Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Re: Eleveight kites

Postby alexeyga » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:49 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:41 pm
alexeyga wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:05 pm
naked rope has only one positive side - ease of packing.
If you started out with coated centerlines or had certain kites that did not force you to sheet while turning, then you may think this.

If you started out your depower kiting experience on foil kites like some kiters (and me), you know how sheeting (in or out) on a turn/loop optimizes the kite turn rate vs power. And it can allow you to turn/carve at higher or lower rates according to the desired result. If you only have inflatable experience, or started out on them, you may not have that tool available to you, and the entire concept of sheeting while turning may be somewhat foggy to you.

Ideal sheeting angle is variable (1) according to placement in the window, (2) the apparent wind window as you turn upwind or downwind, and (3) the speed of the wing through the window. All of these factors change throughout the turn and especially with a loop. Having control of "sheeting in" to stall the kite and place it further back in the window allows you to store energy when you do not want to use it, then use it when you do. But sometimes you do not want to sheet fully in at the initiation of the kite turn or downloop. Sometimes there is a gust that you need to compensate for mid jibe, loop, or after a lull while trying to keep the kite in the air (hard turn to save from a Hindenburg). All of these scenearios work only if you know how to sheet the bar while turning, and can use that technique. If you have a PU coated depower line, you cannot sheet (in and out) with the bar fully turned.

A large bar on most kites will allow you to stall one half or at least the tip of the kite so you actually loose power on the initiation of a kiteloop. However, if you have to reduce the turning input of the bar to sheet to another place on the depowerline, you can re-attach flow over that stalled half or tip. This results in increased pull that is typically not desired. It also negates the potential to store the energy of a stall by ending that stall before you are ready and able to use the power.
You are rising a good point, albeit in a somewhat complicated fashion... That being said, you're coming for an extreme, while we're mainly talking about the average. Where I live - I'm mostly drooling about catching some real waves and if I'm lucky, I actually get to stand on my surf a couple days per seasons... so nuances of kite turning in surf with one or another type of bars are really the least of my worries altogether. I'm only there to ride and have fun - and the only bar that has prevented me from doing so to this date - was that piece of rubbish that Epic used to sell.

For the rest, I fly my kites quite aggressively and again - to this date - I haven't noticed any difference between naked or PU-covered bars, besides the rope-induced burns and the wear on the rope.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:16 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:49 pm
That being said, you're coming for an extreme, while we're mainly talking about the average..... I'm only there to ride and have fun - and the only bar that has prevented me from doing so to this date - was that piece of rubbish that Epic used to sell.

....I fly my kites quite aggressively and again - to this date - I haven't noticed any difference between naked or PU-covered bars, besides the rope-induced burns and the wear on the rope.
Good old Epic bars! That brings up some memories. And yes, I may be coming from an extreme with the experience I "lucked" into. And if I have this extra experience over the average kiter, what do I have wrong about what I am doing or what concepts are not complete in my mind?

But that is why we are here. I have learned much on this forum that I did not have right or never even had a concept of.

And if I have presented the explanation of the sheeting while turning in too complicated of a manner, you can teach yourself how to optimize sheeting with a very special kite that I know of. The HQ Apex II through IV models were the best trainer for depower kites that I have ever come across. Not because they are so good, but because they are so bad. If you can fly this kite on land in a trainer kite fashion, or snow kite with it, you will develop the techniques that I am referring to. While gaining a feel for this particular kite, you will start to understand what is happening up there at almost any depower kite - be it inflatable, or foil. But stick to a 5.5m or 3.5m as these kites are not friendly for riding. Should you ever come across me on the Oregon coast and want to give the 3.5m Apex III a try, let me know. I keep it with me for refresher during Spring, Summer, and Fall to help others with and to keep my foil kite skills up since you lose those flying tubies.

And just a note, there are a few foil kites out there that are not good for learning these concepts. The Ozone "Access" is one of the few foils that any kiter, even someone with only tube kite experience, can fly and have no problems with. This kite is not a good choice - because it behaves as well as an inflatable and does not punish you for failing to optimize the sheeting angle.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Faxie » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:56 pm

Faxie wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:11 pm
Not a fan of bars sticking on the PU. Just a handfull of PU bars that don't really stick.

Other than that, I think the only real nice thing on this bar seems to be the QR. The rest isn't bad, but not particularly good either. The barend design looks like it was intended for adjustable width, but skipped in the end.
It seems btw that the rubber/plastic on the barends can be cut away, and then you'll have adjustable width.

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:07 pm

The plastic inserts in the best bars are pretty good with a plain old rope, my GP bars seem to last forever and I never have to replace my depower rope. If they use the same inserts here I expect these depower roaps not to wear either.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:07 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:40 pm
Faxie wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:11 pm
Not a fan of bars sticking on the PU. Just a handfull of PU bars that don't really stick.
My experience with PU-covered bars dates back to first 2006 Ozone Instinct, since I owned and tested quite a bit of bars and the only PU-covered "sticky-one" was doing so because of the flagging line being wrapped around the plastic tubing. Main issue there wasn't the plastic tubing itself, but the hole in the bar being too narrow.

And coming back to question of naked rope vs PU-covered ones, I'd argue that it largely depends a lot on your riding style, surfers riding with a wide grip really don't give a rat's arse, but these who do any amount of tricks with the "rope between fingers" grip - will stand their ground for the PU covering.
That's indeed the biggest problem with most sticking bars; The hole being too narrow. The Ozone and FOne one work pretty good. Cabrinha/BW/North are crap. Bare dyneema is still slicker than a PU tube in all cases.

I don't really agree with any 'wear' arguments... I have seen too many PU covered lines being torn for that... FOnes, Cabrinha's, Ozones... Normal dyneema will last you more than a year easily, even when not waxed.

They don't wrap around the bar that easily, which isn't always a good thing, for instance when your kite is inverted and you want to sort it out by feeding the CL though the powerlines. And they pack up less neatly.

Feel alot better when between you fingers though, true.

It's still a personal preference thing though, and I think manufacturers should offer both options. They can offer different depower systems, so why not different mainpowerline options? The cost won't make the difference.

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Postby windsuks » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:08 pm

This is exactly what Epic now offer...PU or Rope, pull pull or cleat ;-)

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:57 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:16 pm
And yes, I may be coming from an extreme with the experience I "lucked" into. And if I have this extra experience over the average kiter, what do I have wrong about what I am doing or what concepts are not complete in my mind?
Lol, nothing wrong, in fact - only thing I meant to say was that you're like a rocket scientist trying to argue with a bunch of kids who are playing in a sand pit :baby: ... great points, but most riders are just happy to be out there and ride without being that technical. Your experience and your background (surfing using kites that are too small for the conditions and your weight) are waaaay too specific and what works best in your case, isn't necessarily what would be "the best" across the board. Besides - there isn't such thing as "the best", there's only what works best for you. :thumb:

bjw
Medium Poster
Gear: Best

Postby bjw » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:10 pm

Someone mentioned something about waxing the rope? I always use surf wax, but is this correct? I'm not really confident that it does anything.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Faxie » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:47 pm

windsuks wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:08 pm
This is exactly what Epic now offer...PU or Rope, pull pull or cleat ;-)
Ok that's cool :thumb:

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Faxie » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:49 pm

bjw wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:10 pm
Someone mentioned something about waxing the rope? I always use surf wax, but is this correct? I'm not really confident that it does anything.
Tealight wax :thumb:

Return to “Kitesurfing”