Safest Control Bar

Forum for kitesurfers
njrider
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Safest Control Bar

Postby njrider » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:23 am

I'm looking to replace my current abused kiteboard control bar with hopefully something safer. By safer I mean strong lines, good center line untwisting, and simple depower option. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. As a starting point, I'm looking at the 2018 North click bar...

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Style: Yes
Gear: North, Shinn, Zeeko foil
Has thanked: 0

Re: Safest Control Bar

Postby Lokihel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:26 am

Agreed with the Click Bar.

Arguably the best bar out there right now.
Definitely the one with the best untwisting system.
The Iron Heart has proven its reliability as a safety system.

Kitecompany
Rare Poster
Gear: North EVO and Ozone Frenzy
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Postby Kitecompany » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:06 am

Bigger brands,in general, test more, make more prototypes before production so safer.

justkite100
Rare Poster
Gear: ELEVEIGHT WS

Postby justkite100 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:27 am

Ive got 2017 Cabrinha with trimlite. Lines fairly thick, below the bar swivel , most impressive thing is the very easy reloading of the chicken loop quick release.

Also had a go on the Slingshot bars with above the bar depower - really thick lines leading to the bar. really clean and impressed.

Had a go on the North click on a 5 line kite.. very clean bar but think its a love it or hate it system but it work really well. wasn't sure about the rectangular main depower line that the bar runs up and down.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:37 am

Kitecompany wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:06 am
Bigger brands,in general, test more, make more prototypes before production so safer.
Thats why little companies like Cabrihna keep having to put out recalls.

njrider
Frequent Poster

Postby njrider » Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:49 am

From what I can tell Core makes the most expensive bar, does that translate into the safest?

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:36 am

No, it translates to a niche market ;)

FS is pretty bullet proof. Do I like it? No. Replaced everything I wanted to accommodate for my style. So, if you can't do that yourself ...It is really what you think of safest for your environment.

Some might be shocked but I never released a kite when in trouble. I released the most when lazy to fight a kite. That's because I'm riding in only 60-100cm of water. Lazy bum :)

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:49 am

njrider wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:49 am
From what I can tell Core makes the most expensive bar, does that translate into the safest?
You might want to start by defining what does "safest" mean for you. It will also be a good idea to state - what's your riding style?

That Norths' bar is arguably a very nice bar, comes with pretty "safe" features, but is it gonna be just as solid in the long run as your old SS bar? Dunno... Let's just say that I don't see many North team riders using these, especially the hardcore loop-throwers.

The "Pro" Core's bar is pretty slick too, albeit there was an interesting thread around about replacement kite lines, particularly the ones used on the "pro" bar - look it up. And no, these aren't bad lines - but the amounts that Core charges for are quite shameless to say the least. Besides, Core's bar is still a high Y-split.

If you looking for something solid in the long run - SS still is on top of the game with a very solid overall construction and thick lines. LF's new bar isn't asking for any favors either.

Personally I'm running a couple of different years Airush bars, not the best - by far, but these kinda grew on me being very dependable and easy to notice/fix any issues.

Cheers!

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:05 am

^
It is personal, but holding a FS v2 for hours compared to Airush SM4, Best '15, old Cab, Ozone '15, is way way superior. The ergonomics of the bar is just unbelievable for my style.

It is about the whole package. If something is 'safe' but punishing on fingers after hours on water, well, it's a trade off.
Last edited by downunder on Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:05 am

Starsky wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:37 am
Kitecompany wrote:
Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:06 am
Thats why little companies like Cabrihna keep having to put out recalls.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

For me I'd say the regular North Trust Bar since you can get it in a shorter width but is still wide enough to fly 12m kites well and the 2018 has a 4 or 5 line option + the chicken loop swap. The North Click Bar is also up there but since it's heavier and wider than the Trust, for me, that takes it out of the running.
njrider wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:49 am
Nope and twist release = bad
Last edited by NorCalNomad on Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”