Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: North Dyno 2015 NO water relaunch?

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:15 am

mr moon wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:07 am
Snip..

Yes I've also tried to swim backwards, but the current was strong and the kite started to dive pretty fast in front of me :-?

Don't blame the current :o

Will repeat: Current does not change relaunch in any way whatsoever :thumb:

You will go more upwind, or less, compared to solid ground, depending on current direction, when riding, that is the only difference when powered the same.

Bodydrag for your board, and relaunch, is NOT influenced by current no matter how strong the current, and which direction.

Most erroneously think it does, this is why I keep posting when it pops up :D

Of course it is always nice to have something to blame, but it doesn't work like that :-?

8) Peter

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Lokihel » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:32 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:15 am
mr moon wrote:
Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:07 am
Snip..

Yes I've also tried to swim backwards, but the current was strong and the kite started to dive pretty fast in front of me :-?

Don't blame the current :o

Will repeat: Current does not change relaunch in any way whatsoever :thumb:

You will go more upwind, or less, compared to solid ground, depending on current direction, when riding, that is the only difference when powered the same.

Bodydrag for your board, and relaunch, is NOT influenced by current no matter how strong the current, and which direction.

Most erroneously think it does, this is why I keep posting when it pops up :D

Of course it is always nice to have something to blame, but it doesn't work like that :-?

8) Peter

When you have current pulling you straight downwind it does affect water relaunch, particularly in light winds.
If you and your floating kite are both drifting downwind, that means your kite 'feels' less wind, and will therefore be harder to relaunch.

The bodydragging part is only true if you assume your board is drifting at the same speed as you are. This might not always be true depend on the relative direction of the wind and current.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:57 pm

No Lokihel, if you are powered the same when riding on your board, and same kitesize, the current doesnt matter at all, relaunch is precisely the same no matter how much current :naughty:

To compensate for current, we choose a bigger kite if downwind current, and a smaller if upwind current - to get the "right" power when riding, of course, to be powered the same when riding, this is something you learn but takes a lot of time and you can still be surprised sometimes.
Meaning, that if a bigger kite in general is harder to relaunch, there is a difference, agree - but if same kitesize and powered the same (two different scenarios), definetly no difference no matter how much current.

In really strong downwind current, we often choose a bigger kite than would be sweetspot when riding, so we can go upwind better, a tad overpowered so to speak - at least at wavespots.
But this is not the topic here...

For bodydrag yes, it is assumed you are in approximately the same current, but this is almost always the case, for most kitesurfers at least, with very few exceptions only :wink:

8) Peter

mr moon
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shoreham (UK)
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay, Silver Sands & a few more
Style: Wave / Freeride
Gear: North, Firewire, Wainman, Ozone
Has thanked: 0

Postby mr moon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:29 pm

I think I understand what Peter means about the current:

that both myself and the kite were floating at the same speed (downwind/downcurrent) hence the current made no difference in the kite behaviour or in the water filling the kite. I thought that the current was helping the kite collecting water much faster.

ANYWAY, at that point instead to try pulling the front lines and swimming backwards I should have just pulled the 5th line and reverse the kite on its LE...

Return to “Kitesurfing”