Medium Poster
Gear: North Evo 2016
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha FX vs switchblade- for oldschool style

Postby shutupjoy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:14 am

Hello kiters.
Im weight 67kg and doing oldscool- back kiteloop, front, darkslide and hanplant, etc...
1. Wich kite is better for my goals? Fx has better loops but switchblade has better airtime. What do I need?
2. Im kitesurfing at 20knots. Weight 67kg. Do I need size 9 or 10 ? Only one kite use.

Thank you professionals!

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Re: Cabrinha FX vs switchblade- for oldschool style

Postby lindseym » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:04 pm

In terms of kite size, go bigger. You want as much canopy above you as possible. If you are kiting 20 then a 10m is perfect. Sure you can use a 9 but it will turn faster and give you less float. I would even say to get an 11 if you can. Many of these all around kites now have incredible range and you might as well take advantage of that by getting something bigger.

If it were me I would do the Switchblade. The FX is a cool kite for megalooping and freestyle, but if your goal is to stay hooked in and have more float then you will definitely want the switchblade. I have tried several different versions (years) of the FX and never really liked it. It was interesting to me that Nick J. used a Switchblade to win King of the Air but Cabrinha marketed him as the FX guy - definitely a testament to the capabilities of this kite.

Final word of advice, if you can demo all the kites that are available to you. You might be surprised. I've hopped on smaller brands before and been completely shocked with their performance. Don't get sucked into the marketing ploy. Go out and hit all your tricks. The kite that enables you to do the most tricks (and better) is the one for you. It would be really cool if someone could do a "blind taste test" where they lined up about 10 different freeride kites and let people try them out and then rank them accordingly. I think the results may surprise some people. Good luck and keep us posted with what you choose.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:35 pm

I agree with lindseym. For your chosen style, the Switchblade is the better choice of the two you've mentioned, and bigger is better. I also agree that you should demo as many kites as possible. If you really want to focus on "old school" riding, there are other kites and, possibly, larger sizes that you'd probably like better than the ones you've identified in your post.

shutupjoy
Medium Poster

Postby shutupjoy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:50 pm

Thank you guys! Yeah its true, bigger kite and more slowly kite is the ideal but when I tried to finish tricks like handplant with a loop at the end, with the switchblade i have got a lot of power! With the fx it was more jentle.
On the paper, switchblade is the chosen by most riders doing old-school.
I think i would try them one more time befor making a decision...

lindseym
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tampa
Favorite Beaches: Islamorada
Style: airstyle, oldschool, freeride
Gear: Rebel 15, 12, 9
Brand Affiliation: Duotone

Postby lindseym » Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:09 pm

shutupjoy wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:50 pm
but when I tried to finish tricks like handplant with a loop at the end, with the switchblade i have got a lot of power! With the fx it was more jentle.
So - this is something that I too struggled with when I was learning surface looping tricks (darkslides, hand drags, and such). I would execute the trick fine and then at the end get jolted that that surge of power. This was especially the case with older model switchblades (2011 prior). The mistake I made was to fight it by pulling as hard as possible. This is a total rookie error and ultimately contributed to some minor elbow tendonitis. Instead, you want to very very lightly sheet out...by millitmeters...to keep the kite in that sweet spot zone of power. If it continues to build more power, let's say at the midpoint in the loop, simply sheet out further and then pull the bar in at the very end to finish the loop. I hope this makes sense. Text is a horrible format to explain this stuff but the summit points are this:
- For kites that deliver a surge out power during or after the loop you want to progressively sheet out just a tad and then pull in to finish the loop
- Execute the loop later, at the very edge of the window. The more powered you are the later the loop. The less powered your are the sooner the loop.

Take it from me, its always better to improve your technique and get a kite that is best suited for the style you want as opposed to getting a kite that may only compliment a portion of your riding style. Now, all said, keep in mind that there are other kites out there that are exactly what you are looking for that do not deliver a huge surge of power at the end of the loop. The power is more evenly distributed. The Roca for example has a very consist pull (yes, I am a team rider for Best so I am biased). You may also try the Rebel. It has a very consistent and is perfect for your needs.

shutupjoy
Medium Poster

Postby shutupjoy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:58 pm

Thank you for the explaination..
In my beginning I did those errors you just said. I was pulled the kite to loop too early and the kite was enter to the power zone.
After a while I was learning how to move the kite jently to the other side and when it reach to the end of the wind window I was pulled the bar hard to finish with a kiteloop. With the Switchblade I was struggled. The slide and all the move was great (because the huge airtime of this kite) untill the end of the slide. Untile the part of the loop.
Maybe Im a type of a jentle kite like the fx 😂 who knows...
I will try them again before making a choise.
And sorry about my English I wish you understand me.

