Style: Twintip
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Feedback on Cabrinha's 2018 TrimLite bars

Postby danidr » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:10 pm

Hi!

I'm changing my '16 drifter for a '18 drifter soon as it's quite abused, and was wondering if I should get a '16 bar or '18 bar for it. I normally change my bar every year for peace of mind (and so I have a bar to sell with an older kite), but on 2017 I just bought the 2016 again (TrimLite, fixed). I didn't use the 2017's, but they seemed quite similar to the previous one, as well as with the 2018. Can anybody share their experience with the new ones? Are they worth it or should I go 2016/2017 and save some money?

Thanks in advance!!

Danuco
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Rio de Janeiro
Style: Wave
Gear: Drifter 10m 2018
Bandit 12m 2014
Switchblade 7m 2013
SwitchBlade 6m 2012

Re: Feedback on Cabrinha's 2018 TrimLite bars

Postby Danuco » Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:40 pm

I have bought a 2018 drifter with 2018 fix trimlite bar. I have returned the bar and changed for the 2017 bar. The 2018 is so unconfortable. The hole in middle of the bar is bigger and sharper. So, holding on the middle of the bar with only one hand is not confortable (you grab on sharp hole). The 2017 doesnt have this problem. I also think the format of bar in 2017 is better. I advice you to check both on a kite shop before buy it.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:21 am

Just make sure you have the safety upgrade, that little metal seat on the safety to front line connection. Mine and all the other guys who've not changed them out here have had the front line snap.

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:43 am

How's the build quality on the 2018 Drifter ?, I've been told that they are not as strong as North & other brands - anyone finding this to be true ??

bigwave
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: Foil and Surf.
Gear: Kites: Slingshot UFO
Foil: Armstrong
Boards:Slingshot DC100
Harnesses: Mystic Stealth
Wetsuits: Mystic
Glasses: Lip
Brand Affiliation: silentsports.com

Postby bigwave » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:39 pm

danidr wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:10 pm
Hi!

I'm changing my '16 drifter for a '18 drifter soon as it's quite abused, and was wondering if I should get a '16 bar or '18 bar for it. I normally change my bar every year for peace of mind (and so I have a bar to sell with an older kite), but on 2017 I just bought the 2016 again (TrimLite, fixed). I didn't use the 2017's, but they seemed quite similar to the previous one, as well as with the 2018. Can anybody share their experience with the new ones? Are they worth it or should I go 2016/2017 and save some money?

Thanks in advance!!
I have used the 2018 Cabrinha Trim Lite bars since July. For me ,the best feature is the oval grip which is super comfortable. The centre hole has been made larger to reduce binding when riding toe side. I really never found the 2017 to bind when riding toe side , but Cabrinha felt this would be an area to upgrade. The floats are longer and the adjustment for the rear lines are now in the Floats, no pig tails on the rear lines. The Quick Loop has been slightly redesigned but the function remains the same. Excellent.
Typically , you'll have to decide if the new features are worth the upgrade in price. Most of our customers are buying the 2017 Bar which is a great product. All 2017's should have the upgraded safety .
As for the 2018 Drifter, you will be so impressed ! The kite is rock solid ,faster turning with awesome upwind performance! I definite improvement that you will immediately notice.

:thumb:

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:34 pm

bigwave wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:39 pm
danidr wrote:
Hi!

Thanks in advance!!
I have used the 2018 Cabrinha Trim Lite bars since July. For me ,the best feature is the oval grip which is super comfortable. The centre hole has been made larger to reduce binding when riding toe side. I really never found the 2017 to bind when riding toe side , but Cabrinha felt this would be an area to upgrade. The floats are longer and the adjustment for the rear lines are now in the Floats, no pig tails on the rear lines. The Quick Loop has been slightly redesigned but the function remains the same. Excellent.
Typically , you'll have to decide if the new features are worth the upgrade in price. Most of our customers are buying the 2017 Bar which is a great product. All 2017's should have the upgraded safety .
As for the 2018 Drifter, you will be so impressed ! The kite is rock solid ,faster turning with awesome upwind performance! I definite improvement that you will immediately notice.

Agree on bar, 2018 is a work of art.

danidr
Medium Poster
Style: Twintip
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby danidr » Fri May 04, 2018 4:01 pm

matth wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:34 pm
bigwave wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:39 pm
danidr wrote:
Hi!

Thanks in advance!!

Agree on bar, 2018 is a work of art.
It is, bar is greatest than ever, but the knot on the security flag line still gets stuck real bad. This is the third consecutive year with this problem and I can't believe it's not being addressed. My only guess is that their sponsored team is not flagging out the kite or changing bars constantly so they don't notice this... If it can't be addressed the bar should ship with 2-3 sets of replacements for this part as it WILL wear off and it WILL leave you stranded if it fails. This is not a problem that manifests after 3 years of use, I've seen it happen real quick (20-30 sessions), even less if you pull the security a few times.

Return to “Kitesurfing”