Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Slingshot bar corrosion

Forum for kitesurfers
JaZone
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Slingshot bar corrosion

Postby JaZone » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:04 pm

I have a 2017 slingshot compstick bar , and I was checking my gear yesterday and found a lot of corrosion around the quick release and the clam cleat.

I rinse my gear religiously after each session , so I was shocked to find the amount of corrosion which I did. The bar was brand new as of April , this year.

Anyone else have this experience with their slingshot bars?
What do you do to prevent it?
I don't want to have to take the thing apart and lube it after each session to keep it from being eaten by the salt water.

I have seen the corrosion before on these bars, but this is the first one I have owned personally.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Re: Slingshot bar corrosion

Postby iriejohn » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:00 pm

Yes, I have.

1. The clamcleat magnet rusts around the edges - I just dug mine out, cleaned it up, then glued it back in with a modified silane polymer adhesive. Problem gone.

2. I returned my 2016 Compstick Sentinel QR because the CL was rusting and was sent a new one which never rusted. It's a warranty issue.

But I've since got rid of the QR/CL assembly and use something else because I never unhook.

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Re: Slingshot bar corrosion

Postby pj sofine » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:28 am

I've got 4 bars,2011 up to 2015,no problems so far.Except for the non functioning swivel :o

Return to “Kitesurfing”