Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Damaged ribs = Seat harness....help

Forum for kitesurfers
toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Damaged ribs = Seat harness....help

Postby toyletbowl » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:42 pm

I damaged some ribs about a month ago on a back roll kite loop gone bad on a foil and have resorted to using a seat harness to get me back on the water.

I don't like seat harnesses, but it get's me on the water, so I have to use it.

My question is this. How do you keep it from giving you a major wedgie while riding? It's fine while just riding and foiling, but when jumping, it just cramms up my crack and the family jewels. Super annoying.

I have it adjusted very tight, so any movement or creeping makes it uncomfortable.

Any suggestions or is it just part of the equation?

BTW.....I'm a dealer, but much prefer RE hard shells, but the ribs are still sore. It's a Dakine Fusion.

hongchew
Medium Poster
Gear: airush
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Damaged ribs = Seat harness....help

Postby hongchew » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:15 pm

I leave the leg straps on my seat harness unfastened, so it won't try to break my balls. Works for me

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:16 pm

I use seat harnesses all the time. The few times I did give the waist harnesses a go(windsurfing, kiting, and kitewing), I hated them.

Some of your ride up may be caused by body position. - try to sit in the harness! You do not look as cool, but it lowers your center of gravity and lets the "seat" part of the harness do its work. Super tight is not necessarily a good thing on the leg bands.

Or try another harness. Being a dealer, you should have a Vega or two on hand. That is what I use exclusively now. I only liked the high back support on windsurfing seat harnesses for leaning back against the boom with slalom sized sails.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:25 pm

hongchew wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:15 pm
I leave the leg straps on my seat harness unfastened, so it won't try to break my balls. Works for me
It's funny, whenever I'm getting a wedgie I find that tightening the leg straps down helps hold the harness against my butt/tailbone area instead of letting it creep up into my manparts.

I think this is just part of the joys of riding a seat harness, hence why you don't see anyone at KoTA riding one :lol:

There's a frequent poster on here who is also a dealer (don't want to put words in his mouth) that recommended the Neil Pryde Gravity to me as a good choice for a comfortable seat harness.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Sep 27, 2017 3:40 pm

My seats have never been a problem, super comfy , can ride for hours. I think what someone else said about posture could be true. Also you may be trying to wear it to high on your body, its going to be lower than a waist harness, so push it down more on your hips.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:08 pm

Switch to the shorts version instead of the seat harness. Gets the hook a bit higher also which is closer to the waist feel.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com

Postby toyletbowl » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:27 pm

it's 100% not posture, but thanks for the input.

When jumping, it slowly creeps up jump after jump, so posture is out of the equation.

I think trying some other brands might be the trick and I'll try keeping the straps loose.

Matth.....are you jumping with yours?

Matteo....who makes the Vega?

Thanks.....Bob

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:36 pm

toyletbowl wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:27 pm
it's 100% not posture, but thanks for the input.

When jumping, it slowly creeps up jump after jump, so posture is out of the equation.

I think trying some other brands might be the trick and I'll try keeping the straps loose.

Matth.....are you jumping with yours?

Matteo....who makes the Vega?

Thanks.....Bob
Yes I jump with mine( sadly only about 25 feet)
Most of my friends who are regulars on the North America woo leaderboards wear either seats or board shorts. harnesses...Dylan, Dani, kiterMike , Brian A. There also in their forties , fifties, and sixtys and prefer function over fashion :lol: :lol: :lol:

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:26 pm

Have had wedgies with other seat harnesses but never with the ION Echo which I now use. You'll find one that works, just got to try them.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:45 pm

Same for me, riding seat harness all the time with huge power. No problems at all with my balls.

Guess it's your harness, try different ones.

Return to “Kitesurfing”