Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Re: Eleveight kites

Postby Bartolo » Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:48 pm

WaD4n wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:01 pm
Hey guys, I wanted to ask if there are more reviews/experiences of the Eleveight "RS" kites out there. I´m just about to get my first Kite and I´m really interested in the eleveight product line but there are not that many infos about them.

Maybe somebody else can share his experiences with this kite. :)
Hi,
I have flown the RS this year in sizes 10 and 14m. The kites are very nice and easy to fly. I would say they are superb for starters since they are stable and easy to fly but at the same time they have plenty of potential when you get more experienced.

SaltWaterDog
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Copenhagen, most of Denmark and northern Germany.
Style: Biting off more than I can usually chew.
Gear: XR5, Fusion 3.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SaltWaterDog » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:41 pm

WaD4n wrote:
Hey guys, I wanted to ask if there are more reviews/experiences of the Eleveight "RS" kites out there. I´m just about to get my first Kite and I´m really interested in the eleveight product line but there are not that many infos about them.

Get the RS. A solid kite now in its second iteration and as mentioned already, great for beginners and experienced kiters alike. I really don't understand the need for progression kites anymore (kite schools I understand of course). Not when we've got all-round kites like RS, XR, Rebel, Edge, SB, Rally etc. that are all versatile, totally accessible for beginners and are just as enjoyable for experienced kiters. I still prefer my XR5 over the RS but if you want lighter bar feel and faster turning speed, 3-strut RS is superb. I've ridden the 12 a handful of times and it was great. Very chilled out. Not the same connected feel I get from the XR (5-struts, heavier bar pressure and more grunt) but the RS is agile, predictable, has great range, and quality build. And cheaper! I think Eleveight has found the sweet spot with their product line. Great quality, design, looks and priced perfectly. Last year was their first and I haven't read or heard a single negative comment on any of their products. Wouldn't be surprised if they dominate the market one day.

john a
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freestyle, airstyle, freeride, snowkite
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight

Postby john a » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:26 pm

Faxie wrote:
Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:15 pm
I removed all the ripstop from my kites, so now I have X24. Beat that! At least 20 years ahead of their time now :thumb:

I'd rather see some cold hard data or video's.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Think there is a lot more to it than just the ripstop... Coating among others...
Tie-in themselves say it is stronger and stiffer. They do deliver to most major kite brands so should know these things...
There are some statistics out there on the old 4xrip, with the old coating...

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:49 pm

john a wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:26 pm
Faxie wrote:
I removed all the ripstop from my kites, so now I have X24. Beat that! At least 20 years ahead of their time now :thumb:

Think there is a lot more to it than just the ripstop... Coating among others...
Tie-in themselves say it is stronger and stiffer. They do deliver to most major kite brands so should know these things...
Coating is a very important factor, but somehow I don't think the coating is that different with this cloth. Afaik there's no coating of the yarn before weaving too btw, as how North advertises. Polyester has a low UV resistance, so that's what needs protection mostly. Coating keeps the weave tight too, so improves stretch properties. And the current cloth is all high tenacity polyester if I'm not mistaken.

But I still see Core's, North, Naish, Ozone etc rip to shreads, repairman that I talk to sometimes says he didn't see a decrease in repairs since D2. Truth is the forces acting on the canopy when it's ripping are so big, no ripstop is gonna stop that.

Funny in that regard that there's no single ripstop with smaller segments. Guess you can't market that as well a multiple ripstop... but now we're at quadruple, it's starting to get a bit ridiculous... so what's the next step?

Don't forget that companies like Teijin have to compete with other suppliers too. Of course their new stuff is better.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:05 pm

(IIRC) the newer ripstops take more load before they rip but whereas the older ripstops fabrics tear in straight lines when the new ripstop fabrics do rip they tear in jagged/zigzag lines.
Last edited by iriejohn on Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harppa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Epic spots of the northshores of Finland
Gear: Eleveight kites, Brunotti boards, ION neoprene and Moses hydrofoils
Brand Affiliation: Running a school and importing Eleveight, Brunotti, Peter Lynn, ION, Shark SUP and few others.

