Been thanked: 0

2018 / 2017 / 2016 kiteboarding boot / binding recommendations

Postby bmcfiv » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:47 pm

Looking for kiteboarding boot binding recommendations. Priorities are:

Durable
Light
Relatively stiff
Closed toe

I have plantar fasciitis, so the straps just don’t work. I am currently using the Ronix One’s. They were good at first, super comfortable, but the laces always get tangled, and they basically fell apart after 25 uses, pitiful. I just started kiteboarding last year, weight 155 lbs, and am 40 years old, this shouldn’t of happened. I primarily kite on Sullivan's Island, Charleston, SC USfkingA.

So I’m looking for closed toe, something light and on the stiffer side. The Hyperlight’s look good b/c if i get in a bind I can walk on something sharp, but would really love all suggestions. Thx for the help!!!

nismo98
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mitchells Bay
Style: boost, wake, surf
Gear: CWB PRIZM Boots on a LF BOB 137 wakeboard.
LF Index Boots on a Nobile 666 142 kiteboard
5m LF envy
8m Best TS
10.5 Best Kahoona
12m OR Razor
14m OR Prodigy
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: 2018 / 2017 / 2016 kiteboarding boot / binding recommendations

Postby nismo98 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:54 pm

bmcfiv wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:47 pm
Looking for kiteboarding boot binding recommendations. Priorities are:

Durable
Light
Relatively stiff
Closed toe

I have plantar fasciitis, so the straps just don’t work. I am currently using the Ronix One’s. They were good at first, super comfortable, but the laces always get tangled, and they basically fell apart after 25 uses, pitiful. I just started kiteboarding last year, weight 155 lbs, and am 40 years old, this shouldn’t of happened. I primarily kite on Sullivan's Island, Charleston, SC USfkingA.

So I’m looking for closed toe, something light and on the stiffer side. The Hyperlight’s look good b/c if i get in a bind I can walk on something sharp, but would really love all suggestions. Thx for the help!!!
I would highly recommend the cwb prizm. The 2016 are on Amazon for under 200 right now and I have the 2013 versions. They have inserts like the Hyperlite and have saved my feet many cuts. I also find these boots easy to get in and out of if worn loose. I have had mine about 2 years and over 100 sessions on them (both wake and kite). I have had friends drag it by the laces/boots to retreieve it for me because I don't use a handle. I beat the crapp out of that board and boots and they have held up better than any others I have owned.

wind chaser
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: California
Style: Free-Surf-Foil
Gear: Slingshot, Best, Duotone

Postby wind chaser » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:25 pm

Worth looking into Cabrinha H3s. Light weight and all Velcro. Little pricey but they seem to hold up well.

bmcfiv
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sullivan's Island / Breach / IOP
Style: a messy freestyle
Gear: Eleveight FS09 / FS12 / RS 14 / CS bar
Zephyr Ozone 17
Xenon Infra 136
Ronix Boots
Mystic X

Postby bmcfiv » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:33 pm

Never heard of CWB, they look good but the picture of the boot doesn't appear to have the side connectors to the board... I'll look into.

Cabrinha H3's look great, I like the low cut and ability to walk in booties. How many sessions will they last? Is the shell durable enough to support buying new liner?

Anybody recommend the Hyperlights or Liquid Force boots?

qbanboy14
Rare Poster
Gear: cabrinha and crazy fly

Postby qbanboy14 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:46 pm

Slingshot Rad... 2015, 2016 or 2017. The only problem is the laces they break after 1-2 years, but you can order new ones. Very stiff for ankle support and can take a beating.

TheJoe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Texas city levee, Galveston, El Jardine and Crystal beach.
Style: Freeride, Foil, Surf, a lil freestyle
Gear: North Reach 7,9,12
Brunotti TT
Moses 633/483
Dwarfcraft Micro

Postby TheJoe » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:15 pm

Light and durable don't mix well in boots. Case in point your Ronix boots. Getting in and out of boots puts the most wear on them followed by catching edges. All so not drying them after each use can cause them to mildew and that makes them deteriorate faster as well.

I ride Hyperlite systems for both kite and cable. This is my best option since when kiting our local spot we have some rocks to go over and stickers on the ground. Cable we just have the stickers but I all so don't need to pair of boots just the bindings. Ronix is going to be your most comfortable boot out there but they fall apart fast. SS, Hyperelite, CWB, Liquid Force are all good choices. I prefer velcro over laces unless it's my systems. But thats a personal preference.

nismo98
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mitchells Bay
Style: boost, wake, surf
Gear: CWB PRIZM Boots on a LF BOB 137 wakeboard.
LF Index Boots on a Nobile 666 142 kiteboard
5m LF envy
8m Best TS
10.5 Best Kahoona
12m OR Razor
14m OR Prodigy

Postby nismo98 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:22 pm

bmcfiv wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:33 pm
Never heard of CWB, they look good but the picture of the boot doesn't appear to have the side connectors to the board... I'll look into.

Cabrinha H3's look great, I like the low cut and ability to walk in booties. How many sessions will they last? Is the shell durable enough to support buying new liner?

Sorry, I forgot to mention they have the weird '8 up' bolt pattern. You can buy a plate to turn them into 6" bolt pattern that all other brands use. I just made my own adapter with aluminum strips and a tap and die kit.

bmcfiv
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Sullivan's Island / Breach / IOP
Style: a messy freestyle
Gear: Eleveight FS09 / FS12 / RS 14 / CS bar
Zephyr Ozone 17
Xenon Infra 136
Ronix Boots
Mystic X

Postby bmcfiv » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:42 am

Awesome, thx for all the replies.

Which hyperlites do you recommend? They seem to make the most structural sense, odd i don't see more of them. The system or system pro? Which boot?

Slingshot rad's look great too. F!

Snapback
Rare Poster
Gear: RPM - Asylum

Postby Snapback » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:41 am

take the low back binding with process boots, the low back you can put on in deep water easily because you can just close the lower ratchet and slip in and then assemble the upper ratchet. with the highbacks i couldnt do that because my feet were to big. with both ratches open its a bit of a pain in deep water to get everything dialed..

Werito
Medium Poster
Gear: kites, boards

Postby Werito » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:59 am

bmcfiv wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:33 pm

Hi,
I use Liquid Force LFK boots (made for kiting). I feel these are actually quite light (way lighter than my SS Shredtowns or other wakeboarding boots I've tried) and durable (still in ok condition after ~ 150 sessions). Also super easy to get in and out.
These are not the stiffest option though. Tried these once in wakeboarding and they felt more like socks... this might be also because of age. Somehow this flexiness doesn't bother in kiteboarding at all.

Return to “Kitesurfing”