Re: 2018 - Cabrinha Kitesurfing

Postby Cab Driver » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:11 pm

Bartolo wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:10 pm
Cab Driver wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:43 pm
skideeppow wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:18 pm
Debating on upgrading my 9 drifter to the new drifter. Cab driver, can you let me know what the advantages are with the 2018?
The Drifter was launched in 2012 and has forever changed surfing with a kite. 2018 is the first all new Drifter since then. We have been very careful not to screw up the Drifter's special sauce while modernizing the kite. Expect the same amazing slack line drift. The big differences come in noticeably faster steering, a slightly shifted lower wind range (i.e. take slightly smaller size), super light bar feedback (designed on "A" wingtip setting for light bar feel as opposed to previous models), better upwind in the "on-shore" setting (off-shore crushes upwind), and way better freeride performance for jumping, strapless freestyle, etc. You definitely need to try one. Don't underestimate how much better the kite is for freeriding, screwing around on a skimboard, etc.
Hello Cabdriver,
do you know if they did change something to the bar pu-tube diameter so the landingline can't be stuck anymore like in the previous years models?
Changed from 2016 to 2017 already.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:13 pm

rleshem wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:05 am
Cabdriver, what are the main changes for the FX besides the bridle setting option?

Thx
The FX is redesigned, so you really need to try one. Think of it as a refinement more so than a major overhaul. So far, we are getting really good feedback at demos from all levels of kiters on the freestyle setting that has the kite fly farther forward in the window.

kitekook77
Rare Poster
Gear: 2023 North Orbits
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby kitekook77 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:35 pm

I have been riding Cabrinha kites since 2005, and I hate to say anything negative about the brand since overall I feel that they make quality gear, but I do not like the 2018 bar, particularly the "New center fitting with larger opening". The larger opening changes the flacrum point, adding too much play, less precision, making the steering feel delayed and kind of spongy. I first thought it was my new 2018 FX kite, but then I used the 2018 bar on a 2017 FX, both set on the B steeing setting, and sure enough I experienced the same results in regards to steering response. Next I will try my 2017 bar on my 2018 FX to confirm this even further. As it stands now, I will most likely sell my 2018 bar, and run the 2017 bars on all my 2018 Cab Kites.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:18 am

kitekook77 wrote: I have been riding Cabrinha kites since 2005, and I hate to say anything negative about the brand since overall I feel that they make quality gear, but I do not like the 2018 bar, particularly the "New center fitting with larger opening". The larger opening changes the flacrum point, adding too much play, less precision, making the steering feel delayed and kind of spongy. I first thought it was my new 2018 FX kite, but then I used the 2018 bar on a 2017 FX, both set on the B steeing setting, and sure enough I experienced the same results in regards to steering response. Next I will try my 2017 bar on my 2018 FX to confirm this even further. As it stands now, I will most likely sell my 2018 bar, and run the 2017 bars on all my 2018 Cab Kites.
You mean the Y split is at different position?

kitekook77
Rare Poster

Postby kitekook77 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:43 am

Ok, I have to eat my words and take back what I said earlier....I spoke too soon without doing more extensive testing in more varied conditions. Tested the 2018 10m FX again today with the 2018 trimlite bar and the 2017 trimlite bar in more stable and consitent conditions (steady 17-21mph) , and the difference between the two bars were negligible, and I did not notice any delayed steering response. I will do the same tests in more varied conditions before reaching a final conclusion.

Hpr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: West Coast Cape Town
Gear: 5th gear

Postby Hpr » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:54 pm

Cab Driver wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:13 pm
rleshem wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:05 am
Cabdriver, what are the main changes for the FX besides the bridle setting option?

Thx
The FX is redesigned, so you really need to try one. Think of it as a refinement more so than a major overhaul. ...
Huh? Redesigned and refinement is kind of the opposite of each other, redesigned and major overhaul is kind of the same....well to me anyway?

huge
Medium Poster

Postby huge » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:48 pm

Dear Kitekook77,

Is the 2018 FX a little more grunty than before (especially on the freestyle setting) ? trying to figure out if I am ordering a 12 or a 14 @ 185 lbs

thanks

kitekook77
Rare Poster

Postby kitekook77 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:19 am

Huge,

The 3 front bridle position settings (freestyle, kiteloop, freeride) for the FX is new this year. This years FX still has the rear/steering line A and B settings like before, which primarily affect the bar pressure, I personally like flying the current and previous years FX on the B setting most of the time as I like a more direct feel. The default/stock setting on the new FX is the kiteloop setting, which is the middle briddle point on the leading edge. With the new FX set on the kiteloop setting it will feel very similiar to the previous years FX kites, about the same amount of power, and same steering response as the previous years. With the new FX front briddle set to the freestyle setting, the kite will actually fly slightly more forward in the wind window than in comparison to the default kiteloop setting, thus it will be slightly less grunty on this setting, but with the FX being a nimble kite with light bar pressure, you can just sine it a few times and build up your board speed and then park it, the FX is not a sheath in and go kite like the switchblade is anyways. With the FX front briddle set to the freeride setting, the kite will fly slightly back or deeper in the wind window, and in return will make the new FX a little more grunty on this setting than the other settings and from the previous years FX kites. The new FX out of the box on the default setting is pretty much the same kite as the previous years, with a little more refinement, as it does loop with a little more forward pull and flys back to 12/overhead quicker when looping it. These new front briddle tuning options are really nice as it makes the FX a little more versitile of a kite for various conditions and riding styles. If you get a chance to demo the new FX and the conditions permit, I would definitely recommend flying the FX on the various front briddle settings. Overall, I am pretty stoked with this kite.

As far as for what size would be best at 185lbs, it would be dependent on what wind range you typically ride in at your location, and what board/s combo you are riding with it. If you rode the previous years FX, and you were happy with it (power, grunt, speed, bar pressure, etc.), I would just go with the same size as you rode in the previous years FX. Myself at 195lbs, I run a 14m and 10m FX, I did the 12m also along with the 14m and 10m in previous years and found myself rarely riding the 12m, as the 14m and 10m overlap the 12m quite a bit for wind range. The 14m and 10m do just fine for most of the wind conditions I typically ride in, in stronger wind I ride the older 2015 9m and 7m Chaos.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:04 pm

2018 Product Shoot - THE MOVIE (Cabrinha Kitesurfing 2018)

Cabrinha's finest talent comes together in this movie that follows the team during their 2018 product shoot in Hawaii. There are so many different ways to enjoy the power of a kite so taking nothing too seriously we join the adventure to explore just a few.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCNTKAyeOAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCNTKAyeOAA

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:10 pm

huge wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:48 pm
Dear Kitekook77,

Is the 2018 FX a little more grunty than before (especially on the freestyle setting) ? trying to figure out if I am ordering a 12 or a 14 @ 185 lbs

thanks
I'll jump in a little bit here. In Freeride setting, yes it's more sheet in and go. In freestyle, it's less so, flies even more forward in the window, and creates a lot of slack when unhooked. Several of my team riders have migrated off the Chaos to the new FX because the freestyle is really good.

Return to “Kitesurfing”