doh!
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1901
Style: Fun fun fun
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Calling all fatties!

Postby doh! » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:33 am

Surely there are some fellow heavy weights on here..

I'm currently sitting at about 125kg (275lb), however normally sit around the 100kg (220lb) mark.

I'm finding I'm unhooking more and more now. Only the basic stuff, but we all have aspirations. So I'm chasing a board with a little more pop then my OG shinn.

But I'm struggling with sizing and all the guys I talk to are 70-80kg (154lb-176lb) wringing wet.

Couple of stats. Current quiver is 17/12/9/7. Winds generally average around the 15 to 20 knot with some stronger days thrown in for good measure. My local is super super shallow, so running finless has piqued my interest. Currently strapped but would like the board to be able to take boots at some stage.

Any suggestions on boards? And most importantly what sort of sizes should I be looking at.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Re: Calling all fatties!

Postby tautologies » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:32 am

Finless is super fun.
I get the problem..I would personally look for the stiffest board you could find. Personally I like to go powered so I tend to go with small boards, but if you are getting in to unhooked you might want something bigger.
I'd take a look at the naish monarch. It has channels as well so even if you take off the fins you will have control.

Note it us a bit harder to land finless. Also if it that shallow you should really be careful with your tricks.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:47 am

Agreed. Be very careful in shallow water specially with your weight. You can break your neck easily. And the bones very easily!

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: CrazyFly, Cabrinha, Concept X Ruler Split.

Postby badgb21 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:25 am

I'm 118Kg 6'3" - yeah muscle right!
I just got one of these:
http://www.adventurekiteboarding.com/ca ... cm-60-off/

Used it yesterday 25knts and 11m and was one of my best sessions of the year.
Doesn't feel that small under foot, pops and stonks up wind.
Overall very impressed.

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:23 pm

Why not just lose weight instead of trying to find workarounds for your unhealthy lifestyle?

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:13 pm

Screw the board, you need one of these

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Local Beach: Eastern Solent
Style: None
Gear: This 'n that

Postby iriejohn » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:14 pm

This works best.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:37 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:13 pm

Oh I get it -- everyone at your beach thinks you're a swell guy cos you're too much of a little pussy to mouth off to people's faces like you do in here.

Onya.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:58 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:37 pm
LetsFlyaKite wrote:

Oh I get it -- everyone at your beach thinks you're a swell guy cos you're too much of a little pussy to mouth off to people's faces like you do in here.

Onya.
No I'm very blunt with everyone on the beach too, but the difference between them and people on this board is that they know what's behind it. When I am blunt with people on here, they think I'm a hater, but there is a reason I am so blunt, and that is so they will get their act together and learn something. I am doing this for their own good.

And I know that treadmill comment must have ruffled your feathers :rollgrin:

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Postby jeromeL » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:42 am

Just tried finless for nose slide, and it works on and edge with channel but when landing trick with board flat it's pretty unstable. If it's shallow some 30 to 45mm on a board with rocker should be fine.

A bit of rocker in my new board definitely improved my pop.
As far as size my flattish 135cm fone trax almost compare to 138cm nobile fifty/50 with medium to high rocker. actually the 135 is still faster. So make sure you size up if you increase rocker.
Anyway if you want more pop some medium to high rocker will definitely show some improvement.

Also kite type definitely makes a difference, we often talk about slack for unhooking on C kite, but the way the power builds up when you load your edge, improves your pop significantly, it's hard to explain but when you head downing it slack you unhook, when you load edge power builds up slowly until you pop and release. I guess that's the "pop" of the kite. Same thing when you send it for boosting by the way.

i feel that on my bandit as soon as I get on the edge it starts to pull and don't really feel the power building up, especially when wind is medium to high range. It's more on off.

Just landed my first raley to blind this week in OBX, so stoked ;)
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:58 am
Kamikuza wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:37 pm
LetsFlyaKite wrote:

Onya.
No I'm very blunt with everyone on the beach too, but the difference between them and people on this board is that they know what's behind it. When I am blunt with people on here, they think I'm a hater, but there is a reason I am so blunt, and that is so they will get their act together and learn something. I am doing this for their own good.

And I know that treadmill comment must have ruffled your feathers :rollgrin:
Lol you are definitely blunt, I hope they appreciate your support and get motivated loosing some weight ;)

I don't think you need a treadmill, maybe kiting in 40F to 70F with 2 to 3 hours session should be good enough, often find myself grabbing big breakfast, skipping lunch for session and too tired to grab a full dinner on good days, definitely get bigger calorie deficiency on those days than treadmill.
In most case it's easier to loose weight avoiding gym and just improving food and drinking habit...

Return to “Kitesurfing”