Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Very bad experience with Kiteschools so far (advice needed)

Forum for kitesurfers
Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Re: Very bad experience with Kiteschools so far (advice needed)

Postby Do-it » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:31 am

What country are you from?

SirDagworth
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Guincho
Gear: Still a newbro
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby SirDagworth » Fri Sep 01, 2017 10:18 am

Hi all !
Jerome, you hit the nail on the head! Wow, except for the jet-ski part, this was exactly what had happened !!! :)
Toby, tudo bem brother?? :) I am planning to go to Cumbuco in like January 5th - January 20th, do you think the winds are still going since I saw that in February they kind of die down? My wife wants to learn this sport as well and given the excellent experience I made there years ago, I do not want her to suffer the same fate as me here. As for the lady that treated me like this, ok, learned the lesson yesterday. I did ask around now a few guys (other kiters), one of which is kind of a legend in Guincho. Apparently this woman was expelled from Guincho because years ago, she sent new students into the waters with 30 kt winds and accidents happened (from the feedback I got from 4 kiters). Then, apparently the maritime police showed up and after accidents occurred she was never there (took some time off) so the cops that in Portugal take a day to show up (unlike in US where they are there minutes later), the cops started punishing other kite schools that have not even given instruction to new guys on such dangerous wind conditions...Basically, schools got together and expelled her from that beach.
I cannot be more specific because I do not want to give schools a bad name because the community is small, but people confirmed to me now what the deal is. As for the schools, here pretty much all offer courses where it must be paid prior or latest on first day, basically nobody teaches otherwise. I will give it one more shot because at least I got some money back now, so let's see, otherwise I'll just accept the fact that most schools here just want to what other kiters referred to as "IKO level 1 + 2 gold mine". I asked those guys how they learned kiting, they said they learned it among themselves, and of course the schools talk bad of them because they are not IKO certified etc, but so far the two schools I went to I had this bad experiences, so as you all can see, everybody kind of talks bad about everyone and I am caught in the middle. Yeah, will try it once more and then just do it out of the country...Just sad, I live 5 minutes from Guincho beach and each day I watch the guys kite and more and more feel depressed that I will probably take forever to be able to kite next to my own home.
Thx for the replies !

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:05 pm

January can be great it bad or medium. All possible. And all depends on the rain.
If dry good wind if rainy not.
But I assume still ok, but plan with bigger kites than main windy season (expect 10-20 knots instead of 15-25).
But going toward Jericoacoa should give you better winds...like up to 25 knots.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:06 pm

Btw: why not get a private instructor ?
Pay him for some hours per day...no prepayment needed and he is fully yours.

SirDagworth
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Guincho
Gear: Still a newbro

Postby SirDagworth » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:16 pm

I was trying to get private instruction through the two schools. What I will do next is I suppose go to the beach and check out the guys in the water and ask them when they come out if they can instruct. So far I spent a total of 820 Euros and have not even a level 1 or 2 card as one instructor did not return money nor contact me again and since I left the other school for the above mentioned reasons, no card there either :/ Will keep you updated and again, thanks for the feedback !

fredmendes
Rare Poster

Postby fredmendes » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:43 pm

SirDagworth wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:16 pm
I was trying to get private instruction through the two schools.
If you want to get private lessons in the Lisbon area, I would highly recommend you to get in touch with António Albano from ALkite (http://www.alkitesurf.com/sobre-nos/). His contacts (email and mobile) are in the webpage link.

He teaches in Alcochete, which if you don't know is a spot in south margin of the river Tejo, just after the Vasco da Gama bridge. I kite there frequently and see him teaching most often with only 1 student. He is serious and seems to be a very patient instructor, you are guaranteed to learn to ride safely. Unlike other schools you will actually learn and practice to do a self-rescue, which most (all?) other schools don't bother to teach.

It is a bit of a drive if you are coming from Guincho, but you will have great learning conditions there, shallow water and no waves. The only downside of the spot is it doesn't work on low tide, so you will have to keep an eye on the tide charts.

dirtybeach
Rare Poster
Gear: Naish Tomo WMFG

Postby dirtybeach » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:15 pm

I love guincho, but this spot is for very experienced riders in big conditions, and strong intermediates in mellow conditions. I could not believe kiteschools were operating there, it's not a place to learn imo.

I hope the op has better luck in lessons in the future, don't give up !

Just an example of the daily kiteschool carnage we witnessed there.
IMG_2922.JPG

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:49 pm

Breaking your neck kills you...tough shot!

I will never understand instructors who teach on land with anything bigger than a trainer kite. You guys f*** it up for people to enjoy this beautiful sport...heard many stories.

I also suggest to learn in a flat water spot...progression will be much faster!

1 day flat water = 5 days ocean

NATALIA FISCHER
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ceará Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Ceará Brazil
Gear: best

Postby NATALIA FISCHER » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi guys!
I live in Fortaleza and have a travel agency, I know yhe most the realy good instructions.
I,m realy sorry to hear your history. You can report your history to IKO, for sure they will punish the instructor.
If want to come again, send me a whatsapp and I can organize the best kite lessons for you, I have really good recommendations!
My whatsapp: +55 85 99732-0800
Regards
Nati Fischer

socommk23
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Hill head
Favorite Beaches: Brean. Uphill. Pembrey. Hill head. Meon shore
Style: Keeping the kite dry....hopefully
Gear: F.one diablo 15, 11 and 8m . Pansh aurora2 15m. Pansh sprints and firsts and Adams and flux .

Postby socommk23 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:07 pm

Name and shame! Buy your own gear and teach yourself. Fly by them and give them the bird!

Return to “Kitesurfing”