Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Ozone Enduro for waves ?

Postby Bartolo » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:18 pm

Are there any people out here that have experience with the Enduro as a wave kite? What do you think of it? Please also tell me what other (wave-) kites you have experience with to compare.

I am interested in a kite that is really suitable for wave-riding and reasonably easy high (aorund 10m) jumping as well.

This year I switched from a Switchblade/Drifter combo to the naish Pivot in my search for a one do it both kite. I do like them very much for the TT jumping part. They are easy to jump and have a easy soft landing most of the time. However I don't think the Pivot is really such a good wavekite, at least not compared to my drifters.

Mostly cross/on shore wind here.

Thanks for you input!

Bartolo
Medium Poster

Re: Ozone Enduro for waves ?

Postby Bartolo » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:00 am

No one?

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby airsurfer » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:15 am

I went from a year and half on pivots 7,9,12,14 to Enduros 7,9,12 14 now mainly on Reos. Enduro works great for waves especially in the smaller sizes it definitely drifts well and has ability to dump power in the wave setting it also turns faster and more direct than the pivot with better range. Pivot is more sheet and go and has better hangtime

Bartolo
Medium Poster

Postby Bartolo » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:36 pm

airsurfer wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:15 am
I went from a year and half on pivots 7,9,12,14 to Enduros 7,9,12 14 now mainly on Reos. Enduro works great for waves especially in the smaller sizes it definitely drifts well and has ability to dump power in the wave setting it also turns faster and more direct than the pivot with better range. Pivot is more sheet and go and has better hangtime
Thanks for your comments. Intersting. You say you are now mainly on Reo's. Why did you go from Enduro to Reo? I guess this implies the Enduro didn 't really satisfy as a wavekite..?

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:09 pm

Reo is by far, my favorite wave kite. Enduro works, but it is not my first choice for waves.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:49 pm

honestly for average wave conditions both Enduro and Reo are great. The Reo is lighter and drifts better if you actually have the conditions to take advantage of it. I went to Reo mainly for hydrofoil because of weight and you can really kill the power on the Reo to ride waves...

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:23 am

I myself have a range of REO's V4 12/9/7/5 ( directionals 5'5 & 5'8 801 kg)

this kite is so easy to fly, you really just can concentrate on the wave and board the kite feels so natural on your bar.

Secondly, the light weight is a great advantage, I used to fly Switch Element V4, great kites too, but due to their heavy weight, you have to keep your kite in controle, once you let go of the bar, it had the tendency to come down towards the water, secondly barpressure is higher and the pressure on the powerlines is higher so you get more backpressure, this is where the Reo excells light barpressure, no powerlines pressure on your harness, , it drifts and keeps floating along with you, I can easely re-adjust my harness while letting go my bar, the reo keeps flyig nicely, fast turning etc..

You can make it complete powerless and surf down the waves, without constantly having to correct it.

It eats gusts ( V4) has a wide range, flies in a very stable way, huge depower over a short throw, and do not think the lightweight is meaning cheap quality, my kites already got some battering .
Again a kite like the SWITCH Element, is a very good kite, but the REO is a few classes better.

I am in no way affiliated with ozone, have always been a great SWITCH ELEMENT V4 fan...but again, I have to admit to my own experience the REO is a few classes higher in handeling and flying, both Swithc Element and Reo are nicely finished kites.

Reo V4 will just change colors around october, so the "old colors" will be priced interesting once the new colors come out, the kite stays the same!

Hope this helps
cheers dude :cool2:
Btw See your from Holland, I am sure www.kitekings can arrange you a a test ( ask for Ingmar, he can forward you to me( Frank) in case he does not have testkites.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:19 am

I have older catalyst and reo. I presume the theory is still the same. Enduro more lift, better alround kite. Reo sacrifices lift and upwind for supreme drift down the line.

I agree with others if you are dedicated to waves and have the conditions then reo is awesome. But if you have average conditions, want a bit of lift on occasions then enduro will be the kite to have.

PS I also have an uno. That also makes an awesome high wind foiling engine.

dwarf
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby dwarf » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:30 am

There are plenty of good alternatives. I use the Ocean Rodeo Prodigy for boosting and in waves. Mate of mine does the same with a bandit.

tommeltot
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: .
Been thanked: 0

Postby tommeltot » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:33 pm

Another vote for Ocean Rodeo's Prodigy kite. I have 7 and 9.5. Lovely, easy to fly straight out of the bag and with superb wind range, top and bottom end. For me with a surf board starting out in the waves it has good drift and upwind ability. I'd like to try their dedicated wave riding kite, The Roam at some point. I hear good things about the other kites mentioned in this thread but have no personal experience of them. If I was purely into wave riding with a kite and frequented good wave locations I would definitely buy a dedicated wave riding kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”