Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ocean Rodeo Flite Impressions

Forum for kitesurfers
nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ocean Rodeo Flite Impressions

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:09 pm

I don't find the Flite to be particularly easy to relaunch in low wind either. I have best results from reverse launching if possible. Otherwise I generally have to be patient.

I suspect its common for higher aspect kites. It doesn't seem to be any worse than my older rebels (c2009) and is certainly better than the newer rebels (c2012) which were much heavier. Could be my technique though

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:52 pm

I have the OR Flite's (2015) 7.5, 10, 12, 14.5 They are my main go to kites for KBH. I usually fly them with 28 m lines. In the air they are easy to depower and pivot nicely for transitions. Like Regis-de-giens my only negative is that I find them hard to relaunch in 8 kts and under. The easiest relaunch kite I have tried was the Best Kahonha.
I ended up also buying a 12 m foil to ride in winds 10 kts and less since I can keep it in the sky with 4 kts.
Another positive for the Flites is that they are a decent wave kite so when I am on kite trips and want to KBH and Surf I can just take the Flites.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:40 pm

irwe wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:52 pm
I have the OR Flite's (2015) 7.5, 10, 12, 14.5 They are my main go to kites for KBH. I usually fly them with 28 m lines. In the air they are easy to depower and pivot nicely for transitions. Like Regis-de-giens my only negative is that I find them hard to relaunch in 8 kts and under. The easiest relaunch kite I have tried was the Best Kahonha.
I ended up also buying a 12 m foil to ride in winds 10 kts and less since I can keep it in the sky with 4 kts.
Another positive for the Flites is that they are a decent wave kite so when I am on kite trips and want to KBH and Surf I can just take the Flites.
I find it surprising that anyone would have anything but pure praise for the relaunch of the FLITE. It is the sole reason we originally tested them... we were standing in waste deep water with our kites not relaunching and this newb taking a lesson with Tim (who was not with him at that moment) was crashing and relaunching his FLITE over and over again. I couldn't even get my kite to roll with any technique. I can relaunch our FLITE's (GEN4 and GEN5) in 5 knots no problem. Maybe they improved the relaunch from the Gen3 to Gen4?

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:44 pm

Jwoo wrote:
Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:17 pm
Ok...I'll bite. I have a Flite 12 and 14.5, along with Prodigy 12 and 9.5

I love the Flite's in light (steady) wind. They loop very well. If you need and extra boost, Flites will do nice fast powered loops, even in very light wind. They both flip over fast but smoothly when doing powered jibes, and they stay in the air in crazy light wind. With both I seem to be able to kite in lighter wind, and go upwind better than most other people on different brands. That said, I'm not a big fan of Flites in gusty wind. I've never used any other light wind kites, and maybe this is true for all of them, but I find the line between being comfortable and uncomfortably overpowered with the Flites to be very small during gusty conditions. Where I kite, the wind is normally super gusty, and for gusty conditions I like the Prodigy much better. I haven't had the opportunity to try a bunch of kites, but I've flown various, Ozone, North, and Cabrinha kites, and I find that in gusty conditions, the Prodigy is one of the most stable and fun kites I've tried. It flies similar to the Flite, but it absorbs gusts much better. It's easier to trim so that it won't overpower during gusts, but still allow me to power through lulls. If I'm hit with an unexpected gust or lull during a maneuver, I find the Prodigy allows me to compensate for a sudden wind change much easier than with any other kite I've had the opportunity to fly.
Powered loops???? You have no idea what you are talking about. Please stop.

borist
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby borist » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:46 pm

I only have 2016 12m Flite. I don't think of it as a hard to relaunch kite, but except my old kahoonas, many of my kites need some coercion to relaunch in light wind. If I have time I use little rocking, pull one brake line to get the kite a bit to one side and then hard pull on the opposite. Flite usually rolls over on a wing tip and I just yank front lines to get it flying. Cross-line-pull, front/opposite back line I use if I'm too close to obstacle and need to relaunch quickly. It is not hard if you can sit on the board and don't have higher Y bar setup.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:22 am

Laughingman wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:40 pm
I couldn't even get my kite to roll with any technique. I can relaunch our FLITE's (GEN4 and GEN5) in 5 knots no problem. Maybe they improved the relaunch from the Gen3 to Gen4?
I have the Gen 4 and cannot imagine relaunch under 7-8 knots. Which technics do you use ?
Maybe its relaunch is good and i have lost the habit to wait for higher winds than my foilkite...

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:47 am

Laughingman wrote:
irwe wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:52 pm
I find it surprising that anyone would have anything but pure praise for the relaunch of the FLITE. It is the sole reason we originally tested them... we were standing in waste deep water with our kites not relaunching and this newb taking a lesson with Tim (who was not with him at that moment) was crashing and relaunching his FLITE over and over again. I couldn't even get my kite to roll with any technique. I can relaunch our FLITE's (GEN4 and GEN5) in 5 knots no problem. Maybe they improved the relaunch from the Gen3 to Gen4?
Interesting. Is this only in standing depth water? I'm only ever out on a foil in light wind so its always trying to relaunch in deep water and on long lines. I think I'd struggle to get enough line tension to relaunch anything in 5 knots in deep water. Not saying the Flite is worse than average at relaunch, just that its shape isn't going to help as much as a lower aspect shaped design like the prodigy.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:35 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:22 am
Laughingman wrote:
I couldn't even get my kite to roll with any technique. I can relaunch our FLITE's (GEN4 and GEN5) in 5 knots no problem. Maybe they improved the relaunch from the Gen3 to Gen4?
I have the Gen 4 and cannot imagine relaunch under 7-8 knots. Which technics do you use ?
Maybe its relaunch is good and i have lost the habit to wait for higher winds than my foilkite...
I can easily reverse launch my 17m gen 2 in 7-8mph in deep water.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:55 am

but not my 10m Gen 4 ...

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:10 pm

Not being able to relaunch a 10m in sub-7 knot winds is sort of like not being able to fly a 17m in 30 knot winds very comfortably. Just almost not enough canopy to provide something for the wind to push on at that level. I have spent an incredible amount of time on the Flites; I own a quiver of them myself. I'd say the 17m Flite relaunches better than any of its competitors, with the possible exception of the Turbine.

I'm sure some fat little kites would relaunch better, but not sure how good they'd be for foiling, though. I'll let some better foiling experts chime in on that.

Disclaimer: I sell Flites and Turbines...

Return to “Kitesurfing”