Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone have TSA issues having kite gear in their carry on flying?

forum for kitesurfers

kochease
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hood River
Jones Beach
Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cayman Islands
Jones Beach
Manzanita, Or
Style: Freestyle
Gear: F-One, Blade, Xenon Kiteboards
Brand Affiliation: Shop Owner and PASA kiteboard instructor

Re: Anyone have TSA issues having kite gear in their carry on flying?

Postby kochease » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:06 pm

Why would u want to carry bar and lines on the plane. I mean ure just beggin to be stopped and questioned. I vacum seal kites and put with bar and harness at the bottom of suitcase wrks well
I will be stopped and questioned no matter what I do. I get profiled, questioned, detained, patted down and harrassed every fucking time I fly. EVERY TIME! So thats gonna happen no matter what. I'm just your avg lokin Joe in Line...Maybe my dislike/disgust of TSA oozes off me and they feel it, who knows...

But mostly Its a matter of weight and not paying an over weight fee with my golf bag. I have F-One bars, so they are heavy, solid metal. I have found that I can fit 2 boards, 3 kites and my cloths in the golf bag and be right at 50lbs. So I was hoping to save myself another checked bag fee ($100 total) over 4 different flights.

I always vacuum bag the kites for space savings.

The last time I flew with a kite as my carry on, they had bigger issue with the spreader bar hook than anything else. Logically it should be all fine and its all legal items to carry on the plane but TSA are freaking retards on steroids with an IQ of 40 :angryfire:

Once I add my 3 bars, 2 harnesses, foot pads, wake boots and shortie wetsuit its about 35 pound carry on bag.

skideeppow
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: None, landlocked CO
Favorite Beaches: Maui, Turqs, Hood River for Aug 2016
Gear: Drifters, 2016 7, 9, 12
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby skideeppow » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:40 pm

I flew out or Newport News VA, and they opened up my golf bag and told me, "you are not allow to fly with parachutes in your bags."

I laughed, told them they were kites, showed them a video and was on my way.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:58 pm

TSA, the reason I won't go to the US (+many more reasons). Morons with too much power and too little brains..

Kinda reminds me of the president but hey, that's a whole other discussion.

kochease
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: Hood River
Jones Beach
Oregon Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cayman Islands
Jones Beach
Manzanita, Or
Style: Freestyle
Gear: F-One, Blade, Xenon Kiteboards
Brand Affiliation: Shop Owner and PASA kiteboard instructor

Postby kochease » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:02 pm

by skideeppow » Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:40 pm

I flew out or Newport News VA, and they opened up my golf bag and told me, "you are not allow to fly with parachutes in your bags."

I laughed, told them they were kites, showed them a video and was on my way.
RIGHT!?!?!? Thats why I drive to San Francisco 12 hours 4 times a year instead of a 2 hour flight. Hate dealing with the airlines and most of all TSA.

Maybe I should just pack 2 checked bags and not have to stress it.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:14 pm

If you aren't going to the arctic or a lot of formal soirées and tea with the queen, carry your clothes in your carry on, gear in gear bag, and if you need a business suit, wear it.
Except for extra boots and the like it's easy to pack 2 weeks of clothes in a carry on.
Extra bonus: even tsa won't think you're weird if your clothes are in a carry on and your sports gear in a sports bag.

windrider1
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windrider1 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:16 pm

Everything u do online and on your phone and computer is recorded somewhere and the various intelligence agencys use this info to compile list for various purposes including who gets thst extra pat dwn at federal agencys like tsa. There is alot of free electronic info that people put out in their daily life that is compiled sorted and stored . Most times when ure being harased by these federal agencys u have something in your background tht caught their eye .

kochease wrote:
Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:06 pm
Why would u want to carry bar and lines on the plane. I mean ure just beggin to be stopped and questioned. I vacum seal kites and put with bar and harness at the bottom of suitcase wrks well
I will be stopped and questioned no matter what I do. I get profiled, questioned, detained, patted down and harrassed every fucking time I fly. EVERY TIME! So thats gonna happen no matter what. I'm just your avg lokin Joe in Line...Maybe my dislike/disgust of TSA oozes off me and they feel it, who knows...

But mostly Its a matter of weight and not paying an over weight fee with my golf bag. I have F-One bars, so they are heavy, solid metal. I have found that I can fit 2 boards, 3 kites and my cloths in the golf bag and be right at 50lbs. So I was hoping to save myself another checked bag fee ($100 total) over 4 different flights.

I always vacuum bag the kites for space savings.

The last time I flew with a kite as my carry on, they had bigger issue with the spreader bar hook than anything else. Logically it should be all fine and its all legal items to carry on the plane but TSA are freaking retards on steroids with an IQ of 40 :angryfire:

Once I add my 3 bars, 2 harnesses, foot pads, wake boots and shortie wetsuit its about 35 pound carry on bag.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:26 am

Yes and don't accidentally put your pass through the wrong scanner, when flying solo overseas...
And be a male carrying a backpack.
And checking through a coffin bag in the last flight of the year.
On the other hand they do a great job sorting and organizing all the stuff in your wallet.

On domestic flights the main problem is if you have a name they don't like. Or dodgy purchases and phone activity...

Return to “Kitesurfing”