Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Best Roca vs TS - which one to choose?

Forum for kitesurfers
GrodanBoll
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Best Roca vs TS - which one to choose?

Postby GrodanBoll » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:59 am

It's time to replace my RRD Obsession 9m and Airush Varial X 10m with a Best kite, I just can't decide if I should go for the TS 9m or Roca 9m.

Personally I like hybrid kites and bowkites. I have a North Vegas 8m as well in my collection, but I feel a bit more comfortable with my hybrid and bowkites.

I'm looking for a kite with which I can beat my woo-record (14.9m with the RRD Obsession in flat water) and at the same time a kite which is smooth and fast to loop (I often make downloops and heli-loops to soften my landings). I like to ride when the wind is howling so the kite must be solid and not start bend and creas in the LE (will the 3-strut Roca keep its shape as good as the 5-strut TS...)

Any suggestion? TS or Roca?

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Re: Best Roca vs TS - which one to choose?

Postby Frank82 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:48 am

Go for the TS, should be better at looping and be more stable. I've flown the 9m and it has nice lift and hangtime for a hybrid kite.

xoen
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefels, Mar bella, Riumar
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed Lotus 15m. 2013 Cabrinha Switchblades 7,9,12 m/ Shinnster/Cabrinha Tronic/Sroka Hydrofoil

Postby xoen » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:42 am

GrodanBoll wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:59 am
It's time to replace my RRD Obsession 9m and Airush Varial X 10m with a Best kite, I just can't decide if I should go for the TS 9m or Roca 9m.

Personally I like hybrid kites and bowkites. I have a North Vegas 8m as well in my collection, but I feel a bit more comfortable with my hybrid and bowkites.

I'm looking for a kite with which I can beat my woo-record (14.9m with the RRD Obsession in flat water) and at the same time a kite which is smooth and fast to loop (I often make downloops and heli-loops to soften my landings). I like to ride when the wind is howling so the kite must be solid and not start bend and creas in the LE (will the 3-strut Roca keep its shape as good as the 5-strut TS...)

Any suggestion? TS or Roca?
I would say Roca. I am coming from Switchblades and loving my Rocas. jumps great, even more hangtime than my Switchblades, and loops tight enough if I want it too. For tricks combined with loops/rolls it is the best kite I have tried so far. If you want to unhook for sure TS, if you are more into hooked in trickstery, then roca all the way. The only thing I have noticed that I dislike a bit is the bending...the kite is not as rigid as my switchblades, in high wind conditions... But I am using a 11m in up to 25-27 knots..I would think a 9 m is more solid, since there is not that much canopy to hold...

Hope to have helped a bit

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:41 pm

both kites are good for jumping. roca is more of a sheet and go type kite, braindead simple to jump with. TS is more c-shaped and takes a little more skill to get everything out of it, requires a little more precision. TS has more controllable top end, if you ride overpowered rather than sizing down, its easier to push to the edge of the window. TS loops better. if you unhook and are looking for a progression kite the TS is really your only choice out of the two, but for all other riders id say definitely suggest the roca, its a very well designed kite.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:22 pm

If you can find a way to send some wind to the Southeast US I will be more than happy to compare my new 10m Roca to my 9m TS. Have not had a chance to put it up in the air.

If it helps, the TS is fairly similar to the SS RPM from a turning speed / responsiveness perspective, but the TS feels more direct. RPM feels soft / spongy in comparison, but would handle gusts with a smoother bar feel. Weak analogy is a sports car with really stiff versus soft suspension, one is a blast to drive when conditions are smooth, the other is more comfortable when conditions are rough. Both are pretty fast, but I think the TS is faster.

Can also compare the TS to a Cab Switchblade, Naish Pivot, Best GP, North Neo, North Dyno, North Rebel, Naish Park, or Ozone Chrono V2. Hint: it feels the least like the Chrono...

Will compare to Roca if I get any form of kiteable wind soon.

GrodanBoll
Medium Poster

Postby GrodanBoll » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:35 am

Thanks for your feedback guys! I´m still not convinced whether I should go for the Roca or the TS. I´m not doing unhooked tricks, but on the other hand I often loop the kite (downloops and heli-loops), so perhaps will the TS be a better choice. I´m thinking that the best would be to try them both and compare before a final decision!

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:19 pm

if youre just looping to save the kite or soften the landing i dont think it really matters, pretty much any kite will work. i was talking more about powered kiteloops, the roca doesnt have quite the same forward speed as the ts so its a little less reliable

ive gotten 10-12m jumps with the roca and ive never felt the need to downloop though, it behaves really well just by redirecting it. maybe with smaller kites/more wind you might, ive only ridden the 10/12/14. other kites ive found pretty much *must* be downlooped or they end up behind you, not really the case with the roca/ts

tommeltot
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: .
Been thanked: 0

Postby tommeltot » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:02 pm

The Roca would be the ‘best’ all round kite. I hazard a guess for foiling too (finally spell checked!)
Last edited by tommeltot on Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:24 pm

Just pumped up an 11m Roca & had it out in very light winds. I was surprised how (relatively) high aspect the Roca is. The struts are very thin which leaves the kite a bit "bendy" when moving it around on the beach. In the air it flies quite nicely & feels very light. I can't comment on how it feels powered up, or how it jumps. After this short experience, I'm wondering if the Roca isn't designed to be somewhat along the lines of a Liquid Force Solo? It feels like it would be a good kite for foiling.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10

Postby tegirinenashi » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:37 pm

Aside from the number of struts and odd sizing [pun intended], is there actually any difference in shape? What is AR of TS? What is AR of Roca?

Return to “Kitesurfing”