Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

How to Self Launch Using Your Car

Postby Toby » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:14 pm

How to Self Launch Using Your Car - Courts Council

Here is a quick clip to show you how to self launch using your quick release leash and your car. The same technique can be easily applied to any static object that isn't going to move when you attach a kite to it. This technique also allows you to check your own lines before launch and is a great alternative at secret spots or rock launches when you don't want to rub your leading edge over the ground. No Mates, No Worries!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmBxX44-hmU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmBxX44-hmU

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Re: How to Self Launch Using Your Car

Postby BWD » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:50 pm

just make sure your car is more than one line length away from other cars/people/roads to avoid the possibility of accidental tethered kite slam to innocent victims!
And don't do it if you rig big (like Toby)!

Kykeon
Medium Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: .
Brand Affiliation: $iemens

Postby Kykeon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:27 am

I use the following beach umbrella base when I'm with the family. (Hammering stake)
It stays stable with a big umbrella even in 6BF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j46oM-3HFug

I'm considering to use it for self launch if alone (not done it so far)

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:31 am

Next videos:
- How to pump up your kite using a kite pump
- How to depower your kite using the depower rope
- How to open your kite bag

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:15 pm

sarc wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:31 am
Next videos:
- How to pump up your kite using a kite pump
- How to depower your kite using the depower rope
- How to open your kite bag
Good one :thumb: ...appreciating your sarc-asm !! :D ...here's what to do using your car if at launch & lunchtime there is no wind and you are bored :wink:

coffeeking
Medium Poster
Gear: Waroo 9, Yarga 13.5, F-one Mach1 18.1, FS Speed5 12m
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby coffeeking » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:42 am

You guys must have some serious depower and super stable kites, pretty sure if I tied any of mine to my car in a usable windrange it'd do something stupid and rip the bumper off.

I also really don't like the idea of a solidly tied kite without control, if it swept across the horizon it would do mega damage in impact.

Plus whatever happened to just sanding a tip and self launching?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:59 am

Most never kites ARE super stable indeed...

Depower ability is not that important, as if you are able to walk with a kite, the pull is quite low really when no speed.

For waveriding it is even more significant, as the kites all sit stable and has good depower (the nature of wavekites), besides the fact that smaller kites are used - so here even a dog stake in sand works most often (NOT very solid) :naughty:

Sanding a tip is not possible in many spots (or you have to wear a sandbag with you), and IMO way more risky, compared - you will also get wear on the lower side of the tip from the ground (when rocks like this thread describes) when you shake the sand off.
Folding the tip like we did in the old days, is not good for the kite, and even more risky as it becomes a "spring" loaded bomb ready to go off by itself :rollgrin:

Yes, you might also get slight wear on the tip, when using your car or a stake - but not the same amount nor risk IMO, that it rolls over or even turn wrong like when using sand :roll:

And to those joking with this post - yes when experienced we all know these things, but MANY even those having ridden for some years, did not know this - believe me it is odd but true, many do not know how to selflaunch nor land, not without nor with a stake :wink:

So good to show this option :D

But you are right, some older kite in the bigger sizes in particular, are not that stable standing on the side so a greater risk...

8) PF

nismo98
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Mitchells Bay
Style: boost, wake, surf
Gear: CWB PRIZM Boots on a LF BOB 137 wakeboard.
LF Index Boots on a Nobile 666 142 kiteboard
5m LF envy
8m Best TS
10.5 Best Kahoona
12m OR Razor
14m OR Prodigy
Been thanked: 0

Postby nismo98 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:20 pm

coffeeking wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:42 am
You guys must have some serious depower and super stable kites, pretty sure if I tied any of mine to my car in a usable windrange it'd do something stupid and rip the bumper off.

I also really don't like the idea of a solidly tied kite without control, if it swept across the horizon it would do mega damage in impact.

Plus whatever happened to just sanding a tip and self launching?
Sanding a tip and self launching is not always possible. On 2 of my local beaches I tether launch because there is rocks everywhere and maybe a 5x5 clean spot so dragging will damage the leading edge.

If you are worried about the kite suddenly sweeping while going towards the bar you can hold the upper centre line as you walk back to your bar. If anything goes wrong yank that line and it sits back down. Also using a ground spike as a tether launch is bad news. It can become a projectile if something goes wrong.

For full saftey I attach a spare spreader bar to my rim ( they can take thousands of lbs of pressure) and a leash from the saftey to another spoke on the rim so if chicken loop effs up it flags to the Centre line. I have launched my 14m in 20 Knotts using this method. If it's so gusty that the kite shoots forward and falls back 2 water bottle where the strut meets the Lei which roll off when launched.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:40 am

I thought this thread was going to show how to self launch a kite with a moving car, sorely disappointed.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.

Postby Teabageppo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:03 am

Tom Court sounds like a complete douche. I wonder if he is. Tethering from your car, wow such useful info?

Return to “Kitesurfing”