Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

More and more riders on less and less spots?

Forum for kitesurfers
AirConnolly
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Eastern Long Island
Gear: Cabrinha and Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: More and more riders on less and less spots?

Postby AirConnolly » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Crowds are a problem. The best solution is for you to take two weeks off, and then quit...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:50 pm

Around here it is often the opposite, very difficult to avoid being out alone....

Seems there are not getting more riders, on the contrary.

We got loads of spots, and no bans anywhere - so it makes it difficult to find company.

A few spots for beginners and TT riders can have many riders on the best days, but crowded, not really :roll:

I wish there were more riders, as I ride often and alone many days even in really good conditions :wink:

8) PF

kitesurfvoilier
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Leucate - France
Style: Freeride
Gear: Liquid Force - North
Brand Affiliation: Owner of KSV little brand
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby kitesurfvoilier » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:15 pm

Hi there,

Thanks for telling me guys,
AirConnolly, u r right, if possible with a sailboat ! ;)
Peter_Frank, I didn't think it was such situation in Denmark, your spots are probably endless!
Thing is I'm still trying to understand Tautologies (thx for changing your post) and I guess I'm taking to much undeserved place here, sorry mates, also would have like to talk a bit around that because I do sometimes spend all my kiteboarding time thinking of how I'll cross with next ridersss and it's not so much fun.
Anyway, I don't want to bother with my half business questions, because this is what it is and that's it!
Even if always new members to be reach, also "old" ones !
Maybe I should only come with promotional codes :naughty: :-? or a game with kitecleats to be won...?
Will think about it...
C u around, not too often :wink:

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:22 pm

Interesting, in NZ we see less kiters at some spots than 10 years ago, and the average rider age has gone up by at least 10 years, also freestyle is almost completely dead in comparison. Foiling is getting popular but still very niche.

kitesurfvoilier
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Leucate - France
Style: Freeride
Gear: Liquid Force - North
Brand Affiliation: Owner of KSV little brand

Postby kitesurfvoilier » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:17 am

Hi Longwhitecloud,
Thx for telling me, good to know. I didn't think there was any place in the world where there are less and less riders on spots... NZ is the place to be to get peaceful session in natural preserved areas! Here in France, there are definitely more schools and more riders year after year... And also spots which are closed or restricted. Just pity that New Zealand paradise is so far away!

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:56 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:50 pm
Around here it is often the opposite, very difficult to avoid being out alone....
Seems there are not getting more riders, on the contrary.
We got loads of spots, and no bans anywhere - so it makes it difficult to find company.
I wish there were more riders, as I ride often and alone many days even in really good conditions :wink:

8) PF
OK..., you convinced me, so I'm relocating to your spot :D
Only one condition, water temp above 15 C all year around.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:01 pm

Seems that less than hardcore people drop out of the "less than ideal conditions" locations. Lots of those less hardcore people gravitate toward social scenes that seem to concentrate kiters with a more social-kiteboarding mindset at a more comfortable setting (less mm of wetsuit or even avoiding the wetsuit all together).

The real hardcore people sometimes move on to new sports. Some of those have even moved on to hydrofoiling as that is their next challenge. This takes them away from some wave spots. Some just get out of every extreme sport they try as they can find no long term satisfaction in any pursuit.

The above reasons are why you see more and more kiters at ideal locations even though those spots were previously high density locations. Now those spots are extremely over crowded. But at the same time, you see less kiters at the more challenging locations. It is just a natural evolution of this type of sport. And it is very much a parallel to what windsurfing went through - and windsurfing is in it's end stages because of (unfortunately).

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:28 am

Cape Town is definitely getting crowded in the summers, but it is easy to go upwind or downwind from the main launch sites, and most anywhere else in the country you will be lucky to find another kiter.

I would have thought OBX would be busier, but as long as you stay away from kite point, and especially if you ride in the ocean, you can have the place to yourself.

Lake Michigan simply does not have enough kiters to get crowded.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:14 am

Peter. How about Sydwestpynten south of Copenhagen?
I would assume there are more kiters now, no?

You are lucky in Denmark. So many spots. Ocean and flat. Too bad it is so cold. Would be another Egypt or Brazil then 🤗

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:58 pm

Toby wrote:
Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:14 am
Peter. How about Sydwestpynten south of Copenhagen?
I would assume there are more kiters now, no?

You are lucky in Denmark. So many spots. Ocean and flat. Too bad it is so cold. Would be another Egypt or Brazil then 🤗

I have no idea, many years since I rode my TT, and Sydvestpynten is on the "island" - the other part of Denmark, not the mainland ha haa :wink:

Waveboards and hydrofoils are usually the same spots that work perfectly for that, and TT or beginnerspots hardly never work for that....

But at our local TT low water spot I sometimes pass, there are no "crowds", it has been stagnant for many years :naughty:

Cold ? Was out today:

D23.jpg

But you are right, max only 4-6 months where it is sometimes shorts otherwise shorty for me, and need a full wetsuit in late autumn, winter might even be a drysuit, and early spring a suit is needed yes :thumb:

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”