Local Beach: Miami beach
Gear: North 14 m evo
Best 9.5 m Kahuna
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which Bar?

Postby Newmiamikiter » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:49 pm

A quick question yesterday I tried to use my north click bar on my best 9.5 kahuna and it seemed to be back stalling..Do I need to use a best bar made for that kite? Or what type of adjustment can I make..what is the right bar for that kite?

Kau pi kite tarifa
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa, Sal and Holland
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa!
Style: Wave and hooked jumps
Gear: Zian kites
Brand Affiliation: Kiteschool owner using zian kites.

Re: Which Bar?

Postby Kau pi kite tarifa » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:21 pm

You can stop the backstalling by shortening your middle lines a bit.

The only real problem you can have when using a different bar is the height of the split. Some kites don't react well to a bar with a low or high split. Some other kites are not sensitive about it.

Newmiamikiter
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Miami beach
Gear: North 14 m evo
Best 9.5 m Kahuna
Been thanked: 0

Postby Newmiamikiter » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:55 pm

How do I shorten middle lines on a click bar?

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:56 pm

At the kite. Tie a new knot closer to the kite on the bridle.
Or add a pigtail on the rear lines (assuming they are already all the way :thumb: :bye: out).

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:42 pm

This is bar tuning...

Shorten Middle Lines = Lengthen Outside Lines.
Shorten Outside Lines = Lengthen Inside Lines.

Did you try depowering until you got the kite to fly correctly? The act of depowering is shortening the front lines. Add additional pigtails/line to the outside lines to the same length you depowered the kite. Both the North and OR Click bars have a long throw and decent depower range so small line length tweaks will sort out any issues.

Since it appears you are a new kiter and my apologies if you already know this... The bar depower should be considered a "trim system"... Certainly if you are over powered on a very windy day, you can trim in to manage the power, but on lighter days, its possible you can backstall the kite in lighter winds when you try and pull more power out of the kite and the kite cannot generate the lift/power. In this situation, again, you want to depower or "trim" the kite for the conditions. This is much more apparent for heavier riders.

If you were testing your new bar on a light wind day, you may have needed to depower the kite a little for the conditions.

If you watch some of the racing foiling gybe videos, you will see rider adjust their trim system as the approach different points on the course.
Last edited by foilonfoil on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:47 pm

Assuming there are no design flaws it just sounds like your backlines are too short. :-) Like has been mentioned above...adding a pigtail on the back lines should suffice.

Once you do it, put the kite up and see how it responds.

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:19 pm

I would add: kites fly differently. Some fly more on their front lines & stall easily if they have too much back line tension. Other kites will keep flying with more back line tension. I use Liquid Force NRGs in sizes 12m & 10m - these are very powerful kites that work with a fair amount of back line tension. My smaller kites are Best Cabos - wave kites. They are very sensitive to too much back line tension & will stall easily & so need a quite deft touch to fly efficiently. The compensating factor is that they are very fast & depower easily - good qualities in the waves.

I haven't flown a Kahoona, but I'm guessing that would be more similar to an NRG - 4 struts & pretty grunty, so it should not be over-sensitive to back line tension. If it's stalling easily, most likely the line lengths should be adjusted. The easiest way is to add a pig tail to the back lines.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:12 pm

Newmiamikiter wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:49 pm
A quick question yesterday I tried to use my north click bar on my best 9.5 kahuna and it seemed to be back stalling..Do I need to use a best bar made for that kite? Or what type of adjustment can I make..what is the right bar for that kite?
Not sure if you flown that Kahoona before - the Kahoonas easily oversheet and stall unless in appropriate strong winds for that kite size. You ride Kahoonas sheeted out - that's how they are.

I used Best RP, Cabrinha 1x, LF CPR, Slingshot Compstick bars to ride my Kahoonas and all of these worked just fine. On V7 I connected rear lines to the last knot, on V6 to the second knot. Anyways - fly them sheeted out

dylan*
Very Frequent Poster
Gear:

Postby dylan* » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:23 pm

grigorib wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:12 pm
Newmiamikiter wrote:
Not sure if you flown that Kahoona before - the Kahoonas easily oversheet and stall unless in appropriate strong winds for that kite size. You ride Kahoonas sheeted out - that's how they are.

I used Best RP, Cabrinha 1x, LF CPR, Slingshot Compstick bars to ride my Kahoonas and all of these worked just fine. On V7 I connected rear lines to the last knot, on V6 to the second knot. Anyways - fly them sheeted out
this is the correct answer

easily the worst kite i've ever flown :D

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Nov 13, 2017 10:48 pm

dylan* wrote:
Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:23 pm
grigorib wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:12 pm
Newmiamikiter wrote:

this is the correct answer

easily the worst kite i've ever flown :D
I think Kahoonas are not bad kites. They ride well, they jump well. Not foiling nor lightwind not the lightest kites but pretty good otherwise. Affordable too.
Regardless I paid few hundreds more to keep riding the Rallys

Return to “Kitesurfing”