huge
Medium Poster

Postby huge » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:53 am

2018 fx has nice hangtime and has a lighter feeling than the sb. The 10m is awsome I just received mine and had a fun session in 15 knots, I weight 185 lbs and was surprisef by the nice hangtime compared to my 10m fx of 2016. I still have a sb and i am going fx for all sizes this year, fed up with the lateral pull of the sb and love the feeling of the fx

shutupjoy
Medium Poster

Postby shutupjoy » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:23 am

huge wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:53 am
2018 fx has nice hangtime and has a lighter feeling than the sb. The 10m is awsome I just received mine and had a fun session in 15 knots, I weight 185 lbs and was surprisef by the nice hangtime compared to my 10m fx of 2016. I still have a sb and i am going fx for all sizes this year, fed up with the lateral pull of the sb and love the feeling of the fx
Did you felt the difference between looping a SB and looping a FX? What was more easy for you when you finished a trick?

xoen
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Castelldefels, Mar bella, Riumar
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town
Style: freeride
Gear: Flysurfer Speed Lotus 15m. 2013 Cabrinha Switchblades 7,9,12 m/ Shinnster/Cabrinha Tronic/Sroka Hydrofoil

Postby xoen » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:44 pm

shutupjoy wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:14 am
Hello kiters.
Im weight 67kg and doing oldscool- back kiteloop, front, darkslide and hanplant, etc...
1. Wich kite is better for my goals? Fx has better loops but switchblade has better airtime. What do I need?
2. Im kitesurfing at 20knots. Weight 67kg. Do I need size 9 or 10 ? Only one kite use.

Thank you professionals!
Hello,

My opinion might help you. I am 68 kg, and I am mostly into hooked riding (jumps, rolls and slides with or without loop). I currently have a Switchblade 2013 quiver (12,9,7m); I also own a 11m m 2016 Best Roca, which I bought based on Lindseym s Review (amongst others). I have to say I Iike my switchblades, good hangtime, and good overall performance, but I have always had a big problem looping them. Loops are powerful, and imprecise (for me at least). I I do not loop the kite without much line tension, the loop will pull like a truck, so much that I either crash, or crash the kite (I cannot close the loop). For me, the way to close the loop is either loop it late, at the edge of the window, or going a little bit in direction of the kite to release tension, and grabbing also the bar end (the horn), to try to make it pivot more. Although it kind of works, in high winds, it becomes kind of not repeatable. Lack of skill I guess.

On the other hand, I own the a Best roca 11m, and find I can do tight and powerless loops if I want to, even in strong winds…this helps in trying tricks with loops , makes you want to try things. Besides they have more hangtime. my advice for you would be to test. A roca, or the similar Eleveight one (RS i believe), or may be aven an EVo...

shutupjoy
Medium Poster

Postby shutupjoy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:47 am

xoen wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:44 pm
shutupjoy wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:14 am
Hello kiters.

Thank you professionals!
Hello,

My opinion might help you. I am 68 kg, and I am mostly into hooked riding (jumps, rolls and slides with or without loop). I currently have a Switchblade 2013 quiver (12,9,7m); I also own a 11m m 2016 Best Roca, which I bought based on Lindseym s Review (amongst others). I have to say I Iike my switchblades, good hangtime, and good overall performance, but I have always had a big problem looping them. Loops are powerful, and imprecise (for me at least). I I do not loop the kite without much line tension, the loop will pull like a truck, so much that I either crash, or crash the kite (I cannot close the loop). For me, the way to close the loop is either loop it late, at the edge of the window, or going a little bit in direction of the kite to release tension, and grabbing also the bar end (the horn), to try to make it pivot more. Although it kind of works, in high winds, it becomes kind of not repeatable. Lack of skill I guess.

On the other hand, I own the a Best roca 11m, and find I can do tight and powerless loops if I want to, even in strong winds…this helps in trying tricks with loops , makes you want to try things. Besides they have more hangtime. my advice for you would be to test. A roca, or the similar Eleveight one (RS i believe), or may be aven an EVo...
Yes you right, I did a test riding on Switchblade and Evo. Looping with them is really bad and feels like driving a truck. Looping too early and you got punished.
However, I tried also Cabrinha FX (same as Dice and your roca..) and its a new world. Finish tricks with loop at the end comes easier! love it, and I bought FX 9m.
Now I need some wind to open it for the first time :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”