gear: North Dice 12m 2016
North Dice 9m 2017
North Dice 7m 2018
North Team Series 2015
Ride Engine Silver Elite 2017
WOO 1.0
WOO 3.0

Re: Ride Engine vs. Mystic Majestic X

Postby maffhieu » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:16 am

Hello Jpbarnlight,

I had the RE Hexcore 2016 but broke it, now riding the RE Elite 2017, never any of those ride up on me ... That's what i love the most about it
Do you tight it enough ?

Also curious about how the Majestic X compares to a Ride Engine... ;)

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:26 pm

I also had the RE Hexcore 2016 and replace it for the 2017 model. I was a big fan of the RE 2016 model but the 2017 is much weaker then the 2016 model and I didn't like it. My body was painfully pinched
I tried the MMX and like it much more the RE. It don't ride up at all.

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:51 pm

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:07 am

I own a 2016 Ride Engine Hexcore with a carbon fiber spreader bar (with rope slider). I recently bought a Mystic Wave (similar to the X, but has a rope slider with a ring instead of a hook).

The first thing I noticed about the Mystic Harness is that it is heavier. This is due to a metal center bar and locking system. The Mystic harness is also more adjustable than the Ride Engine with 2 straps on both sides of the center bar.

I have been riding with the Mystic for 2 weeks in conditions from underpowered to very powered and I have to say that I like the Mystic more than the Ride Engine. For one thing, the extra adjustability of the Mystic Harness ensures that the harness stays exactly where you want it even in very powered conditions. The RE tends to move around more and I often found myself cranking the strap on the RE after riding for ten minutes. Part of the reason why is that you have to loosen the strap on the Ride Engine to take it on and off, the Mystic on the other hand utilizes a metal release. Once you have the fitting on the Mystic dialed in, it remains the same, while with the RE, you are finding the right adjustment everytime you go out.

The Mystic feels more supportive and less flexy than the RE, but I think that has to do more with the better adjustability of the Mystic.

One other difference is that the Mystic has a metal ring to connect your chicken loop to instead of just connecting it directly to the rope like you do on the RE. For me that is a bonus, because it means less wear on the rope and less friction as well. The only downside to the ring is that if you have short arms, it adds a bit of length. Of course, that can be easily rectified by connecting directly to the rope.

Overall, I would give the Mystic 9/10, taking away one point for the heavier weight. I would give the Ride Engive Hexcore 8/10, deducting 1 point for less adjustability and 1 point that you have to find the right adjustment every time you go out. I am holding on to my RE for travel, but the Mystic will be my choice at home.

tao189
Rare Poster
Gear: nugget 5'2 2015 csc
rsc supreme 5
Been thanked: 0

Postby tao189 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:47 pm

mr_daruman
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Okinawa beaches
Favorite Beaches: Mauritius
New Caledonia
Canaries
Style: Surfkite
Gear: Switch
Ozone
Wainman Hawaii
Brand Affiliation: Jimmy Lewis, Infinity

Postby mr_daruman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:09 am

I have been riding both harnesses, the MX for 6months, and the Ride engine 2017 for a year.
The Ride engine feels nice and tight with great back cushioning. The mystic is slightly looser, thinner back cushioning, but somehow feels lighter and more comfortable after a long session. Both feel nice and locked to the body. The MX is just a bit larger for a said size (I am 65kilo/175cm perfect using the S). Both have a great low profile shape. The MX seems to "wrap around" the body better. The RE is lighter on the spreader bar but the harness is heavier than the MX.

I now always go for the Mystic. Heres why:

-The MX is adjustable on both sides of the spreader bar. Rock solid quality straps. The tips are stitched. A lot thicker and wider than the RE`s flimsy, and always getting loose straps.
-Due to being beefier, the MX spreader doesnt move around as much as the RE which turns and twists around.
-THE ROPE! The MX rope is just a bit thicker and doesnt elongate like the RE. After a week of riding the RE the rope got 3~4cm longer. None of that with the MX. The MX's rope is a lot easier to change being in front of the harness. It is so hard to get the RE rope nice and tight. And the metals wholes the rope goes through gets rusty.
-Zero problem with the MX spreader clicker. In hard crashes I have had the RE spreader tubing get unhooked from the spreader bar.

Notes:

-Both harnesses are S SIZE.
-There is no side leash connector/ring on the MX. But very easy to add a strapped/ring to either side around the straps. The RE as one ring of both sides of the harness BUT. a friend of mine had them ripped out getting pulled hard during a missed trick. I haven't had any problems with mine though I don't use the harness for unhooked tricks.
-Both are hard back but MX is very very slightly flexier.
-From the pictures I had just re-tighten the rope on the RE...still started to elongate again.
-I do not use metal rings but sailing low friction rope glide rings.
-The mystic comes with a pouch which includes quite a long spare rope. Also has a knife built into the spreader bar.

So basically having a mystic spreader bar/rope with and adjustibilliy mixed with the RE harness would be the perfect harness...Though I give a slight edge to the mystic on long sessions for comfort. Personally I also like having a looser but stiff harness? If that makes any sense...

My score:
2017 RE 7/10
MX 8.5/10
Mystic really did a great job there. Solid harness. But pricy.
IMG_9585.JPG
IMG_9586.JPG
IMG_9587.JPG
IMG_9588.JPG
IMG_9589.JPG
IMG_9590.JPG
IMG_9591.JPG
IMG_9592.JPG
IMG_9593.JPG
IMG_9594.JPG
IMG_9595.JPG
IMG_9596.JPG
IMG_9597.JPG
IMG_9600.JPG
These users thanked the author mr_daruman for the post:
zlatko23 (Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:48 am)
Rating: 3.03%

IgorB
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Gradez
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Cumbuco, Lençóis Maranhenses
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot

Postby IgorB » Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:21 pm

What about the best from both world? Ride Enfgine Hex 2018 (size S) with Mystic Surf 4.0 spreader bar...
20180419_134600.jpg
20180419_134543.jpg
Attachments
20180419_134614.jpg
These users thanked the author IgorB for the post:
zlatko23 (Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:49 am)
Rating: 3.03%

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:35 pm

I ride the Majestic X and absolutely love it, best waist harness I have ridden. I have also used the Ride Engine and the Dakine C1, both great harnesses, but the Majestic X is more comfortable on me, by a large margin. Only negative for the Majestic is the price. If that doesn't bother you, go with the Majestic X. Oh, and the "clicker" spreader bar is awesome.

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:49 pm

Any one compared these to the Neil Pryde Atom harness?

Return to “Kitesurfing”