Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

fone bandit on 2017 north trust bar?

Forum for kitesurfers
nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: fone bandit on 2017 north trust bar?

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:05 am

alexeyga wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:35 pm
nothing2seehere wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:09 am
The risk comes from the bridle tuning. Its not simple to design a bridle that will prevent a kite from going into a spin if the QR is released during a turn. Flagging to 2 lines will even out the leading edge pressure and in most cases stop the kite from spinning. If your tow point for the single released line happens to be at/near the axis of turning then the bridle won't stop the kite from turning and the kite will continue to loop in the sky. This can happen anyway to single line flagging kites but the design of the bridle should minimise the chances.

Many manufacturers will say which of their old models work fine on the new bar when they change the bar and which models/years they tested. Best bet would be to find out if F-One retrospectively tested the particular year of kite now they have changed over.

Its a risk I would be happy to take myself - but wouldn't pass on the risk to someone else.

Hmmmm, Imho you're chasing after a black cat in a dark room. Bridle design has absolutely no importance, any kite flagged on either one of the front lines or one of the rear lines - is as safe as it gets. Granted that any kite flagged to a single line will tend to spiral in strong enough winds - being an asymmetrical shape. But it will not loop as in "death-looping", unless it was already death-looping for a really long while before you've manage to release it.
I'm taking my information from this thread here:
viewtopic.php?t=2383683&start=90

Where the North rep talks about North kites and I'm inferring that there might be a similar problem. I'm sure I heard similar regarding Best Kites when their bar changed suggesting care should be taken mixing single and double line flagging.

So are you willing to put your balls on the chopping board and say everything will be fine? The OP may be a strong kiter but the next person who goes looking for this information and finds this thread may not be. I'd rather avoid a situation where someone takes some well intentioned advice without understanding that there may be 'possible' risk involved.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:37 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:05 am

So are you willing to put your balls on the chopping board and say everything will be fine?
Any day! As far as I'm concerned - there's less risk in releasing a Bandit on a single line VS releasing that same Bandit on the stock bar and praying for the damn thing to flip as it supposed to.

Besides, there are so many riders using Bandits with non-stock bars, surely by now we would've heard about any releasing issues. But somehow we only hear about issues with stock bars.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:53 pm

What he said!

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ice101 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:55 am

Any one using a 2017 trust bar on a bandit then? Still look No for so,women's opinion they has.

maffhieu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Les Aresquiers
Gear: North Dice 12m 2016
North Dice 9m 2017
North Dice 7m 2018
North Team Series 2015
Ride Engine Silver Elite 2017
WOO 1.0
WOO 3.0

Postby maffhieu » Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:11 am

I used a 2015 Trust bar on a 2015 Bandit.

The 2017's Trust bar is the same as a 2015 (line length, etc...)
The 2017's Bandit is the same as a 2015 (only different colors) AHAHAH

As i already said, it works just fine but because the North bar lines are the same lengh when sheet in and the F-one is not, you will need to shorten the back lines of the North bar when using it on the Bandit.
Otherwise it's like you are trimed even though you are not ;)

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:09 pm

maffhieu wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:11 am

As i already said, it works just fine but because the North bar lines are the same lengh when sheet in and the F-one is not, you will need to shorten the back lines of the North bar when using it on the Bandit.
I find this lines-shortening thing rather questionable, F-One's bar had equal-length lines since Bandit 3 or 4 if I'm not mistaken - and North had equal lines since forever (again - if I'm not mistaken), so there's something bogus going on with your setup. Is it possible that prior to changing bars you've got so used to your stock F-One bar having over-stretched fronts (or over-shrank rears) that when you switched to the North bar - it just felt way of? How often do you set your lines?

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ice101 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:42 pm

I use an ozone bar currently myself as stated, I have found on both ozone and f-one bars they fly way better and jump higher if you put the kite on the tightest line setting at the bar/kite, so no doubt would have to do the same with a north one.
I think manufacturers don't put enough knots on sometimes to make you buy extra kites quicker rather than get full potential and range out of the one you have? always best to tune it until the lines are tight as possible without it back stalling when you pull the bar in tight and depower strap fully released in my opinion.

maffhieu
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Les Aresquiers
Gear: North Dice 12m 2016
North Dice 9m 2017
North Dice 7m 2018
North Team Series 2015
Ride Engine Silver Elite 2017
WOO 1.0
WOO 3.0

Postby maffhieu » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:12 pm

alexeyga wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:09 pm
maffhieu wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:11 am

I find this lines-shortening thing rather questionable, F-One's bar had equal-length lines since Bandit 3 or 4 if I'm not mistaken - and North had equal lines since forever (again - if I'm not mistaken), so there's something bogus going on with your setup. Is it possible that prior to changing bars you've got so used to your stock F-One bar having over-stretched fronts (or over-shrank rears) that when you switched to the North bar - it just felt way of? How often do you set your lines?

It is possible... :lol:

When fully sheet in, I don't think all lines are the same on the F-one bar or maybe something different with the bridles compared to the North's kites.
I noticed that the ''backlines' on the tips of the kites are way longer on the Bandit. :roll:

Anyway, it worked for me a few times, just needed some tuning :lol: '

Simair
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Zeebrugge
Style: Strapless
Gear: Best Cabo's
Best spacecraft
North whip
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Simair » Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:01 am

Ice101 wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:55 am
Any one using a 2017 trust bar on a bandit then? Still look No for so,women's opinion they has.
Did you try it, the trust on the badit?
I bought myself a 2018 trust bar for my 2016 bandit, for the moment no wind so didn't got thema chance to test it out.

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ice101 » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:44 am

Yes I flew them on trust bar for a while. I thought the trust bar was crap. Sold it and went back to ozone bars. Fly much better with the low v on the ozone. Also Fone state the 10m bandit is reconvened with the 45cm bar. So bought the 45/38 bar for my partner for her 10m. Wi have flown the 10m bandit on the 45cm bar three times. Every time it was twitchy and horrid. Switched to my ozone low v 50cm bar and kite is completely different! Much better behaved and snotty through the power window like the bandit should be. Meg difference. Definitely think their recommendation is wrong on that one. This may be different with the 52cm lynx bar set to the 45cm setting? But the 45 actual bar idoes not work well for the 10 size.

Return to “Kitesurfing”