Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: WOO gen1 vs gen2 accuracy

Postby fogmeister » Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:38 am

we have done over 200,000 jumps in our group on woo.......and can tell you they are accurate enough. if your jumping a bunch of teens per session at first, then evntually 20's then 30's......i can guarantee you are improving and woo is getting it right......the best jumpers here can do 100"s of thirty and forty and 50 footers........the woo cant lie when you are duplicating your jumps over and over. But if you can only jump 20 feet day and day out and then a 50 shows up.......well you can comfortably chalk that one up to a hiccup....your not that good until you can at least have a body of work in your sessions that have numerous similar height jumps. Also a common range of your biggest jump over multiple woos could be for example woo1 36.6 woo2 37.4 woo 3 35.5............something like that would not be unusual, if that really bothers you that not all woos can show identical numbers....then you prob shouldnt get one. But you can be assured you actually jumped around 36 feet give or take......and thats good enough for us. having said that i have also seen multiple woos run on a board and deviate by less than half a foot. woo1 vs woo2........woo2 def. registers smaller jumps and can pick some up that woo 1 missed. Overall seems woo2 is more cosistent between woos with less variance than woo1 used to have.

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:30 am

kjorn wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:26 pm
How come the woo, piq and xsensor all show the same height?

You say these devices dont work, when just using one shows that they do work. I dont understand what point you are trying to make. You wish they didnt work? You dont believe they work?

How do you think VR and AR work using phones as screens? Sub-millimeter tracking in a 3d space. Using all the sensors you seem to think dont work.
They don't show the same height. Woo1 users were complaining Xensr giving higher readings. Now Woo2 is giving different readings (closer to Xensr I believe)..

The point I was saying that verifying algorithm to detect height is just not tossing IMU airborne against tape measure like you suggested. Because for the reasons I mentioned. If you develop freefall IMU you get a freefall IMU which is unable to approximate kiteboarding jumps. For example Recon Instruments' hud is a freefall device and it cannot detect my snowkite jumps nevertheless how high I jump.

Augmented reality relies heavily on camera tracking. Look at Blender AR videos already years back where CG is on top of normal video (non-IMU) camera footage. IMU-sensors of course can be used to aid camera tracking but AR is not based on IMU. Consumer VR (Gear VR, Rift) is more based on gyroscopes although accelerometer can be used to detect "initial" orientation. Some VR devices use cameras and beacons as well where you also need to capture movement. But in the end AR & VR proves nothing about kiteboarding IMU.

Then you put "sensors don't work" into my mouth. I never said sensors not working. Only thing about sensors I said was the noise which is normal on analog-to-digital devices. But if noise has "bias" the device needs to cancel it. Also sensors have different accuracies, some are accurate enough for mobile phones, some are accurate enough for IMU device and some are accurate enough for space rockets and ballistic missiles.

What I said was the algorithms inside the device. With kiteboarding device you need totally different algorithms to freefall device. And you cannot simplify it to calibrate your device height with tossing device against tape measure. You need to verify that device does correct in flat water, chop and waves. Accelerometer is constantly pounded, gyroscope rotated and from this environment you need to detect significant upwards speed to detect jump (because you cannot detect jump from 0g MEMS accelerometer is giving on freefall).
I had 1 hour session and Woo1 shows 27 jumps and Woo 2 77 jumps.
On the highest jump Woo1 7,9 m and Woo2 8,7 m .
Seems like Woo 2 process and record all data faster and more exact while Woo 1 kind of rounding up everything .
And this proves my point also between Woo1 and Woo2. Same company providing solution for kiteboarding height measuring and they are 10% off from each other which is not "sub-millimeter accuracy you state". Both devices could use same knowhow and software algorithm (sw upgrade to Woo1 to Woo2 level), but Woo was forced to upgrade hardware? Better sensors? Faster CPU? More memory? Bigger battery? Better waterproofing? Or all mentioned?

Then what is verifying that Woo2 8.7m is correct? That's why I like to call it "woo-meters".

Lanc
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kite Beach, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Paje, Zanzibar
Green Island, Antigua
Low Bay, Barbuda
Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro

Postby Lanc » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:02 pm

I tested two woo 2.0's on the same board this weekend. I was rather surprised at how different the readings would be, up to 2.9m(23%) difference for the same jump.

The setup:

Test session 1

Test session 2
Attachments
DualWooMount.jpg
DualWooTest_2.jpg
DualWooTest_1.jpg

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:22 am

We test 2woo same board too ..and have 3meters different in few jump over 10m High ..too much ..its a toy

H2Oaltitude
Rare Poster
Style: freeride, waves and some foiling
Gear: whatever's on sale...
Been thanked: 0

Postby H2Oaltitude » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:25 am

kiterocky wrote:
Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:22 am
We test 2woo same board too ..and have 3meters different in few jump over 10m High ..too much ..its a toy
Do you get as tired parroting the same thing over and over as we get of hearing you parrot the same thing over and over? please... give it a rest

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:50 am

^
wow, just wow...So basically u saying if not with us, shut up forever? Nice man.

Put it this way, I boost high, higher than the most. But punished with woo1 by the accuracy, so everyone with woo2 is higher on the leaderboard. How does it feel?
So I should get a woo2 for another $300? Than what? Woo3? That will be $900. For what? Parroting on the FB?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:30 am

23% wow... What utter sh1te when it comes to accuracy. I thought at least if u and a friend were using same device then there was a level laying field creating some fun at least... #fail.

I filmed and time synced a woo a while back.. was like a random number generator app lol

wrogu
Frequent Poster

Postby wrogu » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:31 am

I do not think it is a bad accuracy.

Would be great if somebody could test it for other devices too - PIQ for instance.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:26 am

Lanc wrote:
Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:02 pm
I tested two woo 2.0's on the same board this weekend. I was rather surprised at how different the readings would be, up to 2.9m(23%) difference for the same jump.

The setup:
Was it consistently one position on the board that was higher? Was the one in the centre higher or the other one (it looks like the higher jumps were registered on the Lance profile to me so wondering where this sensor was mounted)

kiterocky
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montpellier
Gear: Wipika
Brand Affiliation: Wipika

Postby kiterocky » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:28 am

Since now there is not an accuracy test...external demo of the mesure...no one test if is real ...no parrot its simple a toy...i dont care if 100woo mesure the same...u have to demostrate its right with scientific method or still a toy...thats it

Return to “Kitesurfing”