jocol
Rare Poster
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Beginner - buy gear or more lessons?

Postby jocol » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:51 pm

Hey,

I finished recently a 5 lesson course (3 lessons in group + 2 private).

Right now I good at controlling the kite, I can waterstart 100% to the left, but still need to improve to the right ( dont ask me why, I dont undertand why is so easy to the left but difficult to the right :lol: is this normal?) Also I need to correct my position a little bit and I am also starting doing transitions.
Still need to improve transitions and start upwind riding to have all the basics.
Something that still happens quite often is falling, need to body drag upwind to get the board, crashing the kite on the water, and of course walk back in the beach to the starting point.
As you can see, I still have a lot to learn. But in my last lesson I noticed that what I was doing there with the instructor, I can do it alone by myself. Of course is good to have someone telling you what I should do and change, and to have someone that makes you feel safer.

So my question is: am I in a point where I can go kite alone and fail a learn a lot by myself, or should I take more lessons to learn and improve?

Thanks

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Re: Beginner - buy gear or more lessons?

Postby or6 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:59 pm

Hi Jocol,

everybody has a 'strong side' and a 'weak side'; that's normal.

If the conditions you kite in are safe, I'd say your ready to go at it alone. Of course, with a friend it's more fun, you get some breaks, etc. If you can bodydrag upwind, relaunch the kite and understand when to 'eject' (activate quick-release), you don't really need lessons, you need hours on the water.

Don't go out alone. If you know another kiter, preferably one with some experience, go out together, so he or she can keep an eye out, and possibly give you some tips...

or6

jocol
Rare Poster
Gear: None
Been thanked: 0

Postby jocol » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:05 pm

By "kite alone" I am mean without instructor. I will go with other friend kiters, maybe not much experienced, but there are others kites where I go.
Yes, thats what I think, I really need a lot of hours in the water, something that I cannot have when taking lessons.

Thanks! ;)

Jelle_vw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 76
Local Beach: Zandmotor (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Slufter (Netherlands)
Style: Freeride / Oldskool
Gear: Ozone & Shinn

Postby Jelle_vw » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:15 pm

5 lessons is more then most of us took.
If you know the basics (especially the safety part) just go and have fun.
Choose a beginner spot and don't be the only one on the water of course.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:39 pm

In my opinion the two most important parts of lessons are:
- Safety - how to flag your kite, how to self-rescue
- The water start and riding short distances phase

Saftey is obvious because the most dangerous time for a kiter is when they've first started and don't have the muscle memory or the knowledge for what to do and can become dangerous quite quickly

The water start phase, because imo this is the most difficult part of kiting - where you have to put the kite and board skills together.

If you've already covered both of those, then you are ready to ride on your own (preferably around other kiters in case something goes wrong) and figure out the rest. It sounds like you are already riding short distances and starting to learn how to change direction, so I think you are in a good place to continue on your own.

If you are struggling for an extended time with anything specific, you can always take another lesson down the road to tune up individual skills.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:48 pm

@ jocol

Here is some homework for Ya to read ; the first one is what the consequences could
be if, you don't grasp what you read in the second link :

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2397201

search.php?keywords=launching+and+landing+dangerous

And don't be afraid to ask questions ; a LOT of them !!!

Bille

Kau pi kite tarifa
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Sal and Holland
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa!
Style: Wave and hooked jumps
Gear: Zian kites
Brand Affiliation: Kiteschool owner using zian kites.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Kau pi kite tarifa » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:09 pm

As an instructor I want to see that students can keep themself AND the other water/beach users safe before I will advise you to practise alone.

This means that your kite should not crash anymore. Even when you make a mistake in your waterstarts or riding. Your kite should stay dry.

You should also be able to control your riding speed and come to a controlled stop. If your speed is not under control yet, then you are a danger to other people on the water...

Obviously a self rescue also needs to be in your skill set.

Jelle_vw
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 76
Local Beach: Zandmotor (Netherlands)
Favorite Beaches: Slufter (Netherlands)
Style: Freeride / Oldskool
Gear: Ozone & Shinn

Postby Jelle_vw » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:29 pm

Kau pi kite tarifa wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:09 pm
Obviously a self rescue also needs to be in your skill set.
I don't agree with this and would not recommend practising it when you are a beginner. I consider floating around your lines trying to roll up your bar and reach your kite as a risk. Could get caught by the lines and the kite could get powered up. Learn the theory but at first choose a safe spot and make sure others are there that can rescue you if needed.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:55 pm

jocol wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:51 pm
Hey,

I finished recently a 5 lesson course (3 lessons in group + 2 private).

Right now I good at controlling the kite, I can waterstart 100% to the left, but still need to improve to the right ( dont ask me why, I dont undertand why is so easy to the left but difficult to the right :lol: is this normal?) Also I need to correct my position a little bit and I am also starting doing transitions.
Still need to improve transitions and start upwind riding to have all the basics.
Something that still happens quite often is falling, need to body drag upwind to get the board, crashing the kite on the water, and of course walk back in the beach to the starting point.
As you can see, I still have a lot to learn. But in my last lesson I noticed that what I was doing there with the instructor, I can do it alone by myself. Of course is good to have someone telling you what I should do and change, and to have someone that makes you feel safer.

So my question is: am I in a point where I can go kite alone and fail a learn a lot by myself, or should I take more lessons to learn and improve?

Thanks
You're ready to buy gear but it's really important not to buy the wrong gear like I did. My first kite was a liquid force 19m assault ! Horrible mistake ! Ask for advice on what you should get and not from someone trying to sell their gear. Go to your local kite spot and see what they're flying. Also buy a free ride kite to start !

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:23 am

You are ok without an instructor if you have "outs" for the things that can go wrong. Some depend on you location and wind direction.

1. Can't go upwind. The "out" would be a downwind beach you can come on to and walk back upwind.

2. Crash and lose board. Be able to body drag upwind to it. If unable, what is your "out"?

etc, etc.

Another option option may be to pay a school (less than a full lesson) to keep an eye on you and help if you get into trouble.

Return to “Kitesurfing”