knot_moving
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Gear: kites: OR Flites & Cabrinha Velocity
Underground FLX 138, Slingshot foil, Mako Duke, Jimmy Lewis Flight Deck
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Eye protection -> tips on cheap and good-ish sunglasses for kiting

Postby knot_moving » Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:00 am

I need cheap RX sunglasses. I use zenni. Big plus is I found surfshades for a strap system that does not come off- have not lost a pair since I bought their straps

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:13 pm

flying grandpa wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:04 am
Considering value for money - Kurtis glasses are cheepest. Geniously simple yet effective antifog ventilation system, polarized, safe elasticity of frame and lenses.
The Duke goggles by Kurtis , are $189 to $219 ; my sport goggles made by Barz optics, are
$129, and
you can get prescription lenses for them. I have never gotten a head-ache with
them and they stay on during some Grand crashes. They come with 3 different type
nose-bridges, to fit a wide variety of different shaped faces. Never had a problem with
fogging. The gasket between the frame and face is removable, and can also be adjusted
to fit your face, or be replaced if needed.
http://www.bossbi.com/boards/barz/barz.php

Are you guys who use the cheap sunglasses "SURE" that they won't cut your eye
out if impacted really hard ; my Barz goggles Will stay intact !!!
My eyes are worth WAY More , than a cheap set of sunglasses .

Bille
Attachments
barz_sport_goggles-250x150.jpg
barz_sport_goggles-250x150.jpg (20.4 KiB) Viewed 2266 times

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:51 am

Bille wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:13 pm
Are you guys who use the cheap sunglasses "SURE" that they won't cut your eye
out if impacted really hard ; my Barz goggles Will stay intact !!!
How can you be "SURE" your Barz googles won't break and hurt you? Safety glasses are made to international standards and have certified performance for breakage and UV protection. Barz make no mention of standards or certification on their web site.

I'm the Barz products work just fine, but there's no reason to expect that they would be better than other products.

I find the actual glasses to be largely irrelevant. Fogging and smearing seems to be a problem with all glasses in the water. I've tried the various waxes and sprays (H2OH8R, RainX etc). They work ... a bit. They're not much more reliable than using dish washing detergent and hot water (which is reasonably reliable, but still not 100%)

So far the Kurtis glasses seem to work the best, mainly because they are in the form of a visor. It's easy to push them up or down if I want to look over the edge when they get grotty (which sort of compromises their ability to block reflected UV).

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:43 am

OzBungy wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:51 am

How can you be "SURE" your Barz googles won't break and hurt you? Safety glasses are made to international standards and have certified performance for breakage and UV protection. Barz make no mention of standards or certification on their web site.

My Bad -- i misunderstood the salesman that sold them to me :( ; I wonder if
he sells used cars, as well . :lol:

When the Barz goggles i have now, wear-out ; i'll give those Kurtis glasses a try.

Bille

Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:41 pm

Here in Australia I lose my sunnies all the time when sailing or kite surfing so I now buy uv wraps from Bunnings. Cost 13 bucks and they are uv protective plus shatterproof.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:05 pm

Having been riding with SeaSpecs knock-offs and then real SeaSpecas - at some point I've got tired and decided to treat myself with a "decent" pair of shades.

First I've got these:
TDF.png
TDF.png (74.58 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
Which proved to be quite nice, although the inner, removable frame tends to get loose with time and fall out just from trying to adjust them on your face... Nevermind having to remove it while cleaning the glass.

Long story short, this model has survived one big trip and then fell appart when I faceplanted while having these dangling on my neck.

I've said "Hmmmm" and got them replaced under warranty. Second pair lasted just a tad longer but eventually suffered the same faith.

I've said "Hmmmm.... Am I expecting too much, especially having experience with Seaspecs which are virtually-unbreakable?" and got them replaced (with a supplement) for a pair of older, but more solid:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (66.69 KiB) Viewed 2014 times
Arguably these have been surviving pretty well and I was a happy camper until, on some Sunday (when all kiteshops are closed) before a flight down South on Monday - I was packing my gear and discovered this:
RSZ_20171126_135107.jpg
RSZ_20171126_135206.jpg
"Well fu@k me!!!!" - said I... and that happened from simply hauling these around in my gear bag.

At the end I found some pompous surf boutique which was open on Sunday and was carrying SeaSpecs, severely overpriced despite "Black Friday" specials... At last! A pair of sub-100$ shades one can count on!!! Again!

As far as I'm concerned - Ocean won't be seeing any of my cash any more.

Speaking of the SeaSpecs - my previous pair got killed by sun since I had a bad habit of leaving them dongling on my car's interior mirror. Very convenient, but the rubber got burned and turned all gummy and sticky... after 2 years!!!

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:11 pm

Design flaws...the temple end pivots over sharp screw threads and eventually eats it's way through
The hole in the temple is too close to the outer edge of temple leaving not enough plastic material for strength
Screw hole in the frame front should have been positioned more outward
It's best to use long screws that only have sharp threads for the last 7mm
This leaves the temple end to pivot over a smooth surface...no wear and tear

Sun
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tybee Island
Favorite Beaches: Cape Town, Cumbuco
Gear: 12m, 10m, 8m Dice SLS
6m Dice (2017)
Reedin Dreamstick X
Reedin Kev Pro 136 board w/ North Straps
Nobile XTR LW board
12m Hyperlink for LW
Mystic MajesticX Hardshell

Postby Sun » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:20 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:11 pm
Design flaws...the temple end pivots over sharp screw threads and eventually eats it's way through
The hole in the temple is too close to the outer edge of temple leaving not enough plastic material for strength
Hilariously, the cheap 3M glasses have screws with a long unthreaded shank that exposes the moving plastic only to a smooth pin; the threads are only on the very end of the screws. Just like you want.

Only issue is that they are not stainless steel, so have started to show some signs of corrosion. Will try to grab a picture later. I am sure that stainless screws might cost as much as the glasses, though. But I would pay twice the price to fix that issue in and of itself. Still ends up cheaper than the Sea Specs.

alexeyga
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 200
Favorite Beaches: Ocean shore!
Style: Freeride dongling
Gear: Eleveight / Shinn / North / Axis / Slingshot / Airush

Postby alexeyga » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:59 pm

PullStrings wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:11 pm

I could probably speculate about what's wrong with these Oceans for a lot longer - starting with the fact that their choice of raw materials is sort of odd - I'd have used something less brittle for plastics.

But if I was looking for something really inexpensive, I'd probably start with a motorbike accessories store way before a hardware store...

A while back - being a smart arse that I am - I had a brilliant idea to try a set of US military glasses - which seemed to make a lot of sense back then: interchangeable lenses, removable strap, etc.. But they proved to fog up like there's no tomorrow. :nono: :nono: :nono:

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:18 pm

Here's something that works on any lenses or coatings to prevent fog.......but who came up with that name !! ....sure gets your attention....meow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouaQRP3ADZQ

Return to “Kitesurfing”