Style: Freeride
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

XR4 or XR5. Big differences ?

Postby reante » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:42 pm

Hello

I am having Some doubts . Are there big differences between these 2 kites .
I can buy an xr4 which is as Good as new or should I buy a new xr5 which I have already tested and I was very impressed of the easy jumping , hangtime and easy handling of the kite . Is this the same in the XR4 ? Or is iT worth to spend more money on the XR 5.

Maybe someone flew them both and can tell me if there are very big differences between the 2 kites.

Kind Regards

Reante

jeromeL
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Longisland NY
Style: freestyle
Gear: Fone Bandit 2014 12m^2, 2015 9, 2015 7, 2015 14
Best GP 2015 9m
Star Sirius V2 12m
Nobile Fity/50 138cm
Naish Apex bindings.
Zeeko Green and White + Shinn El Stubbo

Re: XR4 or XR5. Big differences ?

Postby jeromeL » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:56 pm

checkout this review:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CghqBC6Rbw0

From what they said: if you like XR4 you will like XR5, if you have the money upgrade else you don't need too.

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: It’s MY beach.
Favorite Beaches: Empty ones
Style: Sodomite Stance/Forbidden Footjob
Gear: Your mother aka “My Unholy Armada”
Brand Affiliation: Corporate espionage’s Inspector Clouseau

Postby ChickenD!ken » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:59 pm

I ride XR5 and they are not far off each other but 2 years of added development on the XR4 does show. Both are great for virtually everything apart from unhooking. XR5 boosts crazy good, even better than a Rebel or a Switchblade if you ask me. Definite improvement. With respect to wind range they are about the same but better turning speed on the 5. I’ve done plenty of high powered loops even on my 12m and some dude told me he was pulling megaloops on his 9m. But I guess bow kites are just that good these days. Get the 5 if the extra cash isn’t vital. If not, XR4 is still a great kite.

andrewb44
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco, Prea, Taiba
Style: freestyle
Gear: Core

Postby andrewb44 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:12 pm

Does the XR5 have much more bar pressure than the XR4?

"At the first glance the XR5 feels like it has a medium soft bar pressure and seems willing to go with you wherever you want. But when trying to swing the kite backwards the XR5 starts needs a big amount of effort. Resulting in a quite heavy bar feel."

from http://www.wetestkites.com/2017/08/27/core-xr5-9m/

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:30 am

andrewb44 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:12 pm

"At the first glance the XR5 feels like it has a medium soft bar pressure and seems willing to go with you wherever you want. But when trying to swing the kite backwards the XR5 starts needs a big amount of effort. Resulting in a quite heavy bar feel."

This review annoys me. They miss the fact that the bridle has adjustment settings. Come on. Then they go on for a paragraph half-moaning about it’s non-C-kite characteristics, comparing it to the GTS which is a completely different beast. There’s plenty of praise but it doesn’t strike me as very thorough.

To answer your question (I use XR5 6, 9, 12, 19): it has more but I don’t think it’s a downside. The changes aren’t drastic but jumps are ridiculous. I’ve never gone over landgaps like I do on this kite. Landings are almost a bore, that’s how stable it is. You can tailor it quite a bit to your mood with 3 different bridle and wing tip settings. I disagree completely that it’s only a freeride kite. I do plenty of hooked-in tricks and high powered loops off my jumps. No biggy. If you’re familiar with a Slingshot Rally, the XR5 delivers the same kind of grunt but is far more agile. The kite’s stability combined with the funky canopy shape (when fully sheeted in) can feel like a mouthful the first few tacks. Personally, I like the whole Ben Hur chariot feel. Gives me plenty of work on the board but I’m also 6’3 and 190lbs so I need some pull. Used the 6m in 32 knots (gusting above 40) a week ago and i never felt like I was being taken for a ride. Kite was always there soaking up the gusts. I also don’t know of a faster turning large light wind kite and those who have tried my 19m say the same. Doing a downloop waterstart in 9 knots while depowered is no problem. I’ve got almost nothing bad to say about it. Hasn’t given me a hint of back stall on any size kite. I use the same bar for all my kites and I enjoy the experience equally on all sizes. I’m OCD with my stuff so I don’t mind paying a premium, but I understand those who balk at the price tag. The resale value (at least where I live) combined with what I save is enough to keep upgrading *and* pay child support. Just hope my ex doesn’t visit the forum.. No regrets from me.
Last edited by ChickenD!ken on Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chicken-loop
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 100kg
Style: Wave/Freeride
Gear: 2019 Naish Pivot 8m
2020 Naish Pivot 10m
2021 Naish Boxer 14m
2018 North Nugget 5.3
2021 Duotone Fish SLS 5.5

Postby Chicken-loop » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:12 am

I recently purchased my first Core Kite to replace my 2013 Rebel...a 12m XR5 and initially regretted it as it felt boring, but now I love it and would describe it as extremely refined.

Even though the fella in the video review states that it sits further back in the window, it still sits a lot further forward than most kites.

The material they use in the leading edge is certainly impressive and it feels superior to everything else I have used. Build quality seems good, and now I want a 9m..

Cheers,

Chicken-loop

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:42 pm

ChickenD!ken wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:30 am
andrewb44 wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:12 pm

This review annoys me. They miss the fact that the bridle has adjustment settings. Come on. Then they go on for a paragraph half-moaning about it’s non-C-kite characteristics, comparing it to the GTS which is a completely different beast. There’s plenty of praise but it doesn’t strike me as very thorough.

To answer your question (I use XR5 6, 9, 12, 19): it has more but I don’t think it’s a downside. The changes aren’t drastic but jumps are ridiculous. I’ve never gone over landgaps like I do on this kite. Landings are almost a bore, that’s how stable it is. You can tailor it quite a bit to your mood with 3 different bridle and wing tip settings. I disagree completely that it’s only a freeride kite. I do plenty of hooked-in tricks and high powered loops off my jumps. No biggy. If you’re familiar with a Slingshot Rally, the XR5 delivers the same kind of grunt but is far more agile. The kite’s stability combined with the funky canopy shape (when fully sheeted in) can feel like a mouthful the first few tacks. Personally, I like the whole Ben Hur chariot feel. Gives me plenty of work on the board but I’m also 6’3 and 190lbs so I need some pull. Used the 6m in 32 knots (gusting above 40) a week ago and i never felt like I was being taken for a ride. Kite was always there soaking up the gusts. I also don’t know of a faster turning large light wind kite and those who have tried my 19m say the same. Doing a downloop waterstart in 6 knots while depowered is no problem. I’ve got almost nothing bad to say about it. Hasn’t given me a hint of back stall on any size kite. I use the same bar for all my kites and I enjoy the experience equally on all sizes. I’m OCD with my stuff so I don’t mind paying a premium, but I understand those who balk at the price tag. The resale value (at least where I live) combined with what I save is enough to keep upgrading *and* pay child support. Just hope my ex doesn’t visit the forum.. No regrets from me.
Wow. Just Wow!

ChickenD!ken
Frequent Poster

Postby ChickenD!ken » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:53 pm

iriejohn wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Wow. Just Wow!

Very kind of you. Would appreciate your feedback if you demo or purchase. It is god damn expensive but as the other poster above mentions, the build quality is pretty sweet. Will last ages if it’s treated well, I’m sure.

Cheers.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:04 pm

ChickenD!ken wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:53 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Sat Nov 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Wow. Just Wow!

Very kind of you. Would appreciate your feedback if you demo or purchase. It is god damn expensive but as the other poster above mentions, the build quality is pretty sweet. Will last ages if it’s treated well, I’m sure.

Cheers.

andy00
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core
Shinn

Postby andy00 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:00 pm

I don't really understand why Core gets so much stick on price against other manufacturers...
Ozone Edge is pretty much the same price and the Rebel costs more, these are the top comparable kites.

I just got a 12 and 9 XR5 last month after demoing the XR4 many times.
In my opinion it's the best kite I have ridden. I am early intermediate, only riding hooked in and I like boosting, it jumps super easy and like you read everywhere else super soft landings.

Neither kite will disappoint, if you have the cash go for the XR5 :)

Return to “Kitesurfing”