Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

North Rebel 2018

Forum for kitesurfers
sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: North Rebel 2018

Postby sarc » Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:29 pm

Tested Rebel 2017 9m back-to-back Rebel 2018 7m (on 4 lines). My impressions on 2018 are: more forgiving and better turning, less tendency to backstall, not as excellent depower. I felt less hunting of the window edge compared to 2017, so easier/more comfortable to use.
It was very gusty and I chickened out of kitelooping the 9m, but the 7m was very easy to loop. Not much of a pull, as expected of a Rebel. Very very slight lag on turns due to pulleys is nearly the same as the usual lag of earlier Rebels - I got used to it in 3 minutes and had no problem adjusting my timing for jumps etc.

The 2018 looks very Rebel-like in the air but flies more like a fac-simile of earlier Rebels. It provides similar performance but in slightly different way / different feeling. It fills the same marketing nice as earlier Rebels. It's another great 4-line Kite. Is it a good or bad thing? Dunno. Cheers and good winds to everyone!

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:05 am

I had a chance this weekend to ride the 14m Rebel and the 12m Rebel (both 2018) in about 14 to 16kts. I liked the 14 but I LOVED the 12m. Yes, I am sure that the Rebel can hold down a bunch of power (Toby knows this) but the low end of these kites is insane. I agree with everything mentioned above - it definitely felt forgiving and in some of the more advanced hooked-in tricks it seemed to carry me through with a consistent pull. All said, I have limited experience on previous year Rebels so cannot speak to how it compares. However, my overall impression of the 2018 is that its one of the best-boosting kites I have used in lighter conditions...probably excel in super powered conditions too but will report on this hopefully soon.

Sidebar - I spoke to a guy on the beach who is a die-hard Rebel fan and specifically indicated that "nothing will ever compare to the 2012" but he seemed to like this year's model alot. I'm going to try it more and will report but for now I'd say that this is perfect for anyone looking to go big and minimize their quiver.

Gueroo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Playa del Carmen/Cancun- Cabarete- Puerto Rico
Style: All kinds!
Gear: WH - Tona - Cabrinha - Mystic - WMFG
Brand Affiliation: Tona Life
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Gueroo » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:46 pm

Im surprised alot of people are upset about the loaded 5th coming off, but its completely compatible with the 5th line bar that all the rebel lovers have. If it preforms similar or just as good i dont see the issue! :allbegood:
I would be more upset that in 2018 all bars are sold without a chicken loop and leash!! :lol: How useless!!!!!

sabraxas
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby sabraxas » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:05 pm

Gueroo wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:46 pm
Im surprised alot of people are upset about the loaded 5th coming off, but its completely compatible with the 5th line bar that all the rebel lovers have.
2018 Rebel is compatible but not loaded 5th.
There is a small sensitiviness in people that comes flying Rebels for a decade that is not easy to explain in commanding the kite. Loaded 5th line has special feeling and i love it.

Is Rebel 2018 a great kite?
Sure. But after all these years i still want my loaded 5th line. Thanks North, durability in their kites is not a problem.

lindseym
Frequent Poster

Postby lindseym » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:58 pm

Quick sesh on the 2018 Rebel a few days ago. 14m in about 14/15 kts...a little light but alot of fun. Here's a quick video https://vimeo.com/238280148 of a few tricks during the sesh.

NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Postby NYKiter » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:17 pm

Yup...the 2011 was the sh*ts

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby fat blokes can fly » Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:48 pm

I heard a rumour the 2018 Rebel is more than similar to the Ozone Edge V9 when directly compared.

Can anyone post up a comparison pic?

pikovsg
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Boston, Cape Cod, Outer Banks
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod, Tarifa, Maui, Cabarete, Guadeloupe, Pleasure Bay.
Any session with a BRM Cloud and a hydrofoil.
Style: Soul, Freestyle, Race
Gear: -
Duotone Dice SLS, BRM Clouds, Ozone R1V2
Lift 150, Moses 637
Triton Custom V3 Bat 37", Temavento Sync
Carved Imperator

Postby pikovsg » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:31 am

Flew the Rebel yesterday in Boston.

Pro: Faster than 2016, definitely jumps higher. 9 and 12m just a bit faster. 7m significantly faster. The 9 and 12 are also more stable than 2016/17 in flight and during landing. Fantastic hangtime with pillow plush landings - also better than 2016/17.

Con: That 5 line take-you-by-the-back-of-your-neck-and-throw-you-up feeling is still there, but just a taaaaad less. Maybe the same... Not enough to make it solidly noticeable. It's replaced by a more agile, more solid, better boosting kite. I loved the 2016 9m Rebel, but after flying the new ones sold all 2016 rebels and switched to 2018.

The only real bad thing is with the 7m. The 7 does not give plush landings anymore for some reason - it's faster, boosts huge, but drops you out of the sky on boosts over 35ft. You most certainly need to loop the 7m if boosting over 40. Scary to boost big on the 7m for me right now, hopefully I'll get used to it - coming back to the twintip after year of just foiling.

For those missing the 5 line kite - I was one of you a few weeks ago. The Rebel feel is still totally there. It's better. They didn't turn it into the Switchblade, that's what I was afraid of. :) North did a great job - credit given where it's due.
If I nitpick, the 7m landing is a bit messed up. But it may be a matter of getting used to new timings and moving the smaller kite back and forth when landing.

Curious to the thoughts of the people that got a chance to ride and compare years.

lindseym
Frequent Poster

Postby lindseym » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:23 am

fat blokes can fly wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:48 pm
I heard a rumour the 2018 Rebel is more than similar to the Ozone Edge V9 when directly compared.

Can anyone post up a comparison pic?
Sorry - no picks but I flew the new Edge back to back with the 2018 Rebel and I found the Edge to be a bit too one demential for my taste. If you are into boosting and only boosting then the Edge is perfect. But I like to do alot of surface looping tricks and the Rebel was much better for this kind of stuff...it was more nimble and forgiving. With the Edge I really had to concentrate on dumping the power at the right time but the Rebel just kept an even power distribution through the entire trick. That said, I do think that it probably is possible to get some higher woo stats on the Edge once you get it dialed in but this really goes back to the skill of the rider.

fat blokes can fly
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone Edge 7, 10, 13, 17.
Best Kiteboarding RP 52cm Bar, 22m lines.
Shinn Bronq 136 x 42.
Flyradical S 128cm.

Postby fat blokes can fly » Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:54 am

Good comparison.
Thanks

Return to “Kitesurfing”