Gear: 12, 9, 7 North Dice 2016
12 OR Flite 2016
12, 9 North Evo 2014
MHL Lift Foil
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

North Neo for hydrofoiling/surfboarding

Postby dksurfer » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:54 pm

I am thinking of getting a north neo for hydrofoiling and surboarding in light winds. I weight 180lbs (82kg). I am comfortable on the foil board, gybing and riding toe side. Learning tacks now. Like to get out in the lightest possible winds, 8knts or so for the foil board, and a bit more wind for the surboard. Not sure if the Neo 12m is the kite I need for this or can I get away with the Neo 10m. I am looking for feedback from other riders that have used the Neo for hydrofoiling and surboarding in light winds. I know there are better kites for light wind hydro foiling but I am more interested in an all round kite.

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Neo for hydrofoiling/surfboarding

Postby salvino » Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:12 pm

I'm 90kg and ride foil and surfboard using North Neo 9M. It is a fantastic kite for both. I can foil in 8-22 mph with this kite obviously can't be just 8 or below-I'm not saying it's for the lightest of winds. Then above that or if I want to work on strapless surfboard tricks I grab that. The 9M is good to 30 on surfboard. But 25-35 is way better on 7m.
These kites do generate power being flown-hence they are correct in going down 1-1/2 size.
They shine when flying through zenith for unweighting during transition moves.

Return to “Kitesurfing”