HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Re: 2018 - Cabrinha Kitesurfing

Postby bragnouff » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:52 pm

Cab Driver wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:11 pm

The 2017 model only hit the market in February, six months ago, so it makes no sense to update after such a short time and what I would consider excellent feedback from the market.
That argument would also apply to the rest of the product which got updated. Why did it make sense then to redo the board, and not the wings?

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:47 am

bragnouff wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:52 pm
Cab Driver wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:11 pm

The 2017 model only hit the market in February, six months ago, so it makes no sense to update after such a short time and what I would consider excellent feedback from the market.
That argument would also apply to the rest of the product which got updated. Why did it make sense then to redo the board, and not the wings?
Simple. We feel we had a better design for the board, but we feel the foil and wings are rock solid and don't need change. The Double Agent is doing exactly what we want it to do: ease of use, maneuverability, accessibility, and durability. Let me know if you have any other questions! Feel free to PM me.

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:19 pm

Hello Cab Driver, I have this years 2017 Cabrinha S quad in 5'9" it is a very nice fun carvy board. The one issue I have is that it needs one more forward foot insert for a person to use it with foot straps. I ride it strapless but with straps the most forward setting is still a little back from were my stance is when riding strapless. The construction quality, durability has been excellent even though my board must have been an early production because it has a Matt finish on the top deck and later ones have a gloss finish. I like the Matt finish better.

May have an insert added when I thrash it some more, and Buy another new 2018 for dedicated strapless.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Cab Driver » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:08 pm

madworld wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:19 pm
Hello Cab Driver, I have this years 2017 Cabrinha S quad in 5'9" it is a very nice fun carvy board. The one issue I have is that it needs one more forward foot insert for a person to use it with foot straps. I ride it strapless but with straps the most forward setting is still a little back from were my stance is when riding strapless. The construction quality, durability has been excellent even though my board must have been an early production because it has a Matt finish on the top deck and later ones have a gloss finish. I like the Matt finish better.

May have an insert added when I thrash it some more, and Buy another new 2018 for dedicated strapless.
Awesome!! I'm glad you enjoy it! I'll be certain to pass on your feedback about a further forward insert option. Thank you.

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug
Gear: Drifters, 2018 7, 9, Airusdh Ultra 12 2019
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby skideeppow » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:18 pm

Debating on upgrading my 9 drifter to the new drifter. Cab driver, can you let me know what the advantages are with the 2018?

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Cab Driver » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:43 pm

skideeppow wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:18 pm
Debating on upgrading my 9 drifter to the new drifter. Cab driver, can you let me know what the advantages are with the 2018?
The Drifter was launched in 2012 and has forever changed surfing with a kite. 2018 is the first all new Drifter since then. We have been very careful not to screw up the Drifter's special sauce while modernizing the kite. Expect the same amazing slack line drift. The big differences come in noticeably faster steering, a slightly shifted lower wind range (i.e. take slightly smaller size), super light bar feedback (designed on "A" wingtip setting for light bar feel as opposed to previous models), better upwind in the "on-shore" setting (off-shore crushes upwind), and way better freeride performance for jumping, strapless freestyle, etc. You definitely need to try one. Don't underestimate how much better the kite is for freeriding, screwing around on a skimboard, etc.

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Postby Bartolo » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:31 pm

Hello Cabdriver,
do you know if they did change something to the bar pu-tube diameter so the landingline can't be stuck anymore like in the previos years models?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:39 pm

I've bought a lot of kites last 16 years. Basically, I'm 90% into the function of the kite, so early days I stayed away from high bar pressure. Then they fixed that, but the kites have been butt ugly. Either Pete has poor feeling for graphic design or his designers are bored egomaniacs and Pete has lost interest. Hard to tell.
I'm a design professional and it's possible to get it right and have colors and graphics that resonate with your customers. It's not easy, but it ain't rocket science.
In my opinion these kites graphics and colors are a step in the right direction, but too little too late.

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Postby Bartolo » Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:10 pm

Cab Driver wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:43 pm
skideeppow wrote:
The Drifter was launched in 2012 and has forever changed surfing with a kite. 2018 is the first all new Drifter since then. We have been very careful not to screw up the Drifter's special sauce while modernizing the kite. Expect the same amazing slack line drift. The big differences come in noticeably faster steering, a slightly shifted lower wind range (i.e. take slightly smaller size), super light bar feedback (designed on "A" wingtip setting for light bar feel as opposed to previous models), better upwind in the "on-shore" setting (off-shore crushes upwind), and way better freeride performance for jumping, strapless freestyle, etc. You definitely need to try one. Don't underestimate how much better the kite is for freeriding, screwing around on a skimboard, etc.
Hello Cabdriver,
do you know if they did change something to the bar pu-tube diameter so the landingline can't be stuck anymore like in the previous years models?

danidr
Medium Poster
Style: Twintip
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby danidr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:30 pm

Bartolo wrote:
Sun Aug 06, 2017 12:10 pm
Cab Driver wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:43 pm
skideeppow wrote:
Hello Cabdriver,
do you know if they did change something to the bar pu-tube diameter so the landingline can't be stuck anymore like in the previous years models?
According to Cabrinha there's no problem with this, the system worked fine... my line kept getting stuck because of user error and declined to fix it. Thankfully my dealer did chip in and sent me the necessary replacements! I'm on my second 2016 bar, since the 2017 had the same problem and I refused to upgrade to a bar with the same issue. If the 2018 has the same problem, I'll just get another 2016 bar at half price.

Return to “Kitesurfing”