Postby harppa » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:03 am

Faxie wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:49 pm
john a wrote:
Faxie wrote:

Coating is a very important factor, but somehow I don't think the coating is that different with this cloth. Afaik there's no coating of the yarn before weaving too btw, as how North advertises. Polyester has a low UV resistance, so that's what needs protection mostly. Coating keeps the weave tight too, so improves stretch properties. And the current cloth is all high tenacity polyester if I'm not mistaken.

But I still see Core's, North, Naish, Ozone etc rip to shreads, repairman that I talk to sometimes says he didn't see a decrease in repairs since D2. Truth is the forces acting on the canopy when it's ripping are so big, no ripstop is gonna stop that.

Funny in that regard that there's no single ripstop with smaller segments. Guess you can't market that as well a multiple ripstop... but now we're at quadruple, it's starting to get a bit ridiculous... so what's the next step?

Don't forget that companies like Teijin have to compete with other suppliers too. Of course their new stuff is better.
Take a look at this discussion about the materials in question (get a cup of coffee and browse thru all the comments). https://facebook.com/groups/17262937247 ... 5713127248
Personal experiences, animations, lab tests and alot of opinions back and forth :) STILL the best thing IMO is how the kite feels after going X4. Sooo much more reactive it makes me giggle 😂

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:16 pm

harppa wrote:
Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:03 am
Faxie wrote:
Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:49 pm
john a wrote:

Take a look at this discussion about the materials in question (get a cup of coffee and browse thru all the comments). https://facebook.com/groups/17262937247 ... 5713127248
Personal experiences, animations, lab tests and alot of opinions back and forth :) STILL the best thing IMO is how the kite feels after going X4. Sooo much more reactive it makes me giggle 😂
You can bet they've changed more than just the fabric. New models of the same kite with the same materials are usually more reactive too.

I don't think North would agree with the Naish graph where 9600 and D2 perform the same. Other that that, it's just some 'haters gonna hate' comments, and Kevin admitting that the biggest difference is the UV resistance and durability of the coating. Sure it will be good material, but it's not like we're entering a new age of kiteboarding or anything. Get a pinhole, crash it hard, it will rip.

Haven't flown Eleveights yet, but have flown quite some Bests. Performance has always been pretty good imo, not the best, certainly not the worst. But I still don't really see a reason to prefer them over another brand unless you were a Best junkie.

bjw
Medium Poster
Gear: Best

Postby bjw » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:50 am

I've been using the WS for a year now and I think it has to be one of the most user friendly wave kites out there. It feels so well balanced and light in the air. It powers when you need it too, yet feels slack when I need it to. Last year's bar was pretty average but it looks better this year. In saying that the lines they use as with the Best are the best I used.

The other thing is it flies up wind noticeably compared to other kites. It's a good advantage. It'll be interesting to try this years.

Varjis
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Kallvik / Laru / Hanko
Favorite Beaches: Yyteri, Siikret
Style: on the water, not under
Gear: Best / Ozone / RRD Blizz
Been thanked: 0

Postby Varjis » Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:35 pm

WaD4n wrote:

I can recommend RS-lineup. I've been kiting now 2 years, started with 15m2 BEST TS and bought used Ozone C4 9m2 along. Used those for 1 year and last year bought the 12m2 Elev8 RS which is superb kite to my skill level and knowledge. Like stated many times in this thread its super stable, easy to handle lot of power in lowend which here in Finland helps a lot and with good bar I can use it up to ~26 knots ( 80kg rider here ). Cannot really tell about build quality at this point as I've had the kite for 1 year. It feels solid and I hope it lasts many years with me.

In short, lets say I feel comfortable riding the RS. I know what it does and when. Hopefully this helps in decision, but for RS, big thumbs up from me.

Barryg101
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Obidos & Brouwersdam
Favorite Beaches: Dahkla
Style: Freestyle , Big Air & Megaloops
Gear: Eleveight FS & Cabrinha FX

Postby Barryg101 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:04 pm

Looking at the 7m rs kite with bar 2019 .. but can't see the prices of these kites around any one have a ball park figure ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”