Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Re: 5/3 steamer recommendations

Postby gozokiteboarding » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:28 pm

I love theCamo Np mission 543. Very stretchy and plenty warm for the winter months.

https://www.npsurf.com/collections/miss ... 7136969755

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby RadDrDuke » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:37 am

Get a Ripcurl Flashbomb and the flashbomb boots and 5/3 3-finger mittens.

You will be super stoked and warm and uninhibited although you will be about $600 poorer.

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:38 am

Another recommendation for NP combat 5/4/3. I have a back zip, but if the front zip is anything remotely like it it should be very good. Like other guys have said most modern wet suits from different companies fit different body styles a bit better. The NP certainly seems to be cut for more muscular guys. Fits me beautifully, except I think they use Nick Jacobsen’s balls to size the crotch. Loads of space down there.

I have used it in cold water in my winter here (High 40F water with mid 50F air) and in the Cape Town summer. Also took it on a several hour river hike in SA during 80F weather and 70F water, did not overheat. No worse for wear after clambering over and sliding down rocks for hours. Seems to have a very wide service range temperature wise.

I do not like the Velcro closure on the back zip, not easy enough to ‘hide’ the cling side of the Velcro to stop it from snagging the inner suit liner when removing or storing the suit. Also the batwing anti-flush panel that goes over your head migrates out of the neck over time. I need to bunch it up to keep it inside the neck. Neither of these deters from the warmth or utility of the suit, but they should be solved on the front zip version.

Seems to have held up well over the past year. The liner near the neck is showing a little pilling from the aforementioned Velcro closure, and the ankle Velcro straps have lost a stitch or two, but I expect the core suit to hold up for quite some time. Outside looks just like the day I took it out of the plastic really.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:47 pm

Mike101 wrote:
Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:02 pm
There's definitely a difference between ordinary surfing and kiting. I think surfers suits allow more shoulder rotation for padling so you get this back for warmth.
This totally. I went from surf suits to kitesurf and the difference was great.

Spend a bit extra for the fleece inner as it is warmer.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:18 pm

I've found the ripcurl flashbomb to be really nice and warm. The boots on the other hand don't stand up to kitesurfing. The sole on the inside wears through at load points at toe. And they flush a lot. Recently replaced the ripcurl 5mm boots with xcel 7mm and they are both more comfortable, warm and flush less at cuff.

Return to “Kitesurfing”