Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12
Has thanked: 0

Re: Advice on Slingshot SST sizing

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:18 pm

robinsonpr wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:05 am
...I currently ride Slingshot Rallys (2014). I am now on a strapless surfboard and although the Rally seems pretty ok for my level and ability I am thinking of selling them and getting wave kites. I'm 75kg. Was thinking of the SST as I already ride Slingshot and like the quality. ... My Rally quiver is 7/9/12. Should I replace these with same sizings...
I'm 10 kg heavier than you. My quiver is
6 RPM, 8 SST, 10 SST, 12 Rally.

I'd keep your 12 Rally for light days. I haven't heard as much about the 12 SST as the other sizes, but I think your Rally will still give you the low end you like. And, when you want those nice gliding jumps it'll be welcomed. That said, you're lighter. 12 SST may be all you need.

All your small kites could be SSTs, in my case, I had the 6M RPM and it doesn't get much use so I kept it.
They didn't have all the small odd numbered sizes when I got on the kites so I didn't have a 7/9/12 option. My only question would be to make sure the jump from 9 SST to 12 Rally isn't too big. I don't like flying my 12 over 20mph... so you have to see how early you can step onto the 9.

robinsonpr
Rare Poster
Gear: Rev 1.5 Quad Stunt kites
Airush 3m Trainer
PL Pepper 1.5m
PL Twister III 3m
Flysurfer Peak 6m, 12m
PL Venom 13m
PL Synergy 15m
Kheo Flyer Landboard
PL Comp XR Buggy
PTW Superbug II
Slingshot Rally 7m, 9m, 12m
Nobile NHP
Nobile XTR
Ocean Rodeo Mako Duke
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby robinsonpr » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:22 pm

You speak a lot of sense Captain! I was considering just switching out my whole quiver but I think a tad hasty not to mention expensive!! As it would happen a used 9m SST has come up for sale so I might try and get that and sell my 9m Rally. I hardly use my 7m Rally so that can wait.

My 12m Rally is a 2014 model. Nice and grunty so yeah maybe just hang onto that for those lighter wind days. Though it does backstall easily which I don't like.

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:45 pm

robinsonpr wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:22 pm
You speak a lot of sense Captain! I was considering just switching out my whole quiver but I think a tad hasty not to mention expensive!! As it would happen a used 9m SST has come up for sale so I might try and get that and sell my 9m Rally. I hardly use my 7m Rally so that can wait.

My 12m Rally is a 2014 model. Nice and grunty so yeah maybe just hang onto that for those lighter wind days. Though it does backstall easily which I don't like.
The SST never backstalls. It sits there patiently waiting for bar input. So you'll like the kites when you try them.
I'm not sure what the winds are like around you, but a 7/9 setup could be awesome for you. Keeping small kites 2M apart seems to always work well. You can go a 3M step to the biggest kite (of the same design). Have fun in any case. I'd jump on those small kites and then decide what to do with your larger kite. Could be an SST, Rally, or the Neo if you want to compare them.

Return to “Kitesurfing”