Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Your worst kitesurf injury ?

forum for kitesurfers

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, EVOS, 15.5 Switch Helium . Shinn Monk 32x 41, Monk 37x44, Sector 54
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Your worst kitesurf injury ?

Postby matth » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:14 pm

I have to say, this thread has been an eye opener for me. I never realized people got hurt this bad and often.
I am nursing myself back from rotator cuff surgery(not kite related) and just the thought of going through this again is frightning.
When I do start riding again I plan on taking it easy , staying away from crap conditions and just becoming a free riding, moderate jumps, med , small wave junkie.
If you have a family or a self employed like myself think of the consequences if you get hurt bad. It can be a bad situation.
I always tell me son who is a great skier and terrain park daredevil....LET SOMEONE ELSE BE THE HERO, pulling off some new move just isn't worth it sometimes.. Just my opinion...no hate mail please..
Last edited by matth on Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

kazi
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby kazi » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:31 pm

Got scared jumping and kicked my board off and slammed it with my shin when I came down. It hurt but tooled around for another hour. When I came in and peeled off my wet-suit there was a 2 inch tear in my skin and the muscle was exposed. Lucky my wife is a physician, she cleaned it and stitched me up in front of our kids.

I've seen allot of injuries especially acl/pcl tears for the guys who like to twirl. Not worth it for me. I do want to improve my jumping this year as the last couple of years I've been focused on strapless wave kiting. I plan to take things slo. :thumb:

bigtone667
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Umina Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, lawn mowing
Gear: BRM Cloud C2's, D's

Slingshot Skim Board, North Surfboards, BRM Paipo, Shinn Shinnster/Jackson, Firewire Boards, CrazyFly Doors, Zeeko Carver/Spitfire Foils, Naish Hover 155, Naish Thrust Surf Foil, Konrad Foil

Postby bigtone667 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:44 am

jespin4845 wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:49 pm
split my scrotum one inch when I fell on my hydrofoil mast between my legs :D
That made me grimace and chuckle all at the same time. Can totally related to the Foil Damage.

Broke two ribs being dragged up a beach after a bridle wrap. Six weeks out, but I started kiting again after four (couldn't help myself).

Badly tore my hamstring when I got bent over a straight leg and my nose attempted to touch my knee. Thought I had snapped my leg. Bruised from the knee up to my arse cheek. Three weeks out.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: None, not even lawnmower.
Gear: Wipika Freeair 8.5 2 liner and Picklefork.
Brand Affiliation: iansmusic.com - free music for your kite videos

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:07 am

Never ask anyone in the $industry$ for an opinion about kiteboarding safety!

For me a lesson was accepting as you get older to chill out a bit - due to basics like weaker joints bones etc. I watch a lot of older riders like kelly slater (just did horrific foot injury in South Africa), older skateboarders and even a few kiters going hard out and am inspired but there is a genuine higher risk involved - I now accept that - took me messing myself up to accept that.

i thought surfboard freestyle was going to lower risk - wrong for me - i thought i was alone but it seems not.

i know a generation of top nz freestylers - nearly all of them have either shoulder or knee reconstructions!

Some world class rider I can remember that have been injured:-

Youri Zoon - acl twice
Ruben Lenten - ankle injury
Aaron Hadlow- acl injury
Marc jacobs - knee surgery
Alex pastor - Shoulder
Bruna Kajiya - KNee injury
Kevin Langeree - just snapped his ankle (think he did an acl too)
Kai Lenny - recently did his ankle in too
Robby Naish - Broken Pelvis

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:41 pm

Broken wrist. Within 3 months of starting on the water, edged hard and sheeted in to stop, right on the shore line :D superman into the beach. Herpa derp.
Was the end of summer, so was out til next summer.
Played video games inside in the warm.
Yes.

junebug
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Gear: Twintip
Foil

Postby junebug » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:55 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:07 am
For me a lesson was accepting as you get older to chill out a bit - due to basics like weaker joints bones etc. I watch a lot of older riders like kelly slater (just did horrific foot injury in South Africa), older skateboarders and even a few kiters going hard out and am inspired but there is a genuine higher risk involved ...
This is part of the reason I started foiling. Yes, foiling can be somewhat dangerous to learn, but, unless you are into big air on the foil (which I am not), freeride foiling is much easier on your body than twintip. I'm 44 years old and I want to be riding a kite on the water in some form or fashion for at least the next 25 years.

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:21 pm

longwhitecloud wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:07 am
Never ask anyone in the $industry$ for an opinion about kiteboarding safety!

For me a lesson was accepting as you get older to chill out a bit - due to basics like weaker joints bones etc. I watch a lot of older riders like kelly slater (just did horrific foot injury in South Africa), older skateboarders and even a few kiters going hard out and am inspired but there is a genuine higher risk involved - I now accept that - took me messing myself up to accept that.

i thought surfboard freestyle was going to lower risk - wrong for me - i thought i was alone but it seems not.

i know a generation of top nz freestylers - nearly all of them have either shoulder or knee reconstructions!

Some world class rider I can remember that have been injured:-

Youri Zoon - acl twice
Ruben Lenten - ankle injury
Aaron Hadlow- acl injury
Marc jacobs - knee surgery
Alex pastor - Shoulder
Bruna Kajiya - KNee injury
Kevin Langeree - just snapped his ankle (think he did an acl too)
Kai Lenny - recently did his ankle in too
Robby Naish - Broken Pelvis
You forgot Sam Light: broken thumb while falling on SUP on flat water :o Shit happens

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: None, not even lawnmower.
Gear: Wipika Freeair 8.5 2 liner and Picklefork.
Brand Affiliation: iansmusic.com - free music for your kite videos

Postby longwhitecloud » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:48 am

"You forgot Sam Light: broken thumb while falling on SUP on flat water :o Shit happens "

really ? ! imagine what would happen if he did strapless freestyle! :-0

Rufusz
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Lake Balaton, Hungary
Favorite Beaches: Hurghada, Egypt
Viganj, Croatia
El Médano, Tenerife
Style: Foil, Freeride
Gear: Kitech 6m2, 9m2, 15m2 foil kites
Moses Fluente
Flysurfer radical4

Postby Rufusz » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:56 am

The wing cut my hand during learning HF strapless.
Quite deep cut the foil stopped at the tendon sheath.
FB_IMG_15012208846708946.jpg
Mostly my fault: chose to go out in high chop and gusty winds despite my lack of experience.

I use front straps, helmet and impact vest since then :)

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1970
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:05 am

^
My foil buddies use gloves as well with no fingers. The would definitely prevent this.

Ok,

so let's talk bones: broken hip, broken T12/13, broken wrist, broken collar bone 3x in my life, same bone.

This was the last time collar bone 2015:

Of kiting, only collar bone snapped tho. Took me 6mths and shoulder is now 2.5cm shorter. No surgery. No issues.

My experience is there is no pain compared to a displaced collar bone. Maybe a bladder infection, and man maybe you know what I'm talking about.
Normally, I visit dentist without any painkillers, so recon can take it to some degree.

Any sport I touch ends up badly. I know that but taking a calculated risks. Most of the time I win :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”