Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Beginner - buy gear or more lessons?

forum for kitesurfers


tomato
Rare Poster
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:51 pm
Gear: this and that
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Beginner - buy gear or more lessons?

Postby tomato » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:35 am

just go dude.

I had instructor for 5 hours for start, how it works, fly kite, safety, body drag etc. And then 2-3 hours for more safety and waterstart, but wind was extremely weak- he gave me to fly 19m kite :) that day it barely counts. After I could go up on my strong side and crash after 5 meters instructor say I could go crashing and progress without him :)
In general, instructor after that only can give you tips how to correct small mistakes, but can't save you from failing. It is about hours on the water and getting better. Self rescue? You would not do it now- you will be doing walk of shame close to the shore anyway.

I remember how it felt- going without instructor- very insecure, but just fly kite a bit, and you'll remember what you were taught. Do no kitesurf alone on the beach. Also find wide space, you'll fail- do no hurt other people. And if you put on helmet- everyone on the beach will know you are new- will keep good distance from you :) I used helmet a lot :) Impact vest with some flotation also nice to have.

Have fun!

ble
Rare Poster
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:01 pm
Kiting since: 2017
Local Beach: Baltic sea
Gear: Cabrinha SB 10, 8
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Beginner - buy gear or more lessons?

Postby ble » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:39 am

Took 6hour individual course and then purchased used 10m kite. First attempts were on more flat water with friend, then started in sea. In 4 months had probably more sessions then some in a year or few, now I am doing rather well in our very harsh conditions..

Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Re: Beginner - buy gear or more lessons?

Postby Matteo V » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:34 am

LFK said - "Don't listen to anyone on here. Don't let someone on the internet tell you what's best for you......"???????????????????????????????????/

User avatar
LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 577
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:55 pm
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Hawaii

Re: Beginner - buy gear or more lessons?

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:26 am

Matteo V wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:34 am
LFK said - "Don't listen to anyone on here. Don't let someone on the internet tell you what's best for you......"???????????????????????????????????/
Yes I was offering him sound advice, telling him to think for himself instead of letting others think for him. That was a very good comment I gave him. Maybe if you weren't so busy trying to nit pick little faults with me, you would see that that is sound advice too.

Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Re: Beginner - buy gear or more lessons?

Postby Matteo V » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:39 am

Your premise is a self-refuting idea. So I am not nitpicking. I am attacking the premise/foundation of your argument.

You would have to exclude yourself from the group "anyone", IF the OP should take your advice on this forum. Rather, if the OP should listen to no one here, why should the OP listen to you.

User avatar
LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 577
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:55 pm
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Hawaii

Re: Beginner - buy gear or more lessons?

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:41 am

Matteo V wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:39 am
Your premise is a self-refuting idea. So I am not nitpicking. I am attacking the premise/foundation of your argument.

You would have to exclude yourself from the group "anyone", IF the OP should take your advice on this forum. Rather, if the OP should listen to no one here, why should the OP listen to you.
Because if the OP was listening to no one here, then he would be taking my advice and thinking for himself. The OP should listen to my wise words, because I'm assuming he is a grown man that knows what's best for himself, he doesn't need the internet to tell him whats best, he needs to start thinking about what's best on his own and go out and do it.

It's time to be a man

Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Re: Beginner - buy gear or more lessons?

Postby Matteo V » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:34 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:41 am

Because if the OP was listening to no one here, then he would be taking my advice and thinking for himself.
If the OP takes your advice, he cannot take your advice as that would go against your advice to listen to "no one" here. LFK, can you comprehend this?


Please answer the above questions before you skip to the below.


By your advice, you should not post here as no one should listen to you. If your premise is true, then this forum does no one any good because all advice is useless. I have proved that your premise is untrue as I have personally learned many things from this forum. I have also read many posters comments, of varying experience levels, that those posters have learned many things here. For me personally learning here, I held many beliefs that I thought true, only to have those beliefs disproved when confronted by contrary evidence presented by other posters here.

The OP is wisely seeking advice on this forum. Most people seeking advice have applied bad advice before and suffered the consequences. Thus I am reasonably sure the OP is cautious enough to sift through the advice for those things that could cause problems at his local launch. But the main reason to seek advice, which I am sure the OP is aware, is to avoid the mistakes made by others at his experience level. I was there once. I avoided many mistakes by asking questions, reading posts, and watching videos, on kiteboarding safety and setup. The OP should too.

User avatar
LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Posts: 577
Joined: Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:55 pm
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Brand Affiliation: None
Location: Hawaii

Re: Beginner - buy gear or more lessons?

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:36 am

Matteo V wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:34 pm
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:41 am

Because if the OP was listening to no one here, then he would be taking my advice and thinking for himself.
If the OP takes your advice, he cannot take your advice as that would go against your advice to listen to "no one" here. LFK, can you comprehend this?


Please answer the above questions before you skip to the below.


By your advice, you should not post here as no one should listen to you. If your premise is true, then this forum does no one any good because all advice is useless. I have proved that your premise is untrue as I have personally learned many things from this forum. I have also read many posters comments, of varying experience levels, that those posters have learned many things here. For me personally learning here, I held many beliefs that I thought true, only to have those beliefs disproved when confronted by contrary evidence presented by other posters here.

The OP is wisely seeking advice on this forum. Most people seeking advice have applied bad advice before and suffered the consequences. Thus I am reasonably sure the OP is cautious enough to sift through the advice for those things that could cause problems at his local launch. But the main reason to seek advice, which I am sure the OP is aware, is to avoid the mistakes made by others at his experience level. I was there once. I avoided many mistakes by asking questions, reading posts, and watching videos, on kiteboarding safety and setup. The OP should too.
I answered the OPs question and told him he should think for himself on this matter. Why? Because it's a stupid question, it's something that no one can answer for him but himself. It would be like asking someone if I "Should get something to eat?" I don't know the answer to that, why don't you tell me??? Same thing here.

Nobody knows the OP or his skill level or his mindset, but yet everyone here is attempting to play the expert kite advice giver and tell him what's best for him.

Matteo V
Frequent Poster
Posts: 247
Joined: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:42 pm
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: US, Iowa/Nebraska/Kansas/Utah/Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Ft. Stevens, North coast of Oregon
Style: Just like school in summertime
Gear: Delta Kites and LF Kitefish QuadMod
Snowboard (Cambered and Rockered)
Foil kites on the snow
Brand Affiliation: NONE F--- the corporate world

Re: Beginner - buy gear or more lessons?

Postby Matteo V » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:22 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:36 am

Why? Because it's a stupid question, it's something that no one can answer for him but himself. It would be like asking someone if I "Should get something to eat?" I don't know the answer to that, why don't you tell me??? Same thing here.
The OP is asking if anyone has "tried the purple berries". See the link below on why you should ask before you try the purple berries. Here is a hint - learning from someone else is better than trying the purple berries yourself (one of the biggest reasons this forum exists).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0kVbXvId3A


LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:36 am
Nobody knows the OP or his skill level or his mindset, but yet everyone here is attempting to play the expert kite advice giver and tell him what's best for him.
LFK - Is it even possible for you to see the irony in that statement when YOU are saying "follow my advice"?

User avatar
Jelle_vw
Medium Poster
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:53 pm
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Zandmotor (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Slufter (Netherlands)
Style: Freeride / Oldskool
Gear: Ozone & Shinn
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Beginner - buy gear or more lessons?

Postby Jelle_vw » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:20 pm

Now that we are 3 pages further I think OP has enough info and it's time to follow the advice from LFK
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:41 am
It's time to be a man
8)

What did you decide to do in the end joco?


Return to “Kitesurfing”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Xtream and 30 guests

cron