Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Re: broken line causes kite damage

Postby Bille » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:14 am

march_in wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:22 pm
What about this one:
this is a tip of a kite.
I can't see the file ? Inspect element, was no help either .

Bille

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:50 am

pj sofine wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Never heard of a kite self destructing from a line failure.A line breaks,the kite falls from sky.Any damage is caused by what happens after break,not the broken line itself.Any extra stress on remaining lines is inconsequential.
That's not exactly true. I've had a a front line snap in the middle of a jump resulting in a hard tomahawk. The canopy stretched and the kite never flew straight again. Episode 2 was a line snapping leading to the overstressing of the other line on the same side. The result was both lines on the right side of the kite breaking. It happened so fast it was impossible to tell whether the front or the rear went first. Episode 3 was coming through a hard bottom turn with a kite loop. All 4 lines snapped at the same instant (from my perspective) BOOM kite gone. The front lines failed at the sewn loops and the rear lines ripped through the tabs on the kite. Obviously one snapped first and cascaded the rest, but it was so fast it may have well been all at once.

So, a single snapped line can easily lead to kite damage and/or a cascade failure. It happens so fast that one line letting go can easily overload more lines.

march_in
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa
Gear: naish park

Postby march_in » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:43 pm

maybe this time

pj sofine
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Style: silly
Gear: naish pivots 9,11, rpm 7,8,10,12 cf raptor ltd 136,140

Postby pj sofine » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:51 pm

Bushflyr wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:50 am
pj sofine wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Never heard of a kite self destructing from a line failure.A line breaks,the kite falls from sky.Any damage is caused by what happens after break,not the broken line itself.Any extra stress on remaining lines is inconsequential.
That's not exactly true. I've had a a front line snap in the middle of a jump resulting in a hard tomahawk. The canopy stretched and the kite never flew straight again. Episode 2 was a line snapping leading to the overstressing of the other line on the same side. The result was both lines on the right side of the kite breaking. It happened so fast it was impossible to tell whether the front or the rear went first. Episode 3 was coming through a hard bottom turn with a kite loop. All 4 lines snapped at the same instant (from my perspective) BOOM kite gone. The front lines failed at the sewn loops and the rear lines ripped through the tabs on the kite. Obviously one snapped first and cascaded the rest, but it was so fast it may have well been all at once.

So, a single snapped line can easily lead to kite damage and/or a cascade failure. It happens so fast that one line letting go can easily overload more lines.
I guess I've now heard of it happening! That being said it sounds like you have a dark cloud following you :o 17 years and I can count on one hand witnessing a line breaking.And you wonder why everyone avoids being downwind of you :out:

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:41 pm

LOL, 3 episodes since 2000 isn't too bad. :D And the 2 line failure was in an approaching hurricane. So only really 2.

ldmelo
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Fortaleza
Gear: F-One Bandit V 9m

Postby ldmelo » Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:27 am

I once had a problem in one of my front lines when I was very far from the beach. It was a nightmare... the kite started looping uncontrollably and crashed. I ended up having to use a self rescue technique (swam to the kite and grabbed it.. then sailed back to the shore).

After a while I found out that the line didn't break.. it simply detached from the kite. So it was my fault... I was distracted and didn't set up the kite correctly. I learned the lesson and since then I always double check the connections.

Anyway.. the kite didn't get any damage itself, but the next day I noticed that the bar was unbalanced. One of the back lines got stretched, maybe 1 or 2 centimeters. It probably happened when I was fighting, trying to make the kite bring me back to the beach. Luckily there is an easy solution: stretch the other line.. I followed the instructions of some videos on youtube and got both lines equal again.

march_in
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa
Gear: naish park

Postby march_in » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:42 am

Thanks guys for response, i have almost brand new kite in which tip is thread apart and i'm just wondering if it should be covered by warranty.
I will try to attach photos one more time. It seems it didn't work before.

Return to “Kitesurfing”