Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kiteboarding Rules-of-Navigation Video

Postby Matteo V » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:24 pm

Do-it wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:24 am
Haven't watched vids or looked at comments........simple answer=stay upwind of kooks.
Kooks can easily be identified;

Leashes I am kook then as I use a leash (kite, not board), but I think you are talking about board leashes - and I used to think that they were all bad until others presented the case of when a leash is actually useful or needed. Still, I steer kiters at my local spot, that does not require leashes, away from leash use. But again, that is location specific.

Go Joes ( sorry or) I love it when someone is not too self conscious to use these! That takes balls and helps other kiters out as well.l They help the Go Joe user get back to their board quickly so I we can all get back to riding in the spot that they blew it in. Hats off to all Go Joe users! Don't let a-hole self conscious kiters project their insecurities on to you.

Helmets Pretty essential for me in waves. Saved my life 3 times last year from board impacts (LF Kitefishes are really heavy). But no close calls this year. Still I will be using my helmet always when kiting.

Foil kites If you suck with a foil kite, you only use a foil kite for a few sessions. If you are good with one, you are probably as close to pro level as any other kiter out there. The exception to this is if you are still flying the old Peter Lynn "Arcs" - all kiters I have ever heard of that used to use these have moved on from those. Modern foils are the most capable wings in the air. Bet this dredges up Pumpy.

Goggles $1.07 safety glasses with a 1/8th inch bungee cord to keep it on my head. Love em, never gonna be without them.

Sketchy launches from gf Sketchy launch from an experienced launcher is usually better than a self launch. Just make sure they stay safe themselves, and you put your safety a close second.

Twin tips in ocean I can barely even ride a TT anymore. But the best single ride on a wave I ever witnessed was by a guy on a TT with wake boots. The ride he pulled off in front of me was better than what most pro kitesurfers on directionals pull off in youtube videos. Still waiting to see some one replicate that ride on a directional in front of me. I, personally, have little hope of getting to a level where I could replicate it.

Down winders In perfect conditions As an ex-windsurfer, I too am allergic to downwinders. But I highly reccomend them to strapless riders, those with out the skill to easily make it upwind when current is flowing in the same direction as the wind, and for those looking just to simulate surfing. The biggest benefits of downwinders is that you spread out and get waves to yourself, and get to kite all the breaks along the way. Heck, I may even be talking myself into trying a downwinder some time.....once....if my kite is too small......ummmmm......naaaaaa. But have fun and enjoy what ever you are into.

Riding core.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:42 pm

alamos_kiter wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:05 am
C'mon, that's purely academic. In overhead conditions, you make sure your way is free when you're going out.
You obviously don't kite where I kite.

At my good wave/low wind spot, you could do this if the wind does not lull (takes longer to get out than anticipated). If it lulls, you don't beat out that set that would have still been on the outside had you been able to keep your speed up. Thus you get to face a wall that you need to get out of the way of. And here is the kicker - if the guy behind you pushes you into it, you tangle......in the main break......and have to swim in through that break with tangled kites. So for your own good, even if you think the guy in front of you is clear to go out at a consistent wave spot, you should still give him some room and be ready to head back in if he has to.

At my high wind/bad wave spot, the waves are extremely quick and come out of nowhere. It is famous for being a 2 bottom turn wave (if you are really quick). No way could you predict what that 4 ft swell on the outside will do as it comes in. Sometimes that 4 ft swell disappears into 2ft ankle biter. Sometimes it jacks up into a overhead-and-a-half quick closeout. It rarely makes any sense as to what forms up. And, it is the chicken jibe capital of the PNW in bigger conditions. Don't follow anyone out too closely at a location like this. It's bad for you and bad for other riders.
Last edited by Matteo V on Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:55 pm

Do-it wrote:
Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:58 am

Nobody said kite gf.
I said it! But I won't get a kite gf if that means I can't upgrade my kook credentials. Guess I'll have to get a regular gf to kook launch me